Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Lemony posted:

I'm just bummed that they apparently cut the music numbers for live action Mulan. I just wanted my wirefu alt history musical. :(

Maybe it's part of a secret plan to excise all of their good songs out of their movies, likely so they don't have to pay performers and songwriters (because with Disney it's always about not paying talented people if at all possible). I think Aladdin's the only one so far that actually kept all their crowd-pleasers, and I don't want a Mulan without I'll Make A Man Out Of You.

I'm morbidly curious what they'll do to The Little Mermaid. It's largely probably the movie in their canon that begs for the fewest changes, it's already both perfect for their audience and dodging most criticisms, both valid and not, you could throw at it. Which means you don't have to remake it, but they're still doing it, and there's like twelve possible ways each that they could either gently caress up or validate the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Len posted:

Beauty and the Beast had them all didn't it?

I think it did, but I also don't really remember any more than like, three songs from Beauty and the Beast in the first place, and one's just because I have a friend that sung one for karaoke once.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Jedit posted:

Sequel. It makes me want to give a nine year old girl the original story to read. loving sequel.

The sequel has one of the most realistically horrifying scenes in a Disney animated movie, where a girl very nearly drowns alone in an underwater cave, so if anything the sequel would prepare them a little better for the original story.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If you haven’t seen it and don’t notice the ominous box cover?

People say Dark City is a good twist if you watch the right version or skip a sequence at the very beginning of the wrong one but never bothered to rewatch to see why.

It's because the original opener has a monologue that explains the entire plot of the movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're not really retcons but wasn't there a "this character was actually there at this scene you watched in the other movie" thing with a reporter in iron man 3 that Tony had brushed off in an older movie? There's also Jake Gyllenhall's villain origin story being a scene from civil war, and the whole thing about "your parents were MURDERED by winter soldier!" reveal in that same movie.

It's totally in line with their practices to have a new villain show up for this movie and have them reveal that they caused the accident.

Similarly not quite retcons, but I've seen a decent amount of people genuinely angry that so much of the MCU's Spider-Man, including his villains, all just become extensions and repercussions of the rest of the MCU, mainly Tony Stark.

And I think that's a pretty fair complaint. Peter doesn't even get an Uncle Ben this time, his entire character is essentially reacting to Tony Stark's presence, actions, and eventual absence. He doesn't actually get any of the things that really make him Spider-Man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

bony tony posted:

I assume the other plans were "we're not killing off a marketable character".

I bet they knew they were killing off someone big, they just hadn't completely decided who it was until much later in production than you'd think.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More importantly - it's an extremely Muggle thing to say, instead of some convoluted wizard swear, because Arthur bloody loves everything Muggle.

(I have not done a comprehensive analysis of all swears in the books, so maybe other wizards use it too)

Yeah, this is what came to my mind, too.I feel like the only other exclamations like that in the series are from followers of Voldemort, who use his name for that sort of thing.

I'm also not going to go and check, because gently caress J.K. Rowling, but given Arthur's a muggle-weeaboo it's make complete sense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

Superhero movies are one where it’s not uncommon for sequels to outdo the original. Sometimes even the 3rd movie pulls it off.

My guess would be because you get the origin out of the way.

This is a trap they make for themselves, though. Studios have convinced themselves that every superhero series needs to start with the origin story, even if we already know it. So it's not even that 'superhero sequels are better', it's more 'superhero debuts are worse'. It doesn't even have to be that way, because it's not true of most of the big superhero movies before, like, Spider-Man. Reeves' Superman didn't have to have an origin story, the 1989 Batman only kinda did by basically intertwining Batman's origin into an otherwise normal Batman/Joker story, Blade didn't even pretend to bother, X-Men was more an 'introduction story' than an 'origin' for everyone but, like, Rogue.

It's probably just Spider-Man and Iron Man accidentally setting a precedent everyone's now scared to deviate from. Raimi's Spider-Man specifically wanted to have a story about Spidey's early days, Iron Man had the challenge of introducing what was basically a C-lister with a relatively complex concept to a wider audience (a problem Blade didn't have, everyone understands 'vampire hunter'). Now everyone just goes 'but we need to do an origin story' without asking if they REALLY need to do an origin story.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I would like to request that everybody spoiler tag all mentions of Batman and The Joker being in The Dark Knight, because I think it makes for a really interesting surprise if people don't know that coming in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Byzantine posted:

"Bimbo" was still gender-neutral to the late 80s, with bimbette and himbo both originating in that decade to indicate which you were talking about.

Super weird how the only one of these three terms that developed into an endearing and debatably positive title is the one that's exclusively used to refer to men.

Total coincidences are crazy like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I'm no expert on baseball, but that isn't NEARLY enough time available to properly enjoy a baseball game, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I'm starting to form a theory that Tom Cruise is some kind of suicidal exhibitionist, and all his stunts are just failed attempts to kill himself in a way that's guaranteed to be filmed and seen the world over. And then somehow he fails miserably every single time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I remember reading that the reason Lazenby only got one movie wasn't because he was poorly-received, but because he spent the entire filming living as hard as Bond does and got burnt out after the one movie.

I can respect a man who couldn't handle playing Bond because he was too good at living Bond.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

When Swan (Paul Williams) auto tunes Winslow's voice in the studio, he keeps loving with the levels until it sounds exactly like him.

You're in good company with liking this part; when Daft Punk got Paul Williams in to be a vocalist on Random Access Memories, they start his song (Touch, AKA 'the best song on the album') with an extended reference to this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkhol2Q1og

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Nov 15, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Jedit posted:

That was book 2. Book 3 was the one about the Krikkit Wars.

I learned more about the sport of cricket from that book than I did from actually watching or playing cricket.

I really want to see the alternate universe where it ended up as a Doctor Who story like it was initially pitched.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Test Cricket is best cricket. I unironically adore a game that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins. There are stories within stories and battles within battles in every single test match.

Also, it is a sport which was explicitly invented as a way to get around "no drinking on a Sunday" rules.

I'm not one of those people who think professional sportspeople don't have 'real jobs', but I admit I do have a respect for a sport where a single match literally lasts an entire work week.

EDIT: And is sometimes as pointless as one, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

James Woods posted:

Whenever I rewatch old movies I love to read the IMDB trivia section and on a recent viewing of Home Alone someone quoted a pathologist who catalogued all the injuries Marv and Harry sustain. It's a fun read while watching the third act.

Medical history podcast Sawbones did a Christmas episode on the same thing. Including a guest spot from a legal podcast that talked about just how illegal everything Kevin did was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Cricket chat was a month ago, but just in case no one posted it all I needed to know I learned from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQB90K73pqM

It wouldn't be as funny if it weren't for the fact that is a pitch-perfect Wilhelm Scream.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

fartknocker posted:

Nope. That show only has the rights to Clarice and not to the character Hannibal, so they can’t feature or reference him at all. :v:

The fact that the rights to Clarice and Hannibal are separate is probably the most insane media rights snarl I've ever heard of. That's right up there with the baffling amount of companies that would need to okay a remaster of the N64 Goldeneye.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Soysaucebeast posted:

That's hilarious, because in the book the slippers are silver already. The movie made them red to show off the Technicolor technology more, and that idea just stuck.

I don't know if the Wicked Witch was green in the books, but I do know that every time Disney's tried to make something that uses her, they use the closest shade of green they can get that's still legally distinct from the one in the original movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I don't want a modern Home Alone focused on adult Kevin so I can see him do the same trap-based shenanigans. I want to see it so that I can find out Kevin got to move away from his neglectful and borderline-abusive family.

...poo poo, I've always wanted the anti-Christmas movie about someone who learns that they don't have to deal with all the ceremony and visiting family if they don't want to. Maybe that's just about Kevin McAllister.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Bogmonster posted:

My kids recently watched the most recent Home Sweet Home Alone movie on Disney plus. Spoilers in case In the canon universe, Kevin regularly prank calls his brother Buzz, who is now a police officer, from his implied job as owner of McAllister security.

It's a pretty bad film.

I'm sure that movie sucks, but Kevin getting into home security at least makes a lot of sense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Warbird posted:

One thing I’d love to know is if Movie Sonic was intended to be there the whole time or if it was a sub in for another character. It’s been long enough since the first movie that the timelines likely line up but it seems like it would be pretty close to get that planned and implemented.

There were a couple interviews with the director about him, and it definitely sounds like he wasn't a sub-in; for as long as that character was in the movie, it was always that character. And apparently it wasn't an easy swing to get him (as you can imagine), he was legitimately thanking the lawyers for that one.

There was at least one instance of a character sub-in, and the director was open about it in interviews, so reasonably no, the one you're talking about wasn't. Apparently the idea for the villain was always going to be essentially a dark take on a child star, but the first idea was a grown-up Charlie Brown. It turns out Peter Pan was a much easier direction for that, although I'm not sure how much they knew that the backstory they gave Peter Pan was almost exactly the same story that happened to the original voice actor for Peter Pan, which kinda makes the joke less funny and more sad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Len posted:

there's no way that was an accident

I'm torn on if it was an accident or not. Because it does feel weirdly on-the-nose, but it's also, yeah, really cruel to take that angle intentionally for that reason. At the same time, though, it's also a very natural direction to take that character if you don't know.

If you're going for an angle of 'child actor gone wrong' in a movie like that, there's a lot of funny novelty choices, but the most feasible pick probably was Peter Pan, just because you run into less problems; you cast Charlie Brown in that role the Schultz estate won't really like it, but if you're making it for Disney then there's less people in your way if you're using a Disney character. Add to that the fact that Peter Pan's whole story is 'the boy who never grew up', suddenly he's a very natural pick for the role. And if you're picking a point in a male child actor's life where they suddenly become 'not marketable as a child actor'... you're going for 'when his voice drops', that's a natural pick, because you instinctively know that's something that happens. Unfortunately, all of those perfectly reasonable decisions in isolation leads you into accidentally giving your fictional 'first Peter Pan' the exact same horrible life events as the real-life first Peter Pan. Whoops.

Personally, I would've cast an actual ex-child star in the role instead of Will Arnett. There'd be an element of self-awareness that would go a long way if he were played by, like, Haley Joel Osment or Neil Patrick Harris.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I feel like the thing that makes the Lego Movie feel older might be that it's basically the last movie that cast Chris Pratt as a comedic actor and not an action/dramatic one.

It's kinda weird how you can draw the line pretty much EXACTLY after the Lego Movie, too. It's Lego, then there's Guardians of the Galaxy, and with the exception of Parks and Rec wrapping up and a single guest spot on Mom it's ALL actions and dramas until you hit the in-production Mario and Garfield movies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hot Fuzz I remember does do the thing where the second half of the movie is going to the same places as the first half in reverse.

There might be a few fudges there, but I believe it broadly holds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I feel like the World's End works a bit better if you know Doctor Who. The specific type of sci-fi that it's riffing on isn't really a popular modern-day thing on the level of zombie or cop movies, except for the part where Doctor Who still does it regularly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

bitterandtwisted posted:

You just triggered an ancient memory of that number being recited as a musical jingle on some show, possibly "Live and Kicking"
I even remember they altered it when the number start changed to 0181

Thanks brain, good use of resources

Could be worse. You can remember a jingle for an actual number; all my brain's managed is the jingle to a fake emergency number from The IT Crowd.

But knowing The IT Crowd, I suspect that joke was based on the jingle you're remembering. It certainly had a lot of 1s and 8s.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But... but the joke is that its like 40 digits :stare:

It's not THAT bad, 01189998819991197253 is only twenty digits!

A dumb subtle and probably unintentional bit about that joke, to fit with the thread: part of the joke is that it's trying to be easier to remember and harder to confuse than the old emergency number, which one character tries to recite and accidentally says the US emergency number. The new, 20-digit number does include both the UK and US emergency numbers, so it somehow is successfully serving that purpose!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
While not a movie, the Great Ace Attorney games were neat about trying to turn Holmes-style mysteries into something actually solvable.

There's also an entire case devoted solely to dunking on The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Gaius Marius posted:

Speckled Band was fine, Red Headed League was some bullshit.

Another case also has an entire gameplay mechanic devoted to calling the Red-Headed League's mystery out as some bullshit.