Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. For those who don't know it's a show about a serial killer who is also a blood splatter analyst. In the opening credits Dexter is going through his morning routine and there is a close up of him cutting what appears to be an orange and squeezes the juice out of it. But the inside of the orange is this weird red slimy stuff that doesn't look like any orange I've ever seen before, so I often wondered what kind of fruit it was.

It's a blood orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

cobalt2009 posted:

The neck. Looked more like a hit to me...why would you block an attack with your neck?

You wouldn't. You also wouldn't punch through a coffin that's buried in a few feet of dirt nor would you cause a man's heart to explode by hitting him in several key pressure points. He's just so outlandishly badass that he can block with his neck.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Just watched A Good Day to Die Hard and while it certainly isn't a subtle film, I did notice one little thing which may have been unintentional but I thought it was neat anyway: John and his son "shoot the glass" to escape the bad guys during the hotel shootout halfway through the movie, kind of like how Hans Gruber shot the glass to escape from John in the first movie

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

The scene in Die Hard Hans had another henchman or two with him all with automatic weapons, they had McClain cornered and were trying to kill him. The glass was to prevent him from fleeing.

I'll have to watch that movie again. I only recall them shooting the glass, and later John is pretty much stuck because of all the glass everywhere.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I always figured Landa got a brief glance of Shoshanna as she was fleeing. We don't see this, but maybe she turned her head briefly while running. Or perhaps he had a photograph of her family. There are plenty of possibilities that the director didn't bother beating us over the head with, and it still demonstrates Landa's awesome instincts to pick up on her identity years after his brief encounter with her.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I can't remember if this one's been posted as there's been a lot of Shutter Island posts in this thread, but in the scene where Teddy and Chuck are interviewing a female patient early in the movie, they ask her about the mysteriously absent Dr. Sheehan. The female patient describes him as