Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Last 15 posts in this thread posted:

This thing that happened is actually a really obvious thing/callback or part of the plotline- did you notice that? I did.

I'll do it too. Six minutes into "The Nines", G gives away the whole plotline and explains the whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Jesus, it's a key plot point and blatant foreshadowing. Not at all subtle. If you missed it the first time watching the movie then you weren't in the room.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Those are jokes. Not sure if you're aware of what those are.

(90% of this thread is really about how goons don't understand what the word "subtle" means.)

It's a meta-joke-thing.
:ssh:

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to note. There's a very fine line between "demanding artist" and "loving insane" and Kubrick was at best dragging his sack right along it for the bulk of his career. There's no denying he was talented as hell, but he also gave zero fucks about the well being of anyone he worked with and people like that are generally not considered to be sane. I'm not sure what the currently accepted psychological term is, but I believe the classic is "motherfucking psychopath".

*so·ci·o·path
/ˈsōsēōˌpaTH/
Noun
A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
All the talk about Primer... I was unimpressed by the movie and caught the twist way too early but I might have to watch it again.

I did, however, watch Disney's Hercules over the weekend and there's a point where he's posing for a painting wearing a lion head crown and he throws it on the ground. The lion's head is Scar's from "The Lion King". Made me chuckle.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just gonna sperg out about how awesome The Lego Movie is for a minute.

-Emmet has a poster for the movie Teen Cops in his apartment, and The Lego Movie is written and directed by the directors of 21 Jump Street

-During the beginning of the movie when the construction workers are calling out parts or whenever the Master Builders are building things all the names and part numbers are the actual real-life names and part numbers of those bricks.

-One of the characters, Princess Unikitty, has a non-articulating body made out of Legos so whenever she sits down her entire model changes.

-The titles for the different areas (The Old West, Middle Zealand, etc.) are actual objects that you can see hanging around in the background of different shots and even get broken apart at one point when a spaceship flies through them.

-Vitruvius being blind only gets mentioned once but there's tons of little background gags based around it, like Vitruvius hugging a pig instead of Emmet during the stagecoach chase.

-The twist that the events of the movie parallel a boy playing with his Legos gets foreshadowed in a lot of little ways: The time between the opening scene and the rest of the movie is 8 1/2 years and the boy looks roughly 8 1/2 years old, Lord Business' ridiculous height makes sense when you realize that he's the kid's dad and as such he sees him towering over him, Wildstyle and Emmet hold hands instead of kissing because of course that's how a little kid views relationships, and Lord Business' rants about "special snowflakes" and everybody getting a trophy and how Emmet isn't special are pure angry_white_dad.txt and make the kid's relationship with his dad even more depressing since it's obviously something he's overheard his dad saying about him.

-The movie's soundtrack is inspired by circuit-bending so not only is the movie made out of toys but the soundtrack itself is as well.

Legowns.

It is a great movie but I don't think you actually understand what the word "subtle" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
The Leftovers season two is one of the best things ever put on film. I'm actually a bit disappointed they got picked up for a third and final season because it can't be as strong as season two.