Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In Blade Runner, one of the giant video billboards is a beautiful woman swallowing a pill. There's no text as I remember, but the other billboards you see are for Coke and the offworld colonies. Just an interesting bit of barely-noticeable world building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chamale posted:

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

When Pegg's character is new in town, he thinks a woman is calling him a fascist when really she's saying the answer to a crossword puzzle. He says "hag", as a solution to another clue on the puzzle. Later, in the gunfight at the end of the movie, the two characters scream the same words at each other.

Chekhov's crossword solution.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not 100% sold on your theory, FourLeaf. I just rewatched the anime section since its the easiest to find on Youtube and compared to some other clips, it does look like Bill wears a ring but it doesn't seem to be the same ones as shown in the animated clip. That would be Cool As Hell if it were the case though, and I'd like to be proven wrong.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Here's one I'm not sure about, but if it holds up then I like it a lot. In Falling Down, the breakdown in D-FENS' relationship with his wife is repeatedly talked around but never about. When she's discussing why she's afraid with the cop who came to her home, she says something like "he never hit me... not exactly", and there are several mentions of something violent happening that precipitated their divorce.

My theory is that he killed their dog. Their house in Venice has a "Beware of Dog" sign and the home movies he watches have a dog in them, but as I recall we never see it anywhere but that video.

Now that I've typed all this it doesn't seem that amazing, but I like it because it adds depth and story to a character that I already think is really interesting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Usually, I don't enjoy their films during the first watch but find myself viewing them over and over again anyway to the point where I wind up liking them. Full Metal Jacket comes to mind as the best example.

The first time I watched that movie one of the friends I was with was just so loving tickled with Pyle's suicide scene he spent the rest of the night rewinding the tape over and over, to the point it started to wear out. Didn't get to finish it that night because the rest of us decided to do something less crazy.

That's my story.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Let me guess, this story ended with "They later found his storage unit full of hooker torsos" :stare:

He's actually the sweetest bear of a guy, which is part of why it was so weird that he kept rewatching those two-odd minutes.

kenny powerzzz posted:

Jelly donuts actually.

:golfclap:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just finished watching Dredd for the first time. There was one shot (when he uses the incendiary round across the atrium) that reminded me strongly of this iconic image of a war crime. The angle they're coming in, the locations of the people, it felt pretty deliberate anyway, especially since burning those dudes was totally unnecessary. I thought it was in line with the... questionable... morality of the Judge system and Dredd in particular - I've never read the comics so maybe I'm reading too much into this and should stay out of D&D for a while. Anyway Dredd is certainly a hosed-up dude and it would seem to fit with the overall themes that they would try to evoke that connection.

Chard has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Jun 22, 2013

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The worst thing about both Primer and Upstream Color is that the main guy, the writer/director, has an incurable case of backpfeifengesicht.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't recall anyone but you saying that Cabin was trying to be novel. It wouldn't work at all if there wasn't a massive and trope-ridden catalog of slasher/horror flicks. I honestly think you're kind of missing the point of the film if you expect it to teach you anything.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Timecrimes: while Hector 2 is posing the young woman, he stands up at one point and you can clearly see him hold his wedding ring hand. I thought it was a nice foreshadow for how Hector 3 resolves the roof situation.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Memento posted:

The Wolf

It's not a very good show, but Sons of Anarchy had an episode where Stephen King basically reprises that role. His take is a lot creepier but funny as heck.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rockcity posted:

That might just be coincidence. If you're holding it up vertically that's how anyone would tear something, regardless of content.

I think there's about a zero percent chance that that scene wasn't deliberate.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm rewatching Kill Bill because it's too hot to do anything involving moving, and I noticed this:

The cereal box where Copperhead hides her gun is called "KABOOM"

Also, there's this cool flow between this painting behind The Bride...:

That echoes the branch in the window in the immediate next scene...:

Which emphasizes both The Brides' focused rage and the the gunshot Copperhead gets off by distracting The Bride with chatter, before getting knifed.

Chard has a new favorite as of 03:15 on May 17, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nvm

Chard has a new favorite as of 06:44 on May 17, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall the scene but they could just be talking about manned flight.

Men are filthy beasts, certainly they could not succeed where apes have failed/not given a poo poo? :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Morton Haynice posted:

Yes, I really thought I'd found something so obvious you guys would make fun of my density for not noticing before. I guess I still deserve it, just not for the reasons I initially imagined.

Honestly I can see it and think it makes sense so don't feel too bad about it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Only tangentially related to movies but anyone who likes The Warriors should try to track down the PS2 game. It's a blast and quite faithful to the film as I recall.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In the new Robocop film there is a nice changeover with the whole robot/human spectrum. First. the corner of his visor HUD reads "Threats Remaining" and is counting down during the anti-robot training exercise, but changes to "Threats Neutralized" counting up as a kill-streak when he's raiding Vallon's warehouse near the end and is massacring "innocent" gangsters. At the end there's no POV visor-cam at all, and he's as back to normal as that gets when you're just a brain and lungs.

The rest of the movie is pretty ham-handed but fun.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Any alcohol not taken from the bottle/intravenously is a sign of weakness

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think you kind of have to interpret "subtle" in the context of Superheroes as a genre. Anything short of stating what you mean clearly, in different short words, thrice, qualifies under that banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

John Big Booty posted:

The Elfman brothers have always been big on Cab Calloway:

FYI the preview image for this has a lady's titty all out, maybe give it an NWS/linking?