Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember thinking there was something weird about baby Rapunzel's crib toy mobile. It has a horse, a lizard, a sun, a flower, and a lantern: all are largely future items and animals that help her.

Even as a young woman she's dressed in purple, which is a royal color.

Go go Tangled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pretty similar to The Sixth Sense where no one interacts with Bruce Willis' character save the kid who sees ghosts, after Bruce is shot. The scene that comes right to mind is when he's sitting down waiting for Cole to get home, the kid walks into the room with his mother in the kitchen, and there's nothing from the mom about the man waiting for Cole; she doesn't know he's there because he's a ghost.

Do I really need to spoil that?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In The Nightmare Before Christmas, there's tons of foreshadowing that Jack taking over Xmas will end in disaster, mostly when Sally's vision of an Xmas tree burns up. But the one that struck me more was when he's singing about the mysteries of Christmas, he pulls the garland off the tree, smashing every single ornament on the ground and almost hitting his dog in the process. Jack doesn't notice this, just as he pretty much ignores Sally's warning. She's the only person in the town to tell him this is a bad idea; everyone else is eager to follow whatever he does.

Jack is so excited in that song that he literally destroys a lot of his Christmas items, almost hurts someone else, and doesn't notice either thing, which ties in later to him mistaking the armed guard as lighting his way, the kid being happy (and not terrified) to see him: he is so wrapped up in his own wants that he doesn't notice how it affects anyone else.

Of course he realizes his fuckup when he's in a cemetery. Which is where he started at the beginning of the movie lamenting how it sucked to be the Pumpkin King, and in a similar graveyard, he laments how he's ruined everything despite wanting to do great.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty easy to see, but in the witch's cottage in Brave, everything in the woodcarving shop is a bear in some form. Mugs, toys, etc.

In Finding Nemo, the only fish in the dentist's tank, aside from Nemo, that is from the wild/ocean is Gill, who is a Moorish Idol. Moorish Idols are very expensive fish because they do so poorly in captivity, rarely eat, and almost all of them die within a year or so. Makes some grim sense when the other fish point out the girl's birthday present last year and Gill didn't seem to remember that fish; he wasn't in the tank then.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For the Terminator decimals, a biologist friend of mine always insisted it was to note, for some stupid reason, the genders of the dead humans killed. For example, if you were noting that 2 male snakes and 4 females were found, it would be 2.4. Or selling an unsexed snake, 0.0.1.

I don't know, he always said it made sense.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Small thing from Wreck-It Ralph: when Ralph is climbing up the candy cane tree to get his medal, muttering about the candy cane tree inspectors, that 'we have a lot of work to do here,' trying to get the kid to leave, Vanellope asks, "We, as in the royal we?"

Vanellope is the real princess/ruler of Sugar Rush.

There's also the hint about King Candy's real identity, not because he asks Ralph about going Turbo (Turbo being something it seems everyone knows about) but because he's in another racing game, and is the only character that isn't child-aged/sized.

edit: Finding Nemo, something that a lot of aquarists picked up: when Nemo's in the dentist tank and the fish are introducing themselves, only one of them ID's as being from the ocean, that being Gill. Gill is a Moorish Idol, a species notoriously hard to keep alive in captivity. Most fish barely last a year and slowly starve themselves to death. Only a few last longer than a year and usually die within five. Most of the other fish aren't captive bred, but the royal gamma, the damselfish, and possibly the seastar were aquacultured.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Mar 28, 2013

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how subtle this is, since my 10 year old babysittee caught it, but in Wreck-It Ralph once you know who King Candy really is, it almost hits you in the face because Turbo ruined two other racing games before finally figuring out how to make a real takeover work. It isn't enough to appear in a game, you have to make the game accept you. That said and all, why didn't any of the arcade players notice a lack of Vanellope in the game? You'd think that would have been marked as a glitch right off and ended Turbo's third attempt pretty fast.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir Jebus posted:

There is an Oedipus joke in Disneys Hercules as well, which I only noticed recently.
"And that play, that Oedipus thing? Man I thought I had problems."

