Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.

My favorite subtle moment in The Usual Suspects occurs towards the end of the film, during Agent Kujan's interrogation of Verbal Kint. In one shot, Chazz Palmintieri walks behind Kevin Spacey, who is seated in a chair with the camera trained on his face in profile. While Palmintieri is in front of him, Spacey's face is completely blank. When Palmintieri steps behind him, the tiniest, barest hint of a smile appears in Spacey's eyes. By the time Palmintieri is in front of him again, his face is blank again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Raising Arizona is full of little things and subtle moments. It's even one of the main themes of the film: "it's a hard world for little things."
I've never seen Raising Arizona, so I'm curious -- "It's a hard world for little things" is a line from The Night of the Hunter. Are there other Night of the Hunter references in the movie?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Usual Suspects

One of my favorite subtle movie moments in all of movie history is this: There is a scene in which Kujan is interrogating Kint, and Kujan briefly steps behind Kint as he's pacing to the other side of the room. While Kujan is moving behind him, Kint gets the teeniest tiniest glimmer of a smile in his eyes, and by the time Kujan is standing where Kint's face is visible to him, the smile is gone.

Kevin Spacey is incredible.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I might be making something out of nothing, but I watched Locke the other night, and in the opening scene you can see Locke's license plate begins with something like AD10, which looks like, "A dio" i.e., "Addio," which in Italian has an air of finality that "Adios" and "Adieu" do not. It's something you would say to someone if you were leaving them for the last time. Which is what happens later on when he's fired and his marriage dissolves over the phone.