Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Romes128 posted:

I read somewhere that everything on Iron Mans HUD makes sense, and isn't just tech stuff to make it look complicated and cool. Someone from the Air Force helped design the layout for it. Pretty awesome stuff considering we only get to see it backwards and almost transparent. There are also different HUDs for each suit he wears.

There's a pretty cool moment with that in the first Iron Man movie. When he first takes the Mark II out for its first flight you get a shot of his HUD showing a wireframe of the driveway. As he starts flying a little warning pops up on the corner of the HUD showing that his trajectory will hit the wall. Cut to outside shot with the suit scraping against the wall as he flies off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

That same criminal shows up later at the end of the film when Raas releases Scarecrow's fear gas all over The Narrows. Rachel and the kid that Batman gives his little x-ray gadget to are confronted by Zsasz, and Batman narrowly saves him (to which the kid responds "I told you he'd come!")

And that kid grew up to become Prince Joffrey. So maybe Batman should have let him die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In The Rock there's a scene with this big machine that doesn't seem to have a purpose other than to have big moving parts and shooting flames. It has the word "Bay" stamped on the side of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TShields posted:

Off the main thread topic, but is Looper really any good? I've heard the reviews are solid, but even with the cast (and my love of Doctor Who), the plot sounds loving stupid..

It should be pointed out that the actual plot of the movie isn't revealed in commercials/trailers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Tarsem Singh movie, Immortals, in the scene where Zeus and the other gods are fighting the Titans whenever the Titans die they move in slow motion. This is because the entire fight scene is actually happening at an accelerated rate, you just never see it from a mortal perspective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about the first Men in Black movie is how misleading the entrance exam is. They start off with a written test but its not so much the actual test itself but how its completed. They show all the military guys having trouble marking the paper but Jay thinks outside the box and just moves the coffee table over to his chair. Then there's the shooting range where you aren't supposed to just shoot the first alien you see, which would be counter productive for an agency that deals with human/alien relations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, the problem with Men in Black is that it kind of falls apart by the end because the original ending tested poorly. So everything involving the "galaxy" got kind of thrown together through last minute reshoots and rewrites.

Oddly enough a similar thing happened with MiB2 which is why they go from looking for a thing to all of a sudden looking for a person.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing is, having a big dumb fight scene where they just end up killing the bad guy is exactly the kind of stuff they were making fun of earlier in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Razorwired posted:

I wonder if prop guys ever just do this kind of stuff because they finished their piece but the item in question won't be in a shot for another two weeks. In Watchmen the .45s in The Comedian's apartment have something like "Richard Nixon - 1970" on the grip.

The prop guys for the LOTR movies were apparently completely insane as they did stuff like put horses on the lining of King Theoden's armor, which isn't shown in the movie at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patchwork Shaman posted:

So far, I've only rad the comics. Did "Honest Ed's" make it into the movie?

They tried to film in there but it just didn't work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene in the Ocean's 11 remake where Clooney and Damon meet for the first time has a fun subtle bit in it. Clooney is doing his whole introduction thing while he has two plane tickets under his hand, he looks away for a second and when he looks back Damon has the tickets even though his hand is still on the table. The thing is if you pay attention to the scene you see that they don't cheat and Damon is able to grab the tickets when Clooney's head is turned because he lifts his hand off the tickets for a split second.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

each of the six stories are read or seen by the main character in the next story chronologically. The Adam Ewing journal is read by Frobisher, the movie version of Timothy Cavendish's story is seen by Sonmi, etc.

Its Frobisher read's Ewing's journal, Luisa Rey reads Frobisher's letters to Sixsmith, Cavendish reads the novel about Luisa Rey, Sonmi watches the movie about Cavendish and Zachry sees the orison of Sonmi's interrogation.

The book version goes even further with each part being broken up into two parts, with the characters only seeing/reading as far as you, the reader. Ewing's journal is ripped in half, Luisa Rey doesn't get all of Sixsmith's letters, etc. Then after you return to the story the character gets the rest of the story, Sonmi seeing the finish of Cavendish's movie and such.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny little thing I just noticed while watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes on TV just now. In the scene where John Lithgow has a relapse and tries to steal a car Caesar was working on a model of the Statue of Liberty, which is incomplete from about the waist down. Looking just like the one from the original Planet of the Apes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

There were some callbacks to the first one though, they used a lot of the score, which I really liked.

That would be because AGDTDH is the first Die Hard sequel that was written from the start to be a Die Hard sequel. The rest are just scripts that shoehorned in some references to past events but were completely unrelated.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like is how Teddy constantly makes the same jokes and says the same things a lot. He knows Leonard won't remember so he doesn't even really have to try to come up with new stuff.

Also the scene where Leonard talks about how police investigate stuff and Teddy just starts rolling his eyes since unknown to Leonard he was a cop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't it just put in because they didn't know how to end it? I remember hearing that they had absolutely no plans for a sequel at the time it was made and they just pulled the final scene out of their rear end.

