Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Donnie Darko

During the 'Mad World' montage of all the characters, they are all doing something that ties them back to the storyline, but my favorite is the guy who plays Frank reaches up as the camera pans across and rubs his eye. The same eye he gets shot in by Donnie.

Such a nice subtle touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

S-Alpha posted:

This is more a general Lord of the Rings thing, but Gimli asking for one hair from Galadriel's head is a reference from Tolkien mythology, expanded upon in Unfinished Tales. In it, another elf, Feanor, asked three times for a strand of hair from Galadriel, and he was denied all three times. When Gimli asks, though, he gets three strands. Now up to here it's all in-book stuff that's irrelevant here.

What the movie adds is Gimli recounting his request to Legolas, who responds with no words, but just smiles warmly. But he has this sort of knowing look in his eyes, which, knowing Jackson and Walsh, is certainly intentional. He knows the story, and the significance of getting three hairs. I thought that was a cool thing on Jackson's part to put in, having Gimli recount the story to the one guy who'd know the meaning behind what Gimli would see just an abundant act of generosity.

At least, I'd like to think it's intentional, otherwise it's just reading way too far into it. :spergin:

I suppose Legolas' look may have been intentional, but there's a scene in the extra stuff where Peter Jackson is saying it would have basically been impossible to film Gimli receiving his gift, because hairs aren't going to show up on camera in the first place. So they decided instead to have him relate the story to Legolas. That's why he's the only one not shown getting his gift directly.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lemon posted:

If there is still any confusion please consult this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiAbDkXDgg

This is absolutely glorious. Even got James Hong as a cameo. Perfect.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jedit posted:

Brit here, and I've never heard it as Pizza Hut. It was Taco Bell in the cinema, it's Taco Bell on the DVD.

I have never seen nor heard tell of a Pizza Hut version until this thread.

It's ingrained in my brain as Taco Bell because I had the (mis)fortune of actually working at Taco Bell at the time and oh god the promotional materials for months and months...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CzarChasm posted:

I just watched a youtube that went over the Avengers movie we almost got in the 70s -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGKPu8_38uo
To shortcut it, Dazzler, leading the (then) Avengers (plus Spider-man) in a three way battle in Fantasy Apocalypse New York against Donna Summer and the Village people against Cher and KISS. Rodney Dangerfield was being tossed around to play the villain - Evil Triplet Lawyers and Robin Williams was going to be playing basically Hoggle from Labyrinth, tricking Dazzler into fighting this war, but turning against his masters out of love for her.

I believe he even says it in this video, but I was already thinking it by the time he laid out the pitch: cocaine is a hell of a drug.