As much as Disney butchered the Hercules/Heracles story (and they kinda had to, similar to Pocahontas and the Hunchback movies, to sell them to kids), they did get the romantic lead's name right: Megara was Hercules' first wife, the one he killed, along with their kids, when Hera made him crazy.

As for the Toy Story 2 talk, I agree that Woody is very likely some kind of heirloom toy; in Toy Story 3, he is the only one Andy is going to take with him to college, though he seems to debate about bringing Buzz. But Buzz is a recent toy, everyone in Andy's age group probably had one as a kid, whereas Woody might be seen more like a sentimental value item, rather than a kid's toy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bill Dungsroman posted:

PYF Cabin in the Woods deconstruction.

I liked it in Watchmen when Daniel goes to warn Adrian first about there potentially being a hero serial killer. Despite all Adrian is up to, his affect changes slightly as he thanks Dan, because he's truly touched Dan thought of him to warn him.

You know, despite all the crap that was wrong with Watchmen, I liked that too. I also liked the photos in the opening scene in the Comedian's apartment: it was somewhat a nice touch to see Silk Spectre and Laurie there, the only photos I can remember seeing in his place.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

In the Disney animated movie 'Hercules', when Hercules and Philoctetes first enter Thebes, they are accosted by a doom-sayer spouting "The end is nigh!". No more than 3 seconds later as they descend down some stairs the words 'Fin' are scrawled in graffiti on the wall behind them.

While Hercules got a poo poo ton of stuff wrong mythologically, it was right in Megara; that's the name of Hercules (Herakles)' first wife.

The green crones however should have been gray: The Gray Ones were a trio of one-eye-between-them gray women Perseus hit up.

I always always loved the segment in the song Zero to Hero when it shows Herc's adoptive parents...and that their tiny home is this massive palace now, and they have everything they could ever need. Even when Hercules finds out he's technically a god, and Zeus and Hera are his parents, he is still the son of that couple, and he never ever treats them otherwise.

Also, for Wreck-It Ralph, when Ralph is threatening King Candy (when Vanellope's run off to get her own cookie medal she made for Ralph), King Candy's panic is real: if Ralph kills him, he won't regenerate, because Sugar Rush isn't his game.

Fix-It Felix is a Good Guy in the fact that he can't even be mad at Ralph for running away, just as he doesn't seem angry when telling about Turbo. He is literally a guy who can't get upset or be negative at all; when there's the party scene in the apartment complex, he tries to make amends between Ralph and Gene when it comes to the cake without pointing out that Ralph has no reason to get a hero medal, and he also shows no animosity to Ralph when Ralph accidentally kills him when he comes into the party.

And lastly, Ralph would have lived up to his name had he never gone back to Sugar Rush; his actions in Hero's Duty would have literally wrecked every single game in the arcade. Oh, and Felix lives up to his name, not just by fixing all the poo poo Ralph has broken, but technically by doing the same with Calhoun's heart.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Well, not unless he still brought that one bug out of the game it's meant for.

Sorry, I meant when he went back after seeing Vanellope on the game console. The bug had already laid a few thousand eggs, and chances are some of the bugs would have escaped before Calhoun set off the bomb. Game over.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, right. Yeah, that would have been messy.

In short, Felix would have died, Vanellope would have died, probably almost everyone in Sugar Rush would have been eaten, Calhoun likely as well.

For Disney Hercules, it's easier to see the tiny things they got right rather than everything (which is pretty much the entire movie) wrong. But similar to Hunchback and Pocahontas, had they kept it even halfway right to detail, it couldn't be a Disney movie.

Speaking of Hunchback, the gargoyles being alive only exists in Quasi's mind; we never see them active when anyone else is around. Which means that while Quasi might be a little nuts, he also defended the bell tower from everyone by his loving self.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...yeah, I didn't even notice they were invisible.

It really was so good (aside from the God-awful third season. The creator/original show-runner had nothing to do with the third season aside from the first episode, and has sort of "renounced" it as 'Gargoyles canon,' if you can believe such a thing.