Yeah, the "To Be Continued..." bit actually wasn't even in theatrical release. It was only added once it hit home video.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing they regretted doing was having Jennifer get in the car too since they had nothing for her to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair they never actually come out and say it in the movie. Its easy to kind of gloss over the opening bit since once its over it has nothing to do with the rest of the film until the very end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inception is basically chock full of subtle movie moments. Once they get into the main dream section they ask Cillian Murphy's character for random numbers claiming its a safe combination and that number comes up multiple times later. Like the fake phone number the girl gives in the bar or the hotel room numbers they hide out in. Also it IS the combination to the safe in the final dream stage.

The movie also has a subtle way of letting you know when something is a dream or not because in a dream Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio's character) still wears his wedding ring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fuckpot posted:

She also utters the line 'Do what is necessary' to Bruce when he returns to Gotham and they meet up in the kangaroo court. That was a phrase said repeatedly by Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins..

In the scene where she's talking to Bruce at the fundraiser earlier in the movie her entire speech mirrors what Ra's said to Bruce back at the League headquarters way back in Begins.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess I didn't notice this in the 2009 Trek, but I finally noticed it last night when watching Into Darkness.

I knew the "basic" uniform shirts they all wear has some kind of textured pattern to it, but I didn't notice until last night that the pattern is a poo poo-ton of little repeated "Starfleet logos, just like their badges.

Fun non-spoiler moment from Into Darkness is how in a scene with Scotty hanging out in a bar he's dressed as the spitting image of Gene Roddenberry in the 70s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bettsta posted:

In filming the Shining, wasn't Kubrick really careful not to let the kid who played Danny know it was supposed to be scary? I remember hearing that he would tell the actor to act happy, act sad, and act scared, then just use the take where he was scared. Is this confirmed in a documentary or anything?

That's generally how you do anything with a kid actor where they have to deal with age inappropriate stuff. They basically do everything completely out of context.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of actor professors, Peter Weller teaches Renaissance history at UCLA and supposedly he runs students through the wringer at the beginning of each course in order to weed out anyone who takes the class just because of Professor Robocop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

I really liked Constantine. It wasn't a good HellBlazer translation but it was a fun interpretation of the character and lore. Peter Stormare steals the movie with five minutes of screentime as Satan.

I'm fine with a lot of the changes except for the one at the end where he quits smoking. That's just fundamentally misunderstanding Constantine's character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm actually totally cool with not having every comic book movie end with returning to the status quo with the character unchanged and nothing disturbed for fear of upsetting The Canon.

It has nothing to do with that, the whole point of John Constantine's character is bad decisions and not learning his lesson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roger Tangerines posted:

Primer is a really poorly-communicated movie.

I think its a little more impressive if you know that the movie was made for basically nothing. The budget went toward the film stock and that's it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Now watch his next movie, Upstream Color!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Closet Cyborg posted:

Also, I had no idea that the director made another movie.

Its on Netflix streaming. Once again he writes, directs and stars in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People who like Primer should also check out the movie Timecrimes. Its a Spanish movie that's hard to describe without giving the plot away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone made an actual flowchart trying to track the characters through the various timelines but Shane Carruth has stated in interviews that he wasn't using anything like that when he was writing the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cage posted:

What the hell? So in the novel the antagonist tried to rob the protagonists uncle but fails and gets reverse robbbed? Later she tries stealing the nephews time stopping watch so uses it against her and "settles instead for getting her raped by a truckload of Navy sailors". Neat book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl,_the_Gold_Watch_%26_Everything

There's also the bit about how while sleeping in someone else's bed a woman has sex with him thinking he was the person who usually slept there. Instead of both parties freaking out apparently they fall completely in love with each other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the comic books drowning would kill him. Wolverine knows this because that's how he killed his son, who had the same powers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of neat in Elysium is how about 2/3 of the way through the movie Krueger gets his face blown off by a grenade and when its fixed by the medical computers he comes out looking much younger. Since his face was all new skin that hadn't been exposed to the elements.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That wasn't exactly a subtle moment, it was the thing that caused him to freak out and go around murdering the citizens of Elysium.

He was already planning on taking over the second he saw that Max had the code to take over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Don't click that link.

What was the link?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The space squid stuff is foreshadowed like crazy in the comic which is why it works there. In the movie they just don't have enough time to set it up properly so it would have looked crazy.

Ignite Memories posted:

How exactly did they change the end? I haven't/won't see it.

Adrian sets up everything to look like Manhattan is the one that attacks. They mention earlier in the film that the two had been working to harness Jon's ability to create power plants but Adrian was just using that as an excuse to make bombs. He blows up the cities and then claims that Jon attacked the world to make them stop fighting.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Aug 25, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie also addresses it when they're talking about building the dreamworld. They are purposefully making mundane dreams because they want to make the mark think they're still awake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

And when things do happen that are out of the ordinary and might happen in dreams (a train running down the middle of a busy street, children playing in bar) they try to distract Cillian Murphy's character so he doesn't see them, iirc.

Thinking about it the movie seems like it implies that you just can't do shared dreams where things are too outlandish. The mind doesn't like the fact that there is somebody else in there and so if it realizes this it attacks the invader. Even in the consenual training dream this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really great bit from the end of The Shawshank Redemption is that when the Warden discovers the hollowed out Bible the hollowed out part starts at Exodus.