Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
In Watchmen the Comedian's 45 has a little engraving on it. It's a thank you and commendation from President Nixon. Another one of those things you never see on screen but like the LoTR examples, one of those things that made it feel more superheroey to the actor.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World does have a ton. My favorite two have to be that every ex has their number referenced somewhere in their scene, with Scott being "Zero" as Ramona's current boyfriend. And the second time Scott goes into Gideon's club the guy chatting by the entrance says something along the lines of "It was better as a comic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The Katayanagi Twins(5 and 6) also have an 11 in their scene.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Captain Finance posted:

From Monsters, Inc:

Pixar loves doing this stuff. Off the top of my head in Finding Nemo:

Boo's mobile can be seen in the corner of the Dentist's office, along with a Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

When the aquarium fish are detailing their escape plan there's a shot of them crossing the street from the perspective of being inside the bags. The truck that drives by as they approach the street is a Pizza Planet delivery truck.

And I think they hid a few Toy Story toys in the kids' rooms in Monsters, Inc.

I'm probably also missing a ton of these.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm probably going to butcher this but my favorite part of the Kill Bill movies is how the action changes based on what country the Bride is in.

When she's in America(Copperhead, Elle) the fights tend to be brutal knockdown, drag out brawls with improvised weapons, people getting thrown into tables and walls, and basically destroying whatever set they're in. The American scenes are also where you're more likely to see someone just shooting the target instead of risking going into hand to hand combat(the wedding massacre, Budd waiting for The Bride with a loaded shotgun.)

When the Bride hits Japan to track down O-Ren she fights the Crazy 88 in a style very reminiscent of samurai films. Highly choreographed scenes of the hero taking down multitudes of enemies with single sword strikes that kill or otherwise disable her opponents, accompanied by huge fountains of blood.

China's scenes with Pai Mei are more leaned towards wire fu style fighting and the "fwip! fwip! pow!" sounds that accompany movements in old Kung Fu movies. Pai Mei parries or avoids the Bride's assault endlessly and even when you think she's landed a hit it's just another one of the old Master's tricks. As was mentioned before the training montage is also full of shots and zooms reminiscent of the genre of film. Right down to the orchestrated 70's music that plays during the initial battle.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Speaking of Dark Knight Trilogy, the first time I saw Batman Begins I totally missed that the criminal that Crane gets committed to his asylum early in the film is none other then batman villain Victor Zsasz. This lends a different subtext to the scene directly following it because, while this sparks Rachel to accuse Crane of falsely claiming insanity for Falcone's men, comic book readers know that Zsasz is completely off his loving rocker and well deserving of a spot in a loony bin.

There was an arc in the comics where Batman had himself thrown into Arkham for "killing" a cop that was dressed as a mugger. It was all to expose the new director and figure out how Zsasz was killing people while committed.

Zsasz received another nod in The Dark Knight. The Joker's reasoning for why he uses knives is lifted almost word for word from an inner monologue Zsasz has while murdering a guy in an alley. Pretty fitting since TDK Joker ditched a lot of the clown aspect in lieu of being a violent psychopath and Zsasz's thing was killing entire families and then posing them to appear in the middle of a family dinner or evening of television.

For other content. Watched Space Jam with my nephew last week. When Michael is pulled into Looney Tune land 2 things:

When he lands you can see Yosemite Sam coiling up the rope that pulled Michael through the golf hole.

When Michael gets pulled through the hole one of his shoes gets pulled off in a cartooney fashion. If you look Michael only wears one of his golf shoes until Bugs and Daffy retrieve his basketball gear from the real world.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Armyman25 posted:

I was watching the Coen's True Grit tonight and noticed that "Lucky" Ned Pepper has four leaf clover grips for his six shooter.

I wonder if prop guys ever just do this kind of stuff because they finished their piece but the item in question won't be in a shot for another two weeks. In Watchmen the .45s in The Comedian's apartment have something like "Richard Nixon - 1970" on the grip.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

KozmoNaut posted:

Similarly, the sheer amount of detail and quality of the props in Blade Runner came about because filming was halted for months for various reasons. All the downtime meant that the prop guys could go completely all-out with detailing while they waited. The iconic neon tube umbrellas came about during that downtime. It's one of the things I absolutely love about Blade Runner, it feels so gritty and real.

Blade Runner is why I ordered one of these.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

My favorite callback was with Sergeant Fisher(?) At the exploded house he tells Angel he'll take care of the press and starts detailing his perfect Sunday to Tim Messenger. Later during the aftermath of the miniature village he's in front of a TV camera and you can hear him say the phrase "... my perfect Sunday..."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So in Brother Bear Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis have a bit part as a pair or bull moose. When they make their exit off the film Rick Moranis has the line "Hey, you know what this calls for? A pile of delicious barley and amberweed on a cool bed of malted hops, eh.". A reference to Bob and Doug McKenzie, the beer obsessed brothers they're playing throughout the movie.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ItsThatGuy posted:

Also, in Terminator 2, when they're at Cyberdyne Systems and the good Terminator is holding off the police, one of the computerized eye messages that comes up is "Human casualties: 0.0" Why does he need the decimal point?

