Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just re-watched the first John Wick, and I'd say there's some distinctive henchmen. There's the guy who's security for the mob boss, who's actually good and manages to stay alive pretty much up to the church scene. There's a weird guy with a funny beard who seems like head security for the club, doesn't really do too well, and another guy at the club who actually notices Wick in time to end his stealth spree, and actually fights him for more than 5 seconds.
That's not even getting into the named henchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I'm just disappointed that the hacker wasn't Dash Rendar.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

One of the best little things is the Warboy who screams "witness" during that chase in the fortress, as he falls past max and all the way to the ground.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

That's nice and I hope Brad eventually learns how.
Hahahahaha.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I've seen even less episodes, but wouldn't that be terrible spycraft? Yeah, I'm sure they do it when they're alone, but if a single person hears them wouldn't the game be up immediately? Or are their characters supposed to be russians, who love america.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I think they just smash the whole thing back? I don't remember glass shattering.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Technically U-boats are submersibles, which can dive but need to spend much of their time at the surface to recharge their batteries with diesel engines. Until they invented a Snorkel apparatus which allowed them to keep at least most of the sub underwater for as long as necessary. Also, batteries improved so they could dive for longer. So him hanging onto the periscope could allow him to be dragged along without drowning.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

One of the Andy's makes fun of Angel, saying more people in the country are armed than in the city "Everyone and their mums' is packing heat round here". He asks, who? The Andy replies "Farmers.....and farmers' mums!"

The first people Angel has to fight upon returning to the village? A farmer and his mum, packing heat.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Haha, I remember my mom sitting me down when I was like 13 or 14, saying you should watch this movie, it was one of your dad's favourites. It was Blazing Saddles, and it is a drat hilarious movie. Is there much in it that's offensive? I mean, Mel brooks as an Indian could be argued as racist, but it's not an unfavourable impression? Obviously the language can be a bit strong, but I wouldn't say it's racist or anything. But I'm white, so I dunno.
The other great movie that my whole family got down to watch that was my dad's favourite was Slapshot (AKA the best hockey movie [better than Mighty Ducks]). Unfortunately, he forgot about the nudity and explicit language.
I still think these movies rule, and I don't think, on the face of it, that it's super offensive. Possibly a bit of bigotry towards gays, since one woman is gay and multiple references are made that if she's a lesbian, does that make her husband a gay?
It's a shame though, since it is still pretty drat funny. Newman was the man.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I tried to watch slap shot and I lost my loving poo poo that he was out in public, in broad daylight, in the famous murderer's mask. The movie murderer who stabs people mask. The silence of the lambs i'm going to eat your loving liver mask. It was all I could think about. Fifteen minutes into the movie they're trying to associate who's who and what their motivations are and I'm googling for the history of the murderer mask and when friday the 13th first came out and whether the movie made actual real life hockey players figure out a different way to keep their teeth from flying out of their faces that doesn't associate themselves with psychopathic iconography.

I can't tell you a single thing about the movie I was too into that mask conundrum. You say it was a comedy, somehow? And it wasn't funny because a non-murderer was wearing the murderer's mask?

Haha, I'm really confused what you mean, and I've seen the movie a thousand times. What mask? Like a goalie mask? I can't remember anything like this.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Haha, yeah, they're both pretty good and they are almost exacting the same amount of hockey but mostly the hockey culture, which is definitely a hosed up and yet funny culture.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Not enough people talking about Jackie Brown in a thread of people talking bout good Tarantino movies. Super under the radar, even though in my opinion it has one of the best women characters in a movie, just in term of completely and realistically dominating a situation. Also has some time switching, even just to show a pivotal event from multiple perspectives.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I've posted this before, but it's my all time favourite horror movie since it's pretty much the only one I can think of that doesn't have any gently caress-ups. So many horror movies have parts where you just go "what the gently caress are you doing! Run!" or whatever, but that movie doesn't have any. Can you guys think of any other horror movies that are similar in the "characters aren't huge gently caress ups" sense?

I recently watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one from the 70s) and it had a few of those, (your friends went for a swim in the afternoon and it's getting dark, and the other guy you sent to look for them disappeared? Let's go look for them!) but I do have to admire the one girl's willingness to just nope out and jump through a window on the second floor.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cabin in the woods, once the twist is revealed.

Hell House was pretty good about it. Weird poo poo happens, but nothing like TOO WEIRD, and it's all just written off as dudes being jerks and then OH poo poo GOT REAL.

Yeah, I like the stoner character basically loving up an eons long plan to save humanity, because all the ganja prevents him from being afflicted by the stupefying drugs.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Plus, the guy had an unabashed love of tits. He'd specifically mention giving it a better review if the movie had nice ones. I mean, there might be some problems with that in the women's liberation sense, but it's pretty funny to me.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Solo is actively a bad movie, who basically damaged han solo's character. Instead of a guy who has these mysterious accomplishments and his own enemies, made over the course of a full life, we see that actually he did all the things at once, and his life was somewhat uneventful till that point. They just had to show everything he's famous for, and it ruins it since it makes it seem like it all happened at once

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of it. You really end up rooting for Christian Bale's character, since he's basically getting screwed from day one and puts himself into a bad situation in an attempt to get out of it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

franco posted:

Not quite the same but magician Paul Daniels did a live Halloween special in the 80s where, while performing an escape artist bit with an iron maiden, the door slammed shut on him, the screen dimmed, and an announcer in the studio told the audience to leave in an orderly fashion. Roll credits with no audio.

I saw it at the time and it freaked little me out. There were thousands of calls to the BBC asking if he was okay.

Good to know that American dad was following a historical event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuoG3arFQQ

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Card tricks are significantly less stress inducing I assume.

You're not worried about the magician shuffling and accidently having one card go flying off and cut someone's jugular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Fury Road totally tells you how the arm was lost. Remember the Big Rig's door? The one with the skeletal arm painted on it? Maybe you missed it, whenever the rig is just cruising the mechanical arm is hanging out the window. Obviously a habit left over from the lost arm.

It's actually a simpsons reference. Director just thought it crass to have the whole conversation..."how'd you lose the arm?'' Well, let's just say, when your teacher warboss say keep your arm inside the vehicle, you listen!"