Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Old James posted:

http://www.geekosystem.com/impossible-shining/

Does an analysis of the architectural layout of the Overlook hotel based on the panning shots and finds it is a paradox. For example, the camera follows Jack up a flight of stairs, makes a u turn and goes down a hallway with doors on each side. Not much different from any other hotel hallway except the doors on the right can't have rooms behind them as the transition shot from the staircase to the hall shows that wall is only a few inches thick. Read the article, its a great explanation of how Kubrick is loving with your sense of spatial relationship to make the hotel even creepier.

This is really cool. I'm going to have to go dig up my copy of The Shining and watch it again, I missed quite a few things apparently. I always felt the layout seemed off, but I never thought about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Liar Lyre posted:

One Scott Pilgrim thing I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet is when Scott wears a shirt that says 4 1/2 after he gets mad at Ramona. This is right before the twin fight. It symbolizes the possibility of Scott going bad. He's the fourth and a half evil ex.

There's also lots of scenes that have X's in the background, often relating the ex in the scene. The movie is worth another watch just for all the background stuff.

I know in the Gideon fight all of the numbers that pop up have 7 in them, him being the 7th evil ex.

I didn't notice the 4 1/2 shirt, but I did notice he drinks coke zero. :v:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

TShields posted:

How is he the four and a halfth Evil Ex? Wouldn't he be, like.. the 8th?

It seems like a stretch but maybe it's because he hasn't broken up with her yet? So he'd be halfway there with being mad.

So that would make him 4 and the 1/2 signifying that he hasn't quite decided to break up. It sounds like a long shot, but I really wouldn't put it past them.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

IMDB posted:

The Tolkien estate was never in favor of Peter Jackson's film adaptation but seeing as J.R.R. Tolkien signed the rights away in 1968 for $15,000, there was nothing they could do about it. Tolkien's grandson Simon came out in support of the production and was disowned by his relatives. Tolkien's son Christopher Tolkien later retracted any opposition.

Holy poo poo. :smith:

quote:

Although Bill the pony is a feature of the novel, the writers initially decided not to include him as the Fellowship make their journey for the simple logistical reason of transporting a horse deep into the mountains. The problem was solved in the more difficult shots by using the classic pantomime trick of dressing two people up as a horse, one at the front and one at the back.

Wait really? I did not notice this at all.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a hop?

Not quite a jump, I'd say closer to a skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samovar posted:

So THAT'S why Red Hulk's a threat - he's faster!

Hulk is now cononically an Ork.