Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

OilSlick posted:

I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. For those who don't know it's a show about a serial killer who is also a blood splatter analyst. In the opening credits Dexter is going through his morning routine and there is a close up of him cutting what appears to be an orange and squeezes the juice out of it. But the inside of the orange is this weird red slimy stuff that doesn't look like any orange I've ever seen before, so I often wondered what kind of fruit it was.

It's a blood orange.

I dunno, man, for fruit-literate people, that's really not very subtle at all (but then neither is Dexter from 3rd season on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Little Blue Couch posted:

My problem with that scene stems from a combination of the language and the fact that Tarantino cast himself, the writer and director, to say it. First of all, he's got a stupid face and a stupid voice and he's a bad actor. Second, that he wrote those lines, presumably knowing that he was the one who was going to deliver them, rankles me for reasons that I can't really put into words.

Not that I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I'm pretty sure he was actually planning on having Eric Stoltz play Jimmy.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Who is Lucy Liu's dad and a big time Kung Fu movie actor, so he's in it for lots of reasons.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514904/

What is it with the weirdly racist Asian jokes in PYF lately? :psyduck:

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
It's kind of borderline to call it subtle, but my favorite thing about Hot Fuzz was Simon Skinner jogging right up alongside Angel at the beginning and confessing to murder.

"Lock me up. I'm a slasher... of prices."

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Little Blue Couch posted:

I'm watching ep 19 of the second season of Breaking Bad,

What kind of hosed up TV sorcery is this?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Another subtle Inception thing: Ellen Page's character, Ariadne, is named after the character in Helladic mythology who gave Theseus the ball of string that he used to navigate the labyrinth.

This goes hand in hand with the theory that Ariadne was hired by Cobb's wife to execute an inception for him to wake up.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
It's probably been mentioned, but the bars in the World's End describe the plot of the movie.

-The First Post is where they start
-The Old Familiar is where they first encounter Sam
-The Famous Cock is where they can't drink because Gary is banned for famously being a cock
-The Cross Hands incites the first fight scene
-The Good Companions is short and uneventful and probably the last time they all get along
-The Trusty Servant is where the Reverend Green gives them insight to what's going on (and where Olliver becomes a trusty servant)
-The Two Headed Dog is where they fight the twins
-The Mermaid involves robots seductively drawing them in to pull them under (like Mermaids)
-The Beehive erupts into an all-out loving brawl
-Before arriving at the King's Head, the King (Gary King) is punched unconscious. Upon waking up, he immediately heads out on his own
-The Hole in the Wall is where Steven drives a car through the wall
-The World's End is obvious

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Most of them like the Hole in the Wall are pretty obvious, but there's some like the Cross Hands that isn't even mentioned before they go there.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
In The Big Lebowski, John Turturro plays an irritating pederast who is introduced to the movie to a Gipsy Kings cover of Hotel California, a song made famous by the Eagles. Later, the Dude is thrown out of a cab for remarking that he hates the loving Eagles.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Riptor posted:

When I saw this in the theater the woman behind me took a deep breath and screamed at the absolute top of her lungs. Scared the poo poo out of me way more than anything in the actual movie

Like, she wasn't actually startled or anything, she just saw something creepy and unsettling and took the moment to PREPARE herself to make some noise about it like it was a loving NSYNC concert or something?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
In Winter Soldier, in the scene when Nick Fury is waiting for Steve in his apartment, the song playing on the stereo is 1945 wartime hit "It's been a long long time." Minutes later, Steve is reunited with someone he hasn't seen since World War 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Ferrule posted:

Three. And there only needed to be one.

As far as sanitation/janitor - it was only there for a stupid throw-away line "does this thing have a trash compactor?" because ha ha ha remember that from the first one?

The movie was rather dumb w/re to fan service.

I feel like TFA is better for people who have never seen a Star Wars movie before, because they don't have to be annoyed at the callbacks which otherwise are thematically consistent and make sense.

I'm sure any private in the military would love to throw part of their chain of command into the garbage.