He also had several ideas for spin offs, one of which was "Timedancer" where Brooklyn started traveling through time randomly for, like, 40 years. He'd eventually end up in feudal Japan for a number of years and get a wife, and then go to the future where he would join the cast of a SECOND spin-off that was all about the offspring of the offspring of the current Gargoyles fighting off aliens, or something. They would be joined by the Easter Island alien they met in season 2, since his job was to stop these aliens in the first place and he FAILED...loser.

Was the third season when they did that poo poo with the Avalon stuff, the gargoyle eggs/babies, or was that with Foxx being the daughter of some fairy queen?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

Speaking of Frozen, there's a lot of foreshadowing for the biggest spoiler. Hans messes up the 'You and I are just meant to be!' verse in 'Love is an Open Door' as well as a bunch of romantic flubs like failing to pick up Anna or how he's been searching for his own place rather than someone. When Anna leaves to pursue Elsa, it's not the fact that she's her sister that makes him relent, it's being made Regent while Anna is away. You can also also see his eyes flicker to the chandelier in Elsa's castle for maybe two frames before he stops the guy from shooting at her.

Something I noticed in "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is that we see Anna being physical with her parents, hugging and the like. We see Elsa never once touch them; the only time she physically comes close to is when she is putting her new gloves on. After that, every time, even when they're leaving on that trip, she doesn't even hug them goodbye. After the deal with the trolls, Elsa doesn't just physically withdraw from her sister, but her parents too. In fact, I think the only time we actually see Elsa touching anyone after the start of the movie is when she is clinging to the frozen Anna, thinking she's killed her sister.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was it only in Predator 2 that the whole 'don't kill pregnant prey' was seen? I always wondered if a parent protecting a child, or several children, would rank as a threat worthy of being killed, or swatted aside and ignored because it was being protective rather than offensive?

And it's a little old, but in the first Shrek, when Farquaad is looking over the princesses in the Magic Mirror, Fiona's theme is the Pina Colada song, which is not a romantic song by any means; it's about a couple who's fallen out of love with each other but surprise, they meet each other when they're setting up the affair. So it's more of a song about settling and not knowing your partner for poo poo. Which is pretty much the entirety of the relationship between Fiona and Farquaad. Thankfully they don't settle like the idiots in the song.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not as deep as some of the others here, but in Breaking Bad, Skyler White goes back to work for her old boss at Benecke Fabrications. Not only does her boss cook the books, skim off the top of profits, but they have an affair, and the reason Skyler quit is because he made advances to her before...which is not the reason she tells her husband she left. Another word for fabricate is lie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For the first time ever, in Wreck-It Ralph, I realized that in one of the opening scenes in the penthouse, when Ralph smashes the anniversary cake, the splotches of frosting on the Nicelanders' clothes have Tetris shapes in them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Once Upon a Time is what happens when some producer looks over Fanfiction.net and sees a tab called Fiction Crossover.

gently caress the show writes itself after a point. My mom used to watch it but stopped after Neverland and the poo poo with loving Oz. It really would be a shocker if they DIDN'T put Star Wars or Spiderman in at some point now.

Here's subtle for Once Upon a Time: main character's ex and father of her child pops back into the show, and though he is engaged and he and the main character haven't seen each other in over ten years, there is no way they are not getting together. Amazingly enough his new soon-to-be wife is revealed to be totally evil and a bitch and who the gently caress saw that coming?

Things I remember from Once Upon a Time instead of actual useful memories of trig: Peter Pan is Rumplestilken's dad, Snow White's father almost married the Evil Witch's mother, Snow White kills the Evil Witch/Stepmother's mother, the reason Jafar is such an rear end in a top hat is that he's the bastard of a sultan who beat and abandoned him so the entire storyline for him is to have his captive father admit he loves him, and there is no real limit to any kind of magic (even the kind everyone says can't work ever, but it always does at the last minute, of course), and for some goddamn reason Dr. Frankenstein is in the show.

Not sure how subtle this is, but watching Megamind with the kids, and the first time we see the reporter's assistant, he's goofy and bumbling which would be endearing, but his comments about 'always watching you' takes it over the line and shows that MRA/creepy non-hero side. Megamind's a villain but even he never acts weird to the lady reporter in that stalker-y way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In Season 4 of GoT, we see the first sign of Selyse Baratheon not being pleased with the Red Woman. The priestess says she didn't need to use any lust potion to seduce Selyse's husband, and tries to offer some comfort that it's only flesh. Before Selyse seemed fine with this, but the 'no your husband who doesn't even like you wants to gently caress me nonstop' made her pause, and there is a clear moment when the religious love drops and Selyse looks ready to strangle her for taking her husband. And in last night's episode, Selyse seems all right with the sacrifice of her daughter because the Red Woman says so, and then snaps in the final minute, trying to save her. Stannis, by contrast, seemed to love his daughter up until the end when he signed off on her murder, and his faith wanes and flows, but when it came down to it, he's been down for far more cruel things than his wife.

edit: there was also the blatant hint back in Season 2 when Stannis had his brother killed at night, despite saying he would give him till dawn to join him. Hints and bits that Stannis has no mercy for anyone; his wife may have stood by and watched her brother burn but I doubt she ever promised him he wouldn't. Stannis looks fair, and acts fair on the surface, but he's a treacherous snake.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jun 8, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If we're doing voices, then the cat in Coraline is pretty good. Keith David. AKA the voice of Goliath in Gargoyles. A protector of humans much like the feline.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Wreck-It-Ralph 2, however, absolutely did not.

I despise this movie moreso than even the Emoji Movie, because Wreck-It Ralph is one of my favorite movies ever.

But that said, there is a logical reasoning behind Vannelope being allowed/permitted to go Turbo in the second movie: she's a Disney princess, and Disney princesses always get what they want, and it never hurts anyone else. Logically we know otherwise, but in Disneyverse, it is as real as any law.

Rewatching WIR, I like the foreshadowing of Turbo and the twist. In later disney movies, like Shamaylan's movies, we know the villain will be a twist, but in WIR, it was done very well. King Candy demanding to know if Ralph has gone Turbo/come to take over his game, the fact King Candy is the only adult in a game of kids racing, etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Spielberg didn't care about whether a cliff is present in the same scene, he probably wasn't analyzing what a dinosaur may or may not have considered a threat display. The carnivores are monsters as far as the movie is concerned, the don't have to act like real animals and they can be deliberately cruel.

The thing is that the dinosaur in question is not deliberately cruel, it is a carnivore, a predator responding to a brightly colored intruder. Nedry's actions go between aggression, fear, and changing his size in terms of the hood. Not to mention we don't know how long the dinosaur was watching him, but nedry is clearly not someone who has studied dinosaurs, or probably any animal in general. Admittedly we know that these dinosaurs are not quote unquote real ones and they're just lab made to look a certain way so we don't understand their social interactions, but in general with predators, if you act weak and afraid, they see us prey. If you act more aggressive they might see you as a threat.

Nope had a lot of great scenes in regards to animal training. The chimp and alien are not something most of us will ever interact with, and not all of us are ever going to interact with horses, but more people will with horses than the other two. And while horse riding lessons usually involve the basics of don't stare into the horse's eyes, don't spook him from behind, be calm and confident in motion, a lot of people simply write it off as a dumb animal.

Honestly once nedry found the dinosaur, there probably wasn't a single way for him to escape that unscathed. But his actions definitely intensified the situation and made it a lot worse for him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

That was Hugh Grant

Is anyone else now imagining Hugh Grant playing wolverine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan has exactly two scenes actually shot in NYC and they're both in Times Square. The rest of the city scenes were shot in Vancouver, including the subway train which has some of the most polite fake graffiti I've ever seen.

I imagine Canadian graffiti something like "may the rival sports team not do as good as ours!" Or "your mom's poutine; It's not as good as mine, but it's still pretty good."

One thing that watching older movies has taught me is that cell phone solve so many problems. That's probably why modern horror movies have to rely on no signal to fully isolate the characters.