Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tytan posted:

It's been ages since I saw it, but I'm sure I remember a shot during that interrogation where Verbal briefly glances up at the underside of the coffee cup as the agent takes a sip from it. Of course at the end the cup is smashed, and it's revealed that the underside has the name "Kobayashi" printed on it.

I really need to watch that film again, so many little moments that you don't catch on the first viewing.

(Usual Suspects) There's also one quick moment where the agent acts like he's going to punch Verbal, and Verbal instinctively raises his lame arm to deflect the blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just saw The Prestige yesterday. Where do I even begin.

Presumably whichever brother Angier happened to ask on both occasions wasn't the one on stage that night.

I don't see how that could be right because Borden writes in his diary that "one half" of him swears he used one knot, the other half the other. Far as I can tell, the only way that makes sense is if the twin who did tie the knot that night lied to his brother and claimed he used the normal knot.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The save the entire ship in a deleted scene.

I'm not even kidding.

Jesus how did she look that good at 50 years old

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I dunno if it's especially "subtle" but Rec 3 starts with an All Your Base reference and what I assume is a joke about Japanese pronunciation.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Women resisting initially but giving in 'cause the guy is such a good kisser is pretty common in movies made before, say, 1995.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

eightpole posted:

Who gives a poo poo about bi characters?

Bi people & non-assholes might

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Well uh lots of people think representation in media matters? If it doesn't matter to you, cool, but that doesn't mean everyone who cares is wrong

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

:waycool:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Imagined posted:

The film has Leonidas make a big deal about how important their shields are in covering each other and then aside from a few moments they basically ignore that.

Well they hardly need phalanx formation to deal with the respawning persians who are trickling in rather than grouping up at the entrance to the pass.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I don't like the scene where Bilbo becomes a goblin and tries to grab the ring from Frodo because ~in the book~ it's meant to show that Frodo is already changing, not that Bilbo is a horrid little monster. Would have been difficult to film that way maybe

peer
Jan 17, 2004

rantmo posted:

Except that he's coming back in Spider-Man 2.

can't wait to see keaton perform the "it's so good" line

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Cleretic posted:

For content: Age of Ultron is mostly mediocre and has no real connecting tissue to link its events together, but there's one scene I really like, where everybody, slightly drunk after a party, tries to lift Thor's hammer. There's a bunch of good character moments sprinkled throughout that scene (my personal favorite is that Rhodes tries to help Tony, but doesn't give it a shot himself), but the most important one is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where Steve Rogers manages to shift it a tiny bit, and nobody but Thor notices.

Yeah this is the only scene I remember from that movie

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Everyone hates on the aliens and the CGI, but nobody focuses on the biggest problem the movie has which is Shia LeBouf

Agreed. Though people do focus on this pretty often

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The aliens were fine as long as they were just long-dead skeletons but when one came back to life I wanted to punch lucas & spielberg

edit: "native americans used to worship creatures that might have been aliens" is a lot easier to swallow than "oh and their skeletons merged or something and one came back to life and now it flies off in a UFO"

peer has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Jun 29, 2018

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Randalor posted:

Did one come back to life or was it just "angry psychic ghosts who didn't want to leave without all of their skulls and who popped the head of the crazy lady that tried to boss them around"? I haven't seen the movie since it first came out, so I could be horribly wrong.

I don't even know. I definitely read the scene as them somehow merging and reviving but I guess angry psychic ghosts is just as likely

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

The art in The Punisher Max made up for the thinly veiled racism

:pwn:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

is there a superhero whose power is extreme bad luck for both themselves and anyone around them, like a low-luck character in fallout 1 & 2? Because I'd want to see a movie about that

peer
Jan 17, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

have bad opinions about jews/trans rights and so on, I'll think you're an idiot and disagree with you, but that's fine as long as we can keep it on a civilized level.

If you don't push that stuff through in your art, and stick to other subjects, sure fine I don't care.

:pwn:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

wish I could say this was the first time I'd heard "the jews are unsympathetic because they hate nazis so much"

it IS however the first time I've seen it followed up by "also the nazis were sympathetic"

peer
Jan 17, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

I did not say that at all.

In what way were they unsympathetic (or vile), if not in their treatment of people who want them dead merely for existing?

bitterandtwisted posted:

I can't believe I have to clarify this but this was a complaint I had about the movie

I understand that you think the movie portrayed jews as vile and nazis as sympathetic, I'm just not really seeing it myself

edit. I don't doubt for a second that QT is a piece of poo poo and has some hosed up politics, I'm just not seeing this specific complaint about this movie

peer has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Jan 1, 2019

peer
Jan 17, 2004

mostlygray posted:

That's very interesting to me. When my grandma was a kid, her family was forced to billet German soldiers as well as a Luftwaffe captain. That dude even had the Hitler mustache. I've seen the pictures. This was in Croatia. She was ethnic German (Donauschwaben) and didn't understand WWII at all. She never understood it even until her death last year. All she knew about German soldiers in WWII was that they were nice boys that stayed at her house when she was 12 years old.

I've never had beef with the standard German infantryman. They were just fighting for their country. It's the SS and the NAZI party members that matter. Heck, my grandfather was conscripted into the Arbeits Corp in Serbia when he was 16. He fled the country when the war was at the end and he was going to be shipped to the eastern front. He ended up in Austria in Lager Heid Ansfelden and then they moved to the state after my father was born.

It's complicated in America. We often have family members that fought on both sides but had to learn to get along at the end of it. The war is over, it's all cool now. A normal Wehrmacht soldier was just doing their job. They were just as cold, just as hungry, just a scared as the next guy. They get a pass.

no

peer
Jan 17, 2004

its juvenile tryhard style and "vigilantism is good actually" message

peer
Jan 17, 2004

all old men are lovely

peer
Jan 17, 2004

adams would be an insufferable twitter atheist if he was still alive. bullet dodged

peer
Jan 17, 2004

edit: oops

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If I was a sad old white guy who sabotaged his life it might land better I guess.

nah i didn't like it either

peer
Jan 17, 2004

rib kid is like 50 years old by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

modern conservatives skipped the "are we the baddies?" stage and kramered straight to "hell yeah we're the baddies"