Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Having recently re-watched Breaking Bad in its entirety (had vacation days to use up and travelling is currently not a thing, sue me), while also watching Malcolm in the Middle, I noticed something both shows did that is too specific to be coincidental:

In an episode of Malcolm that shows the same story from the points of view of different characters, one key plot point is a power outage caused by a mylar balloon.

In BB, Mike deliberately causes a power outage in order to break into a building. He does this by simply letting go of some mylar balloons under the power lines.

For anybody wondering why one show would reference the other, Bryan Cranston was the protagonist of both.
Yes, he definitely was the main character of Malcolm in the Middle. Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would not be at all surprised that there's references to the older show, especially since both could arguably have some common themes.

I had one other example of something that seemed just way too specific to be a coincidence, but I put off posting for so long that I forgot what it was.

Then there's the automatic pitching machine Hal builds that reminds me of the trunk gun from the BB finale, though that's broad enough it's probably a random similarity.

edit: I just remembered (after asking the person I watched the episode with lmao, definitely wouldn't have ever remembered on my own):

Hal spends an entire episode gradually losing his mind over a bee, culminating in him hurting himself while trying to kill it.

In BB there's a bottle episode in the lab, with Walter losing his mind over a fly, with him also eventually hurting himself while trying to kill it.

Cranston put his experience acting against CGI insects to good use in BB, something like that is hard to make compelling, but he pulls it off.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Nov 13, 2020

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
I miss Homer's old catchphrase, "shut up, boy."
Said it in most episodes the first couple of seasons.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Good ! Now do Better Call Saul. It doesn't have mylar balloons, but someone does line his house and clothing with mylar.

Watched both shows and that El Camino movie.

Not so subtle movie moment: watched the last couple episodes of BB and then the movie immediately afterwards. The movie takes place during the events of the final season, but was filmed like five years later.
The guy that plays Todd gained a lot of weight in those couple of years, which is pretty jarring when going straight from the finale to the film.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

lmao*

*The a stands for Arsch.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
There's something about Mary:

Magda, the old lady that's always hanging out at Mary's place, mentions her habit of making herself a banana split after boning.

During the film's denouement, she appears from the kitchen with some old dude and is eating a banana split. It's only subtle in the sense that no attention is drawn to it, the bowl is barely even in frame and only very briefly.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
In The Terminator, the titular terminator is missing its eyebrows for most of the movie after having them burned off in one scene.
I think its hair also changes to look like it got singed.
It looks really dumb.

In 8 Mile, Eminem implies that the film's main antagonist can't be a proper gangsta because his real name is Clarence.
Eminem has clearly never seen RoboCop.
This is one of the many subtle ways the movie shows how miserable his life in the trailer park really is.

Also, The Terminator and RoboCop make an excellent double feature.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Doesn't 8 mile take place in Detroit too? Is 8 mile secret Clarence Bodiker's originally story?

Papa Doc/Clarence retroactively being a young Boddicker could work.
Don't think his last name is ever mentioned in 8 Mile and RoboCop obviously takes place in the future.

And Anthony Mackie playing a younger Kurtwood Smith would probably still be more convincing than that time he played Tupac.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
At the end of Resident Evil, Alice gets captured and then it cuts to a short sequel hook epilogue.
It is never stated how long she was held captive, but it can be inferred by more of her roots showing under the dyed blonde hair than during the rest of the movie.

Side note, can somebody please remind me what the current thread title is in reference to?
Besides the Duke Nukem Ventrilo bit, of course.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Alec Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where he pulls a pair of brass balls out of his briefcase as a prop for his dumb motivational speaker sales speech.

Lmao, right, that.
Thanks a bunch.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Chicken Run II
Was about to post in the IIMM thread about the escalator steps having flat fronts, which I found very annoying.
Googled "60's escalator" first and it turns out they really used to look like that, so I'm posting here instead.
Still looks bad, but it's period accurate, so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, there's a neat little Aardman throwback cameo in literally the last few frames of the movie.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Bloodsport begins with a montage showing tournament staff setting up the location for the kumite. The whole sequence struck me as weirdly cute.

I think it's because the expectation for a legendary underground fighting tournament is for it all to be presented all shrouded in mystery and whatnot.
Instead you get guys pushing brooms and checking the decorative lighting.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Wild Bunch
The titular Bunch blow up a bridge in order to stop their pursuers.
Pike, the leader, stops to taunt the ones trying to cross right as the charges go off.
Rather than doing the Cool Guy thing of not looking at an explosion, he actually flinches when it happens.
The movie obviously predates that cliché (right?), but I'm so used to it that it made me appreciate this already excellent scene even more.

Edit: It might have just been on account of his horse being startled, to be fair.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Galaxy Quest
Somehow I'd never noticed before that Guy is wearing a generic jumpsuit with some small alterations he presumably made himself, rather than a screen-accurate uniform like everybody else.

Also, when the Commander is first showing the crew all the neat alien crap, Tim Allen perfectly conveys the giddy smugness of a guy who has done a thing exactly once and now thinks of himself as in-the-know.