Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Phy posted:

Considering that the Nostromo was literally a refinery (or hauling a refinery, something like that) I think the decision to make it sort of run-down and grubby was exactly the right one, even aside from the pristine nature of most SF films. It's like any industry where the profit motive has priority - you clean where you can, especially on poo poo where grime can gently caress up the company's machinery, otherwise it's your rear end. If someone dies because the grime was obscuring a crack in a process pipe, welp. And if stuff breaks you bodge a fix toot sweet no dogfucking. The motion tracker and flamethrower in Alien were very much in that spirit, now that I think about it.

I thought it was kinda implied that the motion tracker in Alien was specially built for Ash by Weyland-Yutani to track the xeno? I can't remember the exact dialogue, but I think Ash said it was triggered by changes in air density, which is a pretty bullshit reason.

Not quite sure how WY would have the tech to do that, but still.

e: Ripley says "Micro changes in air density, my rear end", not sure where or when, though.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU