Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not really profound in any way but in American Psycho, after one of his victims comes out of the closet to Bateman just as he attempts to strangle him, Bateman goes over to the sink and washes his hands in disgust, but he's still wearing the leather gloves he had on to make sure he didn't leave any prints. Kind of a weird little detail but it always makes me laugh when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The LotR trilogy was absolutely loaded with subtleties, in-jokes and obscure references. The imdb trivia pages list a bunch of them:

quote:

Although David Bowie was said to be keen on playing Elf Lord Elrond, the part went instead to Hugo Weaving.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that would've owned (though Weaving was pretty great in that role anyway)

quote:

While Christopher Lee was always Peter Jackson's first choice for the role of Saruman. Jackson did consider Tim Curry, Jeremy Irons and Malcolm McDowell for the role.
Those might've been even cooler to see.

E: Forgot about this-

quote:

During the council scene in Rivendell when the fate of the Ring is being decided, when Boromir makes his plea for the Ring to be brought to Gondor, the "Gondor theme" can faintly be heard; in "Return of the King", when the characters finally reach Gondor, this theme is heard as a full orchestral piece. Composer Howard Shore didn't plan out that this Rivendell background music would develop into the "Gondor main theme" by the third film, but it ultimately did evolve into it.

I loved it when I realized this, but I thought that Howard planned for this all along (which would be far cooler in my mind)

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Jun 7, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ozz81 posted:

Still a favorite of mine from the original live action Ninja Turtles movie:

In the scene where Raphael meets and fights Casey Jones, gets dumped in a trash can, and pursues him up the street after, Raphael rolls over the hood of a taxi. The guy in the back seat that sits up and asks "What the heck was that?" is the same guy who does Raphael's character voice for the movie.

The dig that Raphael makes at Jose Canseco in that scene ("A Jose Canseco bat? Don't tell me you paid money for this!") went way over my head when I was a kid because I had no idea who he was. Then a few years ago when I re-watched the movie it finally made sense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In Captain America, when Red Skull finds the Tesseract at the beginning he says "and the Fuhrer digs for trinkets in the desert". I'm sure there's a historical basis for this line but I like to think that it's an Indiana Jones joke.

VV Yeah, I knew there was some WW2 fought in North Africa. I meant artifact-hunting in that area specifically.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jul 1, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We can talk about TV shows here, right? I doubt I'm the first person to notice this about Game of Thrones, but in a fantasy setting without dwarves in the "fantasy" sense, I like that the one dwarf character uses an ax in battle, a typical "fantasy dwarf" weapon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
While we're on this tip, I haven't seen the movie in a while so I can't remember how noticeable this is, but when Walter pulls a gun on the other bowler the Dude warns him that "they're calling the cops". Right after there's a scene where they go to the parking lot and see the dude's car missing, and if you look in the background two cop cars pull up with their lights on while they're talking.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watched Jurassic Park for the first time in a long time tonight, and when Dodgson gets out of the cab to meet Nedry he leaves without paying the driver. And not only does the driver come around to help him out of the cab and to get his fare, when he realizes he's been stiffed there's about a half second where he's still on camera and mad dogging the poo poo out of Dodgson.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's a great movie for little moments like these. A few more I noticed/forgot about-

-Hammond said he brought his grandkids over to see how "his target audience" would like the park, but in an earlier scene they talk about how Hammond had to miss an investor meeting because his wife was going through a divorce...implying that the kids were more likely there to shield them from the divorce proceedings.

-When they're eating lunch after seeing the raptor paddock, one of the pictures in the background shows what looks like the visitors center that ends up being in Jurassic World.

-Grant on the helicopter finding a way to make his seatbelt work with two "female" belt clips.

-Muldoon dying to the same raptor side attack Grant described to scare the kid at the Montana dig.

-Nedry testing the shaving cream transport can and then putting the shaving cream on a piece of pie a la whipped cream. Not a metaphor or anything, I just think it's a really funny visual gag.

A lot of these have probably been mentioned in this thread already but gently caress it, this movie is so good.

Mierenneuker posted:

This was my favorite JP thing upon rewatching it as an adult.

That's the good poo poo when you've studied English.

We were watching it on Netflix with the subtitles on, and the caption for his first line was preceded by [Scottish Brogue], which I thought was a really funny (and necessary!) thing to include.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also Malcom spends the early part of the movie alpha male-ing Grant every chance he can get, but when Grant does something alpha male-esque in the animal sense (staring down the T-Rex and getting it to run off after a road flare) Malcom immediately tries to do it too and gets messed up for it.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Which is ironic because part of why that film has aged so well was its incredibly smart uses of practical effects. Th scene where the T-Rex breaks out of its paddock still looks great.