Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

indoflaven posted:

Another Back to the Future moment:

Marty says "This is heavy".

Doc Brown "There's that word again, heavy. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earths gravitational pull?

Marty "What?"

It's just so subtle and hilarious.
In (I think) BTTF 3, something suitably incredulous happens and Marty says "Great Scott!" (which Doc Brown says all the time) to which Doc Brown replies, "I know, this is heavy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Twitch posted:

There are a ton of great subtle moments in Robocop. I love how all of the police cars scrape on the ramp out of their garage, which is just a great detail, intentional or not.
Actually, I'm pretty sure most of them don't - it's just the ones driven by Murphy that scrape on the ramp (including when he's Robocop)

From memory, I believe this is one of the earliest indications in the film that Robocop still has some of Murphy's personality in there.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Wild T posted:

I like the idea that the first time he does it, it's because he's unfamiliar with the station and eager to get out and bust criminals. So he goes too fast, bottoms out on the ramp and throws a few sparks.

The next time he does it, he's driving the same car with computer-controlled driving abilities and his normal measured, deliberate pace. But the car still bottoms out because now he's just freaking heavy.
I'm down with that explanation too :)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Lincoln posted:

During the bathroom scene in The Shining, "Delbert Grady" never blinks.
John Hurt's character in V for Vendetta doesn't blink at all either, except for his final scene in the Underground station.

Really adds to the Orwellian, Big Brother, "all seeing eye" effect, and once you notice it the unending stare becomes quite disorienting.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I can't decide whether this is a subtle movie moment, or just me giving the scriptwriters too much credit.

Near the start of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, after Ron and his twin brothers rescue Harry from his uncle and they arrive at the Weasley house, they all sit down to eat and Arthur Weasley comes in and sits down next to Harry, where they have this exchange:

quote:

Arthur: "And who are you?"
Harry: "Sorry, sir. I'm Harry, sir. Harry Potter."
Arthur: "Good Lord. Are you really?"

Bit of foreshadowing, perhaps - as Harry (depending on how you look at it) ends up as a "Good Lord" when compared to Voldemort's "Dark Lord."

I mean, "Good Lord" is a common exclamation, especially in the UK - but there's also a million different ways that he could have said the same thing, so I dunno.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Humphreys posted:

Stormfront is also the name of a racist hategroup.
In the UK, it’s also the name of a chain of Apple certified premium resellers.

Apple being famous for their white products, of course.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The fact that one crash made everyone say "gently caress it, we'll never try supersonic jets again" and scrap the Concorde is amazing to me.
As flavor.flv said, the airlines that were running Concorde (BA and Air France) were looking for an excuse to scrap the programme, it was prestigious but a real money sink.

Had all the other airlines that had shown interest actually followed through with their orders then it might have been very different. Still, that can't really be blamed on them, if I remember rightly loads of laws were passed in the US and possibly elsewhere banning supersonic aircraft over built up areas because of the noise of sonic booms, and this made them a very tough sell)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

SimonChris posted:

In Gattaca all of the loudspeaker announcements are in both Esperanto and English because obviously Esperanto has become a global world language by then.

Same with Red Dwarf (the UK sci-fi sitcom that started in the 80s, for those unaware)

Signs on Red Dwarf are often in English and Esperanto, and there are quite a few jokes about it in the first two series.

The books go into more detail than the show does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Carthag Tuek posted:

in die hard 2, terrorists hack into an airport system and the tower puts out a "yall stick to a holding pattern" to all the flights, at least 5 passenger flights just circling waiting for the terrorist situation to blow over instead of getting the gently caress out and landing at idk ohare or denver or whatever
I thought there was dialogue in the movie that explained that all of the other local airports are iced over (or whatever) and are sending all their planes to Dulles?