Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

a kitten posted:

This guy's site has some really cool insights into The Shining including a lot of the weird spacial things and much much more. He occasionally seems to be reaching to far to find meaning, but then again with Kubrick it's hard to be sure that that's the case.

I read all twenty-plus chapters of his Clockwork Orange analysis. The first half was a mixture of meticulous attentiveness and slight over-reaching. The second half was crazy.

He's an extremely perceptive person. And functionally manic/schizo. From my reading, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Leovinus posted:

This is from a way back, but yeah. Also, Soze is left-handed. When Verbal is given a lighter, he tries to light it with his right, non-lame arm and can't manage it with that hand.

There's also a moment (I think it might be the same moment) where Verbal accidentally admits to killing Keaton while Kujan is yelling at him, and he panics for a microsecond but manages to disguise it as a slip of the tongue, amending it to "I did see Keaton get shot!".

There's a bunch of subtle stuff in that movie, actually. Verbal notes near the beginning of the movie that when he's dehydrated his urine comes out thick and lumpy - the first shot of Keyser Soze is his thick, lumpy urine stream pissing out a fire on the boat.

Keyser Soze has a Turkish mother and a German father and his name translates roughly from Turkish and German to mean "King Blabbermouth". Verbal Kint got his name because he talks too much.

I've always wondered if the names mean much in that movie. In german, Kint sounds just like Kind, so--talkative child. Fenster's German for window, maybe something to do with the character being transparent? And McManus would mean son of the hand.

Edit: Hockney and Fenster might have something to do with hock and fence, in the parlance, since these guys rob people. Anyway I've got no grand theory of it, but I always thought there was something more to the names.

Mescal has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Jan 24, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

God, you all missed the point about the Terminator HUD. There's one field that lists simply DEATHS and doesn't have a decimal point. The other field displays CASUAL TIES visible. A graphic necktie is 1.0, a bow tie counts as 0.2, bolo ties as 0.7, and so on.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

It was immediately apparent to anyone who knows the character that he wasn't using alcohol as a salve except in that one scene where he's getting a bottle of wine out of his GIANT cooler and that Marvel/Disney went out of their way to expunge any alcohol abuse from his character. It's pretty sad, in a way. The movie was rife with great characterization and character development regardless, but there's almost something inherently pitiful about our society when the need for marketing exceeds the need to be honest about the human experience. Not to say Iron Man 3 wasn't honest, at least via the character Tony Stark... just that it could have been a nice commentary on vice and wealth in relation to genuine issues like PTSD and trying to be a better human being.

I liked the fact that the character struggled with PTSD, but the problem is that he never hit rock bottom. So the retirement poo poo at the end felt tacked on, and cribbed too much from batman's retirement. The ending wasn't deserved and it didn't make sense within the trilogy. If you want to get serious at the end, you have to earn it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Collative Learning site is a little timecubey but it's worth reading if you're interested in the movies in question. He digs up details and connections in Kubrick movies that probably were intentionally made and are easy to miss. It's just that most of his actual conclusions are really far-fetched.

He's interested in debating his ideas, too--send him an email and he'll probably reply. He did reply to me and sounded sane in the emails.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, that's more what I meant by "true". That because Kubrick was a known crazy person

I don't think that's fair. Kubrick's rep as a crazy person is mostly undeserved. If he were an equally quirky and painstaking architect, for example, people would say "he was weird but he was an Artist!" The second reason people thought he was crazy is because they considered him a recluse. Okay, he was a recluse by Hollywood standards. But all he did was opt out of the Moving Picture Fame Machine in order to spend time with his family rather than doing interviews. He was not normal. He was hardworking, detail-oriented, picky, demanding, and sane.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've heard that story though I don't know the details of it. Duvall is generous in her descriptions of him in the interview I saw. I think it was in Kubrick: a life in pictures. All of the actors in that movie praise him, so that might have made me biased. McDowell speaks well of him too there even though he had earlier held a grudge. That doc was probably edited in a way to make Kubrick look good now that I think about it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to note. There's a very fine line between "demanding artist" and "loving insane" and Kubrick was at best dragging his sack right along it for the bulk of his career. There's no denying he was talented as hell, but he also gave zero fucks about the well being of anyone he worked with and people like that are generally not considered to be sane. I'm not sure what the currently accepted psychological term is, but I believe the classic is "motherfucking psychopath".

Can anybody point me to further reading about SK's crazy moments? What I know about him is mostly from on A Life in Pictures, Kubrick's Boxes, and wiki.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Goofus Giraffe posted:

I was at a screening of The Shining recently, and the guy introducing the film brought this up and told this anecdote: he had spoken with a relative of Danny Lloyd's (sister or cousin, I can't recall), who said that Lloyd absolutely refuses to talk about the film at all. So, regardless of Kubrick protecting the kid or not, according to this (which I wish I had an actual citation for), he did not end up having a good experience.

Or maybe he doesn't want people's ideas of him to depend on one thing he did when he was a kid. It's understandable. Being famous for movies is something most healthy people don't seek.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Was the idea in the movie that all possible time machines could only go back to the point when the first ever time machine was built? Oh and if so, would this apply after all the suns burned out and our universe collapsed into one black hole and made a second big bang and sentient species evolved again? Were the Aaron(s) and Abe(s) supposed to be in parallel universes but the machine stopped the universe-fork for only them? How come Primer didn't have any sex scenes and what's the deal with that poster?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In Matchstick Men, Cage's pills at the beginning are diphenhydramine. Benadryl, an (active) placebo, just like the later pills are revealed to be at the end. I don't know if that was direction or prop design, but it works.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

Which usage of diphenhydramine is the case in which it is an active placebo? I know it's used as an antihistamine - which it actually does - and as a sedative - another thing it actually does - so it's not those.

An active placebo gives you side effects that make you believe it's not a placebo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

I believe that the sedative effects become tolerated very, very quickly. So if you're a habitual taker who's on it daily, it's not doing anything for you in that regard.

I have gone through periods of taking it every night and it never got less effective.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

And their own! Turtle shells aren't some kind of inorganic rock that grows on the outside, there's still skin over it

lol yeah only... stupid people would think that... :shepface:

Imagined posted:

FWIW, the principle that 90% of everything is crap is called 'Sturgeon's Law'. :science:

90% of cheeses are loving amazing tho

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

jazzyjay posted:

I remember from an Arnie biography I read like 20 years ago that he went on local TV when he was blowing up as a bodybuilder and, when asked what the secret to building big muscles was, said he ate lots of bull testicles.

I feel like bull testicles are one of those things where if the butcher sells them for ten cents they rot, but if they sell them at ten dollars they couldn't keep them in stock.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There should be 1000% more movies about figure skating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

It was only last year that I realised that the title was a play on words. Like. Something looking becoming on someone.

I'm a fuckin idiot

I... that's the only way to read the title straight. The other way is tortured. Like "a winner is you" or "i am become death"?