Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

The reason you can't see anything in the Cloverfield video is because it's really loving tiny.

Here is a slightly better one. Don't look for the actual object, look for the splash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFbgViZ6X5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chamale posted:

The falling object was very clear in the theater, but that Youtube video is very bad quality compared to that. I looked at the video and couldn't see much of anything, but in the original movie you can see it.

Yeah. I saw it pretty clear in theatres but it's hard to see on a tiny youtube screen. I could just barely make it out in the youtube I posted (only when he replays it the third time), which is why I said "slightly better".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The thing about the Cubs beating Miami in the World Series is that they won't play in the World Series, they're in the same League.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

QCIC posted:

There's another moment in Django that's rather understated but, I think, thematically connected to the movie's portrayal of the Southern aristocracy as hilariously evil. When Christoph Waltz's character had just bought Jamie Foxx's wife, and they're sitting in the parlor, he starts to flash back to the scene where a slave was ripped to shreds by attack dogs. He gets up and asks the lady playing "Fur Elise" on the harp to "stop playing Beethoven." He doesn't just say "stop playing," but makes it clear that he despises the accouterments of his German heritage being used by people who justify slavery as "traditional" and are obsessed with Western culture. This is paralleled by Broomhilda's German upbringing, Candie's advocation of phrenology, and the venue of the mandingo fighting being called "The Cleopatra Club." Thus, when Candie tries to make Schultz shake his hand, he is not only asserting the personal dominance of his character, but also the dominance of his way of life--he says that "it's customary to shake hands in the South."

Another part of this is Candie being referred to as Monsieur even though he can't speak French.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

InediblePenguin posted:

But diphenhydramine is actually a legitimate antihistamine - it can be injected to treat anaphylaxis, and that's not "oh well now I'm sleepy so I guess my allergies are better" - so in what way is it a placebo?

Subtle TV moments:

Game of Thrones, season 1 episode 2, when Sansa still thinks she's going to marry Prince Joffrey and have a fairy tale, and then Arya goes all swordy at Joff and ruins Sansa's future:

that blade placement

I don't know if it's subtle but Arya's pet wolf (each of the kids had a wolf) attacks Joffrey and gets away. So instead they kill Sansa's. Sansa sold out her family to the royals and her wolf (her family symbol) dies.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IntelligentCalcium posted:

So this isn't a movie, but it was still pretty subtle and I had to laugh a little when I noticed it.

So the old early 90s Justice League toon (the one with Bruce Timm working on it) is on Netflix, and being bored I decided to watch a few episodes this weekend. In the episode(s) "A Better World", the story initially focuses on a parallel universe where the JL have become the Justice Lords, establishing an authoritarian regime on Earth and filling Arkham with a menagerie of supervillains who have been lobotomized by Superman to make them docile (indicated by two little dots on their foreheads where Supes' heat vision penetrated their skulls).

There's an excellent subtle moment where the 'normal universe' Justice League are walking through Arkham, and there's a pan past a number of the usual villains of the show; when the camera reaches The Ventriloquist, the lobotomy marks are on the puppet Scarface instead.

(PS watch the Bruce Timm DC stuff it's really good)

That would make sense considering that the Ventriloquist isn't the one who's evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean if you never leave your mom's basement i guess you wouldn't, sure