Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Old James posted:

http://www.geekosystem.com/impossible-shining/

Does an analysis of the architectural layout of the Overlook hotel based on the panning shots and finds it is a paradox. For example, the camera follows Jack up a flight of stairs, makes a u turn and goes down a hallway with doors on each side. Not much different from any other hotel hallway except the doors on the right can't have rooms behind them as the transition shot from the staircase to the hall shows that wall is only a few inches thick. Read the article, its a great explanation of how Kubrick is loving with your sense of spatial relationship to make the hotel even creepier.

Okay, that makes me feel better. I'm a huge Kubrick fan, but the exterior shot of the Overlook (Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood) just does not work in my mind as the exterior and it always seemed like a sloppy choice. Good to know it was picked for a reason better than "big building on an American mountain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Call me slow, but I didn't notice until this year why it sounded so familiar in Toy Story when Hamm says "Heyyy, Woody."

Cheers is on Netflix now.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Xenoletum posted:

Clash of the Titans (2010) was a bad movie, but there was a callback to the original film in the opening of it. They're rummaging through a pile of junk items looking for something (I honestly forget what, as I've tried to block the movie out of my head) and one of the dudes just pulls out Bubo, the owl from the original film. Apparently the cameo was going to be deleted, but was left in to please the fans of the original film.

The Middle-Eastern character in that movie (the Djinn) explodes himself in order to kill his enemy.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

prahanormal posted:

This is my least favorite unsubtle movie moment.

I should have made clear that was an awful moment in a bad movie.

In "Dead Man," with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer plays the bizarre American Indian "Nobody." Three years later, Farmer played the father of the main character in "Smoke Signals," wherein he asks his son who his favorite Indian is and the boy says "Nobody." Farmer repeats "NOBODY" then makes a really creepy face to drive the reference home.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
^^^^^^
I'll have to bust out that DVD, it sounds shameful.

It's either Pitch Black or Chronicles of Riddick where Vin Diesel keeps saying "This is my favorite shot in the movie." He's pretty fun to listen to.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it already, but if you watch Stallone's "Cobra," commentary, it's just this sad, foreign director by himself saying he's been on hold with the studio waiting to do another movie for a few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

The very little pause Ed Harris gives in The Truman Show when he's answering Truman's question "Who are you?".

"I am the Creator.

Of a television show."

His name was Christoph. Christoph is God.