Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OilSlick posted:

I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. For those who don't know it's a show about a serial killer who is also a blood splatter analyst. In the opening credits Dexter is going through his morning routine and there is a close up of him cutting what appears to be an orange and squeezes the juice out of it. But the inside of the orange is this weird red slimy stuff that doesn't look like any orange I've ever seen before, so I often wondered what kind of fruit it was.

It's a blood orange.

I didn't think that one was very subtle, but I eat blood oranges very regularly so I caught that immediately. A nice touch for sure though. The whole intro to that show just shows how immensely detailed and routine oriented that he is as well which plays into exactly how he kills people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm rewatching Lost now and I just caught one. Early in Season 2 after they are in the hatch, Hurley is going through the records and comments on a Geronimo Jackson album. Early in Season 3 during one of the flashbacks, Locke picks up a hitch-hiker and brings him back to his commune. The guy is wearing a Geronimo Jackson t-shirt.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I was just watching Dogma and noticed a small thing I hadn't caught in the past. In the scene toward the end of the movie when the George Carlin cardinal character is talking about his church he uses the phrase 100 years young, which is an expression that Carlin has a whole bit about hating in his one of his stand up specials.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

In 21 Jump St, Channing Tatum comments that the new drug they're invenstigating tastes like "BBQ cool ranch." The gym teacher, who is eating Cool Ranch Doritos in basically every scene he's in, turns out to be the supplier.

I never managed to put that together which is odd, because now that you say it, I can picture him doing it in every scene. I guess I just associated that with him just being a lovely, low-effort teacher.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Conal Cochran posted:

In Spider-Man at the parade Mary Jane is wearing a red dress. Harry asks her why she didn't wear the black dress because his father loves black. Later, during Thanksgiving, she is wearing a black dress. Harry says she looks beautiful and Mary Jane seems to really want to make a good impression.

In the opening credits of Trick 'R Treat they show several scenes in comic book panel form. One of the scenes is a silhouette of the trick r' treaters walking against a red background. The panel is almost identical to the poster for Halloween 3.

The Trick 'R Treat one makes total sense. Halloween 3 is a real horror movie buff favorite.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure if this counts as subtle or not but I ever noticed it before: In the The Dark Knight Rises when Bane rips up the picture of Harvey Dent he tears it straight down the middle of his face.

That might just be coincidence. If you're holding it up vertically that's how anyone would tear something, regardless of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and when the guy is speaking in Indian, he clearly says "Mila Kunis" when the subtitles say "fine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yb9v0s0jo

Not sure how subtle it is but I bet quite a few people missed it.

It's not subtle at all, that exact moment was in all the commercials.

Edit: whoops, missed the next page. drat phone posting.