Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kylink posted:

Here's a subtle possible coincidence in The Shining: whenever Jack talks to the bartender, Lloyd, there is a bright, shining light behind him. The reason I think it was intentional was because there is a major contrast between Jack and the Bartender; it's very dark behind Jack, but almost blindingly bright behind the bartender. I think it was a neat cinematic choice on the behalf of Kubrick, even if it didn't have a deep meaning to it.

All right you want to get into Kubrick's The Shining? There's so many subtle things in that movie that I'm sure I know of just a fraction of them. I'll list what I do know:

Mirrors and imperfect symmetry: The very first scene in the movie has these with the lake reflecting the surface above. Rooms like the bathroom where Jack meets Grady is symmetrical, though not perfectly so. The twins in the hallway look almost identical, but aren't perfectly so. A scene shows Jack reflected in a mirror, talking sarcastically, but when the shot changes to him not reflected in the mirror, he honestly opens up to his wife.

Indians verses the white man: It's said in the movie the hotel was built on an Indian burial ground. Later in the movie Jack is throwing a tennis ball against the Indian paintings on the wall, sort of attacking them, and near the end when he goes totally nuts, Wendy's hair is down giving her the appearance of an Indian squaw.

The numbers 1 and 2: Referenced in various ways throughout the movie "Two ten's and two twenties" The numbers on the blood elevator, "KDK 1 calling KDK 12"

Mazes: Not just the hedge maze, it starts getting maze like as soon as Jack enters the hotel with directions for finding the manager's office.

E: A couple more I remember:

Jack visually shows how he's mentally unraveling: Keep track of his beard growth throughout the movie.

This has all happened before: By the end of the movie we definitely know Jack has been there before. The ballroom scene played out much like it did in Jack's past life. There are hints that the cycle has played out more then twice.

Jack represents the past, Danny represents the present/future: Jack references the settlers stranded in the mountains on the way to the hotel. Once there he spends time reading about the hotel's past while Danny learns to navigate the maze of corridors and the hedge maze. Near the end, Danny navigates his way out of the maze and out of the cycle that Jack is stuck in.

Landerig has a new favorite as of 03:22 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Old James posted:

http://www.geekosystem.com/impossible-shining/

Does an analysis of the architectural layout of the Overlook hotel based on the panning shots and finds it is a paradox. For example, the camera follows Jack up a flight of stairs, makes a u turn and goes down a hallway with doors on each side. Not much different from any other hotel hallway except the doors on the right can't have rooms behind them as the transition shot from the staircase to the hall shows that wall is only a few inches thick. Read the article, its a great explanation of how Kubrick is loving with your sense of spatial relationship to make the hotel even creepier.

Holy poo poo I never even noticed that. I knew for years that mazes played a big role in the movie, but leave it to Kubrick to make a movie where 30 years later we're still finding new details.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

mr. stefan posted:

In the first two Addams Family movies, Morticia's face is never fully illuminated, but is always in shadow with only her eyes lit up. This is always the case, even in group shots where everyone else is fully lit.

I'm gonna look for that next time I watch it. It's been awhile but I don't think that applies in the first movie, or at least not in all scenes.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Whipstickagostop posted:

In Terminator: Salvation, Connor sets up a portable stereo playing "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses to trap and re-purpose a motorbike terminator to use in a final assault on skynet.

This was the same song he was listening to in the second film, while riding his motorbike, shortly before he first met the terminator.

Maybe not so subtle but near the end when John Connor gets scratched, the scratch pattern matches the scarring seen on the 45 year old John Connor at the beginning of T2.