Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Something I really love about A Clockwork Orange, movie and book, is that Alex never uses common figures of speech until after he is "cured". The use of language in the film is a really involved way it conveys someone's status in the movie's structure of the powerful and the abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nochte posted:

Early in Hot Fuzz the Andy's are asking if they should interview everyone in the phone book starting with "Aaron A Aaronson" (or something close to that). At the end of the movie, when Pegg asks the kid that was being held as a hostage by Skinner what his name is, kid replies "Aaron Aaronson".

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

When Pegg's character is new in town, he thinks a woman is calling him a fascist when really she's saying the answer to a crossword puzzle. He says "hag", as a solution to another clue on the puzzle. Later, in the gunfight at the end of the movie, the two characters scream the same words at each other.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrGreenShirt posted:

It also ties in with his pseudonym "Clint Eastwood" :ssh:

I first watched Back to the Future III years before I saw A Fistful of Dollars, and until I saw the latter movie I figured Marty was using his futuristic knowledge of bulletproof vests to come up with the oven-door shield.

I hope no one actually needed that spoiler text, because everyone should watch Back to the Future and A Fistful of Dollars.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

prahanormal posted:

I had to replay this video at least 4 times before I even saw the splash, and I still can't see any object. If it's intentional then it's way too unpronounced.

The falling object was very clear in the theater, but that Youtube video is very bad quality compared to that. I looked at the video and couldn't see much of anything, but in the original movie you can see it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Life of Brian there is this once scene.

Brian: You can't let people tell you what to do! You're all individuals!
the crowd: YES WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS
one guy who pipes up afterwards: Oh I'm not

Apparently that was a total adlib from a extra( who then got paid a little more because he had a speaking part)

There's another great scene where Pontius Pilate is interrogating Brian and the royal guards are trying not to laugh. Their restrained laughter is genuine, as the extras playing guards were told they would be fired if they laughed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arschlochkind posted:

I loving love Star Wars, but ever since I was little I tend to fall asleep during Return of the Jedi. Don't know what it is about it but the middle act makes me sleepy.

Oddly, I get easily bored by some movies with too much action. Something with a lot of slow moments like 2001: A Space Odyssey or The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly really draws my attention.

quote:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Fixing the two typoes, that post reads "This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put no effort into them as an act of protest."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Watching Die Hard, its full of this stuff.

Police Guy: I have 30 guys down here covered in glass!
John: Who gives a poo poo about Glass?!

What's the subtle moment supposed to be here?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just noticed a nice touch in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. There's a scene where Blondie, the "good guy", is smoking a cigar and notices he's sitting on a box of explosives. The scene is framed so you can only read "EXPLOSIV" - the movie was also released in an Italian dub, and the Italian word for explosives is "explosivi." The scene works in English or in Italian, and it's the only written text in the movie that doesn't get read aloud by any characters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

Also, pretty sure the whole bit about the Cubs beating Miami in the 2015 World Series was both a jab at the Cubs' drought and a rare serious attempt at predicting the future by saying Miami would get an MLB team which was all the sports world was talking about at the time. It also led to a whole bunch of urban legends over how BTTF2 predicted the 1997 World Series which will make the actual prediction, the 2015 World Series, more fun to watch.

I Am Legend correctly predicted which teams would play in the 2008 Super Bowl, although it didn't get the winner right. Now I want to know about more movies that incidentally predicted the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Almost every single fantasy sequence in Sucker Punch is foreshadowed in the opening scene. The burst of steam when the stray bullet hits the pipe is the same as the way steam gushes out of the clockwork WWI zombies, the way electricity sparks from the burst bulb is identical to the way that the robots spark when they're killed, etc.

That movie was so goddamned good, but there were 2 lovely movies in the way.