Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows this one but there’s also The Dude stealing phrases he hears throughout the movie and often misquoting them, like “this aggression will not stand” and “the parlance of our times”.

My favourite quote about the movie is Ebert saying that it’s about an attitude, not a story, but that “it’s easy to miss that, because the story is so urgently pursued”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m very glad Boondock Saints never caught on in the UK, at least in my age group. Tyler Durden was bad enough.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, we were all young once. Plus it was very funny when horror nerds got all offended by it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I reread High Fidelity last year and Oh loving Boy does that not hold up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
- Nobody actually refers to Leslie Neilson’s character as ‘Shirley’ at any point in the movie. It was merely a reference to the character misunderstanding the word “surely”.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you be a goon for over a decade and not know about PYFPlat

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stoning scene is my favourite early scene by far so hopefully you like the rest more!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not racist I just want to be able to mock Brazilian people because of things I find funny about them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

I believe there’s a point where we go from one day into the next via a static time lapse shot of the sky? Been a while since I’ve seen it, so I could be wrong.

Yeah. I think Birdman takes place over a few days

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speed Racer is cool as hell

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Makes me so happy to hear people talking about Fireflies like this. The climax fell totally flat for me. It’s trying SO HARD.

Love Only Yesterday tho

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo the body swap stuff was, that one creepy running joke aside, so much better than what the movie turned into

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love all of Kon’s flicks but I think Millennium Actress is my favourite. It’s so fantastic. Paranoia Agent is his best overall work though, in my opinion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Watched Get Out there finally. Near the end when Chris is in the chamber beside the surgical room he uses cotton to plug his ears to avoid being put back in a trance. He find the cotton in the armrest of the chair he's strapped too that's been fray open by a clawing motion he'd been doing in his sleep. It's the same motion he made at the start of the film when he was craving a cigarette and ofc after his first time in the sunken place he hadn't been smoking so his body was craving nicotine. So the Armitage's were undone by that small thing.

You could almost say that he picked the cotton

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was ^^^ that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it was meant to be a dunk except Eyes Wide Shut actually owns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

The cast for the new show looks good but the film was perfection. Pull an went as far as to say he was wrong in his descriptions of Coulter as dark haired as she literally is Nicole kidman. In all future writings his description of Coulter matches kidman now

The movie’s cast was definitely perfect

But the movie baaaad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And they don’t get bad* until the fifth one!

*well, I still didn’t mind it, but it’s definitely way less good than the other 4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah with The Rock and Jack Black and poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what’s the subtle moment?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like it a bunch although I think it goes downhill once Hemsworth shows up. Good performance, but I feel like the pacing gets pretty bad in the third act.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I think the forums might be having a stroke.

hahaha what the hell

Escobarbarian has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Sopranos post-s2 is still loving awesome and has my two favourite seasons (6.2 and 5)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jerusalem owns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thinking Veep got better after Iannucci left is absolute lunacy

I think 5 is probably my favourite, but 6-7 are definitely the worst.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a goddamned Breaking Bad MOVIE coming out on October 11th, and nary a thread to be found.

So go into TVIV and make one :shrug:

e: wait, there is one! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899711

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think it's a useful approach to thinking about fiction to essentially ignore that it's fiction and produced with the ressources of the real world. If you meticulously track the convoluted theoretical biography of a man who is both unusually long-lived and looks uncannily like the real-world actor Brad Pitt across 30 movies while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge that Brad Pitt simply gets cast in a lot of movies, I'm afraid you will come off looking a bit loopy.

But he still can’t read, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

He addressed this in his WTF interview. He really didn't apologize, but he acknowledged it and gave a relatively decent explanation for his thinking.

Which bit?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They just got lazy later on though. George Maharris? Awful

That was a reference to an actor in the 60s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s an extremely simple one but one of my favourite ever fictional names is Cougar Town’s Bobby Cobb.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Grodd Obama thing sounds dreadful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the original with subs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember Plummer saying a country.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember Johnson writing the episode IX story as well being part of the articles when he was first hired and then literally never again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they created new software for hair and stuff for Tangled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that pitch a dude stomps a hitman's head into red muck in an elevator?

:thejoke:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a black-and-white version of Parasite too. I’m quite interested in seeing that. Black & Chrome is really interesting and cool but it doesn’t come close to beating the original for me, the colour work in that movie is just so incredible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dreama Walker is still my ideal Squirrel Girl.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never underestimate a droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never underestimate a droid.