Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
In The Departed, whenever someone is going to die there is an X on the screen, either on a poster or as a part of the architecture or whatever.

And this doesn't really count, but the three season Beetlejuice joke on Community is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
This is somewhat open to interpretation, but every time I've seen it I've had to go back and watch this scene a few times. In Walk the Line, there's a moment where Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are talking about Johnny Cash's dead brother. Older brother, viewed as having more talent at the time, and there's this weirdly honest/wistful/sad look that washes over his face for a moment. He's either acting really well, or he's thinking about his brother River.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ninja Gamer posted:

What's the most subtle thing Mel Brooks had done?

Produce David Lynch's The Elephant Man in 1980.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Officer Farva posted:

Yeah, I think it was at the end of Attack of the Clones.

Out of all of the things to be annoyed about in the prequel trilogy, I'm embarrassed to say that this pisses me off the most. This isn't the best picture example, because honestly I don't feel like wasting the time grabbing screenshots, but in every lightsaber fight between a human and a CGI character, the CGI character gets lit by the lightsabers and the actual human doesn't.

The same problem also happens in the original trilogy, but at least it's internally consistent so you it doesn't stand out as much (at least, if you didn't do theatre lighting in the past and get annoyed by weird lighting crap, thanks high school!). Take this classic shot of Luke and Vader fighting in the dark, and not only are they not lit up by the lightsabers, but there are no reflections off of Vader's polished helmet (ha ha) that reflects light in most other shots:

I'd say that scene still works, while the human vs. CGI lighting effects bugs the hell out of me.

benito has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Apr 14, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

canepazzo posted:

Uh, Christopher Lee seems quite green there. What do you mean humans aren't lit?

It's not the best example, but he's got two bright lights in front of his face yet his face is dark, and he's closer to the red light. Yoda has both red and green lights showing all of his face.

If you watch the scene, you can see it in action. Pay attention when they stop and hold up their lightsabers. Yoda's face gets lit, Dooku's doesn't:

Yoda vs. Dooku

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ThatPazuzu posted:

I know dozens of Star Wars species and planets off the top of my head but I can't imagine possibly caring about the lighting of lightsabers.

It's more of a caring about movie making rather than the story. I don't have a webpage devoted to this irritation and I don't burn any calories being angry at George Lucas about it, but I suppose it does count as a subtle, if crappy movie moment.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

mind the walrus posted:

I've been saying that since 2005 as to why a film version of Watchmen is a waste of time and inherently misses the point no matter how good it ends up being, but no one gives a poo poo.

One of the problems with Watchmen is that there was a lot going on, and different people liked the comic for different reasons. Did you enjoy the 80s Cold War paranoia? Do you really hate Nixon? Were you secretly rooting for Rorschach? Did Nite Owl's impotence make you weep nerd tears in your bedroom?

I think the varied reaction to the movie has to do with what appealed to you in the comics vs. what was translated in the movies. (For the record, I really enjoyed the movie, a little more than the comics, and a lot of that had to do with Dr. Manhattan plus the soundtrack and general look.)

There was a similar and worse problem with the movie John Carter. Everybody who grew up reading the books is either dead or outside of the target audience demographic, and if the movie had been more authentic to the subject material, it would have looked like even more of a ripoff of Star Wars, even though Lucas borrowed heavily from those pulp novels.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

muscles like this? posted:

They also would have been R rated since everyone on Barsoom just runs around naked.

Yep. I wonder how many old guys without internet access wandered in to the theater thinking, "This movie has Dejah Thoris in it, she's gotta be topless, it's the confusing and perverted 2010s after all..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
If you want a really weird Starship Troopers experience, watch Starship Troopers 3: Maurader. It brings back Capser Van Dien as Johnny Rico for a bizarre Christianity-heavy plot that makes no damned sense. One review:

http://io9.com/5803979/in-which-our-critic-ponders-propaganda-and-religion-in-starship-troopers-3-marauder

It's like a script written by Kirk Cameron with a director who included enough nudity, violence, and profanity for an R rating. It manages to piss all over the Heinlein and Verhoeven versions in a new, and unique way. And perhaps that is some subtle genius that I'm missing, but drat it's a weirdly bad movie.