A casualty could also be considered someone who was injured badly enough that they can no longer fight in any capacity. If you cripple a guy you didn't kill him but he's not going to be on SWAT anymore. Kind of like how there were a ton of earlier weapons that would rip a guy open, but wouldn't necessarily kill him. Because if you hurt a guy badly enough he's not fighting and his buddy that drags him off the field isn't fighting.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The Terminators were also originally machines wired into Skynet for use by human militaries. The overlay from Arnie's point of view is probably just one of many holdovers that Skynet never got around to replacing. Kind of like how in Salvation the control terminals had USB ports.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Choco1980 posted:

Perhaps as an apology for how many drat times he says it in Pulp Fiction?

Doesn't Archer have to add "Balls" every time someone says Benoit's name in that episode?

Yeah, it's almost a compulsive tick by the end.

An recurring one in Archer I like is that as the series goes on everyone at least mentions that ISIS' building gets dirtier and grosser. Which makes sense when you remember Mallory murdered all the cleaning ladies for unionizing.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

They have another few instances of relevant or funny beer labels in the series such a person he's after drinking Dead Guy Ale.

In Wristcutters Eugene reveals that he killed himself on stage by dousing his electric guitar in beer. He does so with a bottle of Dead Guy.

Encino Man wasn't a great movie but I caught one while it ran in the background. When Link is in the museum he watches the staff assembling a skeleton. When they put the last rib in he touches his ribcage with a :smith: face. They're referencing Adam and Eve. He misses his wife/mate.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny

When Jack and Kyle are going into the Open Mic Night towards the end they argue over the pick in front of a wall of posted bills. One of them is for Prostitute Laundry from Sifl and Olly.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Ez posted:

Nearly every line of dialogue in that movie has a double meaning or a hidden reference or something. One of my favourites is after Pete yells at Ed at the beginning Ed says "Next time I see him, he's dead". And sure enough...

What Pete yells is "If you wanna live like an animal, GO LIVE IN THE SHED!" Which is another setup.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Ez posted:

It baffles me how Snyder can go from making 300 and Watchmen which were awesome to Sucker Punch and Man of Steel which are absolutely loving terrible. What happened Zachary?

300 really doesn't hold up. I haven't been able to finish it since its opening weekend.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If it's sequence breaking I'd say it's actually making fun of gamers since it doesn't work, Ralph is happy for all of five seconds afterwards, and it almost destroys the arcade.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
At the end of Saving Mr. Banks there's a big map of Florida in Walt Disney's office. The end of the movie is just before Disney announced "The Florida Project" aka Disneyworld.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

nothing to seehere posted:

In Dodgeball, at the end where they recieve the winnings in the chest there is a label that you see for less than a second saying "deus ex machina". Just rewatched it and burst out laughing at it.

This was basically the director saying gently caress you to the audience.

Dodgeball originally ended with Ben Stiller taking Vince Vaughn out of the tournament in the finals. The director and producer were baffled that test audiences didn't find the ending as funny as they did. So they set up the whole "Double Fault/Sudden Death" thing with the Deus Ex Machina chest being a reference to the fact that the super happy ending was tacked on.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Trump posted:

The rod showing was clearly an error.

It actually pisses me off to no end that Lucas would put mentally challenged CGI monsters in every Star Wars movie to "enhance the experience" while ignoring the lovely rotoscoping on some lightsabers/spaceships that could actually use brightening up.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Was just passing the time with Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I never noticed that when the Katayanagi Twins blow the roof off the venue you can see the moon. If you look the hole that Todd punched in it is visible.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Lap-Lem posted:

In A Mighty Wind they build up a song by Mitch and Mindy which is sappy and romantic. At the end of the movie they are putting on a concert and all the other bands are there. They are down in their dressing rooms and the stage audio is piped in. Mitch and Mindy start singing the song, and it flashes to the other bands, who all say something to the effect of "Oh, it's the song". The other bands all file in to the offstage area. Now it seems like, "oh they want to see if they kiss, just like us, the viewers". The song ends and stuff happens, whatever. Then all the other bands file on stage for the finale. The other bands were not piling up backstage because they gave a poo poo about if Mitch and Mindy kissed, that song was the last song in the set, and was the other bands cues to come backstage for the finale. I thought it was a cool way to pull the rug out from under your feet.

Except one of the Folksmen recognizes the song as "that really pretty one" and turns up the volume. They also wonder aloud if the kiss will happen. As they leave they're even making small bets on it as they leave. The New Main Street Singers might not care, but the Folksmen were at least a little invested in seeing if the two would kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Darth Freddy posted:

Really though this was the most bad rear end thing when I was kid. The only person in the entire pirate fight that had some kind of armor on. Then he freaking died.

It's why Goons love it. Rufio spends all his time learning how to be an amazing pirate killer and Lost Boy. He dies.

Thud spends all his time eating giant pretend sandwiches and getting fat. He kills like 20 pirates and gets to be the leader.