Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching the director's cut of Alien and noticed something interesting:
When Kane starts examining the egg sac in the derelict ship, you can see the moisture dripping up from the sac. This meant they filmed that moment of the movie with the camera upside-down and the egg hanging from above. It's another thing that helps sell that there's something unusual about the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pretty much, but with 46% less incest.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be fair, with enough training you can learn not to blink/flinch when using firearms. I can't find it now but Jackie Chan talked about how he'd prepare to use guns in his movies. He said he'd fire a couple (blanks) in a safe direction before filming to get used to the noise the gun would make, so that when the cameras rolled he wouldn't flinch.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw Lone Survivor on Friday & during the rescue scene you see an Asian guy with un ugly mustache sitting in the back of the Chinook helicopter with the other SEALs. That's supposed to be Petty Officer 2nd Class James Suh, one of the 11 SEALs killed during Operation Red Wings. The fact Peter Berg made it a point to cast people that at least looked like their real-world counterparts (even if they're shown on-screen for a second) was pretty neat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Wild T posted:

Not only that, but they're both Vietnam allegories. Aliens had marines directly modeled after Viet Nam era soldiers, down to the graffiti on their body armor. They rely exclusively on their superior firepower, aircraft and righteousness and get absolutely massacred by a low-tech enemy that utilizes numbers and the terrain in ways they can't counter with their fancy weapons.

Predator pretty much takes the same stance, only amps it up with a cast of the biggest, meanest-looking 80's action heroes. It's a giant middle finger to the Reagan-era revisionist Vietnam movies like Rambo II - the jungle takes out the equivelant of six heavily-armed Rambo types with barely a scratch. Until Dutch goes all Colonel Kurtz they never even get a good look at it, let alone get into a position to defeat it*.

*Except I guess Billie, but he just tried to do what Dutch did and failed miserably.
If you want to get even more :psyduck: James Cameron wrote Rambo: First Blood, Part 2 and Aliens (which he also directed). The similarities between Rambo shooting up the control center and Ripley destroying the egg chamber are hard to ignore.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dredd struck me more of a Lawful Neutral character.

Content: The station wagon seen in the background when Tyler Durden fights The Narrator in the parking lot in Fight Club was also used in Fincher's other movie The Game when Nicholas Van Orton is hiding from James Rebhorn. Apparently it was a production coincidence when Fincher asked for "a beat up old car."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not going to lie, I'd love to see a hard-R version of Hook.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Waroduce posted:

Someone talk about Solider and blade runner thing

There's some connections as pointed out on this Blade Runner wiki. Helps a lot that writer David Peoples also did a script rewrite for Blade Runner.

Edit: Haha there's a Captain Ron reference in Soldier.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is what True Detective Season 2 tried and failed to be.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is that an actual tar baby?
:stare:
:froggonk:
:dogbutton:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Obdicut posted:

It'd be insanely fast, and again, the basic premise doesn't work because you'd still have plenty of very smart people in that population. It's a fun movie but the premise has no basis in reality, and it doesn't have to. And comparing IQ's validity to global warming is ridiculous.
I think the thing people are missing is that the dummies are breeding at a faster rate than the smart folks. Add to the fact a growing sense of apathy from the smart people to have kids and you'll have more dumb people voting than smart people on things. Eventually you will have dumb people vote some dumb people instead of smart people in charge because the pool do smart people is smaller. I mean it may be happening right now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

Stormtrooper gets shot and falls into a sarlacc pit, you hear a loud, aggressive AVENGE ME from Willem Dafoe circa Spider-Man 3

If you're going to choose an "AVENGE ME!!!" Scream, you need to use the Harry Dean Stanton one from Red Dawn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3FRRXqazw

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite subtle movie moment about that drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark is that it's one one long, uninterrupted shot.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kuiperdolin posted:

Forrest Gump, and they run it into the ground so much they run out of A-list celebrities so by the finale he's meeting, like, the mayor of Cincinnati or something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I really loved Joi in the film. She's like a spiritualized descendant of Samantha from Her.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I pity Lois if Clark dutch ovens her.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lol: if you don't think Bats isn't a power bottom.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Since Thor: Ragnarok came out this weekend, I’ll hide it under the spoiler tag:
In the movie, Skurge mentions that he picked up the two M16 assault rifles from Texas & that he named them “Des” and “Troy,” so together they’re called “Des-Troy.” This can also be a nod to two Dallas Cowboys players, Dez Bryant (wide receiver for the Cowboys 2010-present) and Troy Aikman (quarterback 1989-2000, won 3 Super Bowls).

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Nov 4, 2017

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also, AFAIK there aren’t that many famous female Renaissance artists known enough to name a Ninja Turtle after.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for reminding me “Every Frame a Painting” is over. :negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think Split is legit good and definitely worth checking out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Memento posted:

I saw The Happening in a real cinema I paid actual money to go into, I have zero forgiveness in my heart for M Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rq-7zEVuwI
ACTING

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hollismason posted:

That Mad Max moment is I am pretty sure lifted from a Samurai movie where one of them goes off then come back with a bunch of weapons covered in blood.

I remember in Seven Samurai when Kyūzō runs off into the night & comes back with 2 rifles, saying "Killed two."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Remake all the movies, but make them all The Ewok Adventure.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHc-O9MBGnw

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I still recommend watching Annhilation, in the theatre if you can. The visuals are pretty great & I think they're worth seeing on the big screen.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just checked and yes, the title cards do exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Go73Cyi3o

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mission to Moscow got theatrical release.

I know that because I saw it in the theatre with my friends.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Police Academy 3: Back in Training introduced me to the idea of a short Asian man can score with a tall busty blonde woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jkWHo8D_s

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw Police Academy 3 before Sixteen Candles. :shrug:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spielberg’s oner in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Marion’s competing in the drinking contest is kinda short but amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Captain America: Civil War kinda addressed Spider-Man’s public exposure by showing that he’s a YouTube phenomenon, though it’s more other people filming his antics than Peter taking pics/vids of himself.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When Dr. Mann was revealed in Interstellar my friends & I looked at each other and said the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPWJOJYVKc

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don’t think anybody’s denying that those guys are villains. I think people like them because there is an actual understandable motivation that drives them to be in conflict with the protagonist.

I like Baron Zemo because he’s one of the few Marvel villains that actually succeeded* in his objective (drive apart the Avengers).

*until Avengers: Infinity War.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, because a movie that revolves around Toomes going to court to sue Damage Control over property rights would make an exciting 90 minutes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Like Walter White became Heisenberg, Toomes became The Vulture.
edit: loving BEATEN

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doomwith my East Indian friends when growing up was… awkward.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
… but it is a lot of fun. The How Did This Get Made? Podcast with the director is great, as she in essence crowd-sourced the movie from fans and gave them exactly what they wanted. Alas, non-fans were left scratching their heads.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Let us not forget the very brief moment Frank Castle was Captain America after Steve Rogers was killed.

If here was ever a prescient image of what America would become, this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cat Hatter posted:

Lately Marvel comics has been throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks before they hand ideas over to their much more lucrative movie division and I'm really curious what they'd be workshopping with this.

I’m firmly of the belief that Marvel Comics is now the testing ground for stuff they can get away with in the MCU. In the comics they’ve replaced most of the Avengers (Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor) and I wouldn’t be surprised at all of it was to have an actual basis for when they replace Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, et al.