Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
It's a rather common occurrence in movies for two characters to be in a car, one driving, the other a passenger. Often, these two characters will have an engaging conversation while facing one another (and the driver, of course, is not paying attention to the road). The scene almost always ends without a hitch.

I noticed a very small detail when watching Thor Early on in the movie, Natalie Portman's character is driving through the desert with (I believe) Stellan Skarsgard's character beside her and Kat Denning in the backseat. Portman is discussing something with Stellan's character and briefly turns to face him for a fraction of a second, when she immediately drifts off the road and almost loses control.

I thought that was a nice subversion of an all-too-common cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

bat duck posted:

In the first Scream movie the principal is alone in his office at one point and hears something in the hallway. He opens the door and in the hallway there's a janitor moping the floors wearing a wide striped green and red knitted sweater and a fedora, The principal then say something like "Oh, it's just you Fred!". This being of course a reference to Freddy from nightmare on elm street who wore the same outfit and worked as a janitor until he got killed.

As I recall, "Fred" was played by Robert Englund, the original Freddy Kruger.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
My favorite aspect of The Dark Knight Rises, I think, or at least the one I keep coming back to, is Selina Kyle wearing Martha Wayne's pearls at the end. It says so much about the character of Bruce and his development over the course of the trilogy.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

1stGear posted:

That's called an Oedipus complex.

If there was any relationship between Bruce and his mother in Begins, you might be right, but there seriously is none. At all. The two characters never interact.

The object itself is a reflection of Bruce. Its story throughout the films mirrors his. In the end, it illustrates that his character has come full circle by moving beyond the murder of his parents, giving up his death wish, and actually finding happiness and closure. Reducing it to a mere Oedipus complex is just juvenile and myopic.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Supreme Allah posted:

I would be more generous and say, if you missed it the second time. The first time, you can forget the little things. The second viewing becomes one long 'subtle moment' where everything has a clear double meaning. DID YOU NOTICE WHEN BALES WIFE SAYS SHE CAN TELL SOME DAYS HE DOESN'T REALLY LOVE HER, THOSE DAYS WAS THE OTHER BALE.

I read on the internet once that the bit where the wife is irate and screams, "I know what you are", the line was accidentally ad-libbed. The actress proceeded to freak out a bit, as she felt she'd just given away the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Plothole or not, it was definitely one of my favorite parts of the whole film. Sort of beating Batman at his own game.

Yeah, the Dark Knight Bruce Wayne is a little thick at times. Not so much the world's greatest detective. More like... Gotham City's.