Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012
Does Wallace and Gromit count as a movie?

Recently just watched The Wrong Trousers again and forgot how much I loved some of the little details:

There are two callbacks to the first film, A Grand Day Out, within the first two minutes, the first is the rocket mural on the wall and the second is the newspaper headline that Gromit's reading 'Moon Cheese Skyrockets!'

In another scene with Gromit reading a newspaper, one of the articles is headlined 'Dog reads newspaper'

Wallace keeps his piggy bank in a safe, behind a picture of a piggy bank.

When Wallace is fast asleep and walking up the side of the building there is an advert on the next building for sleeping pills.

The film noir and western references were completely lost on me as a child but there's a wonderful scene where Gromit is watching the Penguin and only his eyes are lit, leaving the rest of him in shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012

Augster posted:

In How to Train Your Dragon, Hiccup is left-handed, but he actually tries to use his right hand sometimes when trying to fit in with the others, when he’s trying to act in a traditional Viking way.

The most prominent instance of this is when he finds Toothless tangled in the ropes in the forest, and plans to kill him. During the “I’m going to cut out your heart…”/”I’m a VIKING!” speech, he’s holding the knife right-handedly:

But then he can’t do it, because he’s not like everyone else, so instead he cuts the ropes to let Toothless free… And he uses his left hand to cut those ropes:

In dragon-fighting training he tries to wield weapons in his right hand

But everything he's good at is different from the Viking way, and he uses his left hand:

I really like How to Train Your Dragon and think it's one of the best animated movies in recent years. Way better than some of the written-by-committee, toy-driven, oh and can we get some celebrity voices in there? stuff that's happened. (Robots. I'm talking about Robots.)

Content: In the same film, that all the shields, houses, boats whatnot are covered in dragon carvings/paintings. Makes perfect sense in context and while it's not the most subtle thing I can always appreciate world building.