Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

Robert Denby posted:

There's a lot of repeated dialogue in "The Big Lebowski". The conversations between The Dude, Walter, and Donny are made up of repeating dialogue more often than not. Towards the beginning of the film, we see Bush Sr. on TV talking about Saddam and he says, "This aggression against Kuwait will not stand." Later on, The Dude rephrases this. Also, the nihilists appearing in red with giant scissors... Look what's hanging up on Julianne Moore's wall a few scenes prior:

Also, the Dude postdated his check at the grocery store in the beginning of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
In Alex Cox's film Repo Man, Miller talks to Otto about thinking about "shrimp" or a "plate o'shrimp" and then suddenly somebody out of the blue mentions it; and how it is part of some large, cosmic unconsciousness.

Later on in the film two characters stand by a sign that says "plate o'shrimp"

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

Smelly posted:

This is really cool. I'm going to have to go dig up my copy of The Shining and watch it again, I missed quite a few things apparently. I always felt the layout seemed off, but I never thought about that.

He did something similar in A Clockwork Orange where there were subtle changes when Alex's mother and father were eating breakfast. It's really disjointing and has a great effect on the viewer.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

rockcity posted:

I'm rewatching Lost now and I just caught one. Early in Season 2 after they are in the hatch, Hurley is going through the records and comments on a Geronimo Jackson album. Early in Season 3 during one of the flashbacks, Locke picks up a hitch-hiker and brings him back to his commune. The guy is wearing a Geronimo Jackson t-shirt.

Young Locke also had a Geronimo Jackson sticker in his high school locker.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I noticed one in World's Greatest Dad, the Robin Williams film. His character, Lance Clayton, obviously has some love of science fiction and/or horror. He references zombies and Shaun of the Dead in a conversation with his neighbor, has a framed "The Thing" Mondo poster in his bedroom and in his office has a framed poster for Santa Claus vs. The Martians.

While on a date with Claire, he suggests they rent a movie afterwards and she remarks "Anything but horror" and he has such a resigned, sad look on his face. She suggests a musical and he just goes along with it and completely stops bringing up horror.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

First Tube posted:

I'm not sure if this is subtle or just common knowledge but all the references this movie makes to "Homer's Odyssey." For example, Goerge Clooney character is trying to get beack to his wife, the three women they meet by the river are like the sirens that Odysseus and his men meeta and John Goodman's character is referring to the cyclops from the book. I haven't seen that movie in years, but the similarities always stuck with me.

Also from The Fith Element, when Dallas brings an unconcious Leelou to cornelius, Cornelius calls Dallas, "Willis," but Bruce quickly corrects him and the scene just continues. It was a nice quick save on Bruce's part.

I always thought he called him Wallace.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I love Blade Runner and there's a great book, Future Noir, that details the making of it. For subtle moments, I love that Chu has a bar code tattoo on his face.

Also, at one point Tyrell was meant to be a Replicant and the real Tyrell was kept in suspended cryogenic freezing, I guess until he could find a cure for an ailment, Batty then killed the real Tyrell and Sebastian in anger

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

SimpleSandwiches posted:

In The Big Lebowski , Walter interrupts The Dude and Donnie while they're watching that performance-art-piece. He says he knows where the missing briefcase is and rattles off an address. Donny asks a few times, "That's near the 'In 'n' Out Burger'?" (Resulting in, IMO, the funniest, "SHUT THE gently caress UP, DONNIE!" in the whole movie).

The next scene is the interrogation of Larry and the memorable, "This is what happens, Larry...".

After they're chased away by the furious neighbor, the next scene is the 3 of them in the car, eating "In 'n' Out" burgers.

It's hysterical.

What's even more hysterical is that The Dude isn't even eating, he's just got that seriously angry stare the entire time.

Of course, that movie is filled with them. Like the fact that the Dude wrote a check for .69 cents or some small figure, but watch that scene again and you can tell it's been post dated, to I think 9/11 of all dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

Wild T posted:

Not to mention an apartheid South African government building a neutron bomb and threatening to nuke the blacks. The television news shorts in Robocop are great for quick jokes that encapsulate everything that was wrong with the 80s. And as you point out, even funnier that all the horrible things going on are drowned out by rampant consumerism and lovely television entertainment. I'm fairly convinced that Paul Verhoeven is a time-travelling social comedian, because all of his really over-the-top satire inevitably comes through within a decade.

And that the President was visiting the defense satellite at the same time that it "accidentally" misfired and killed all those people in Santa Barbara, including a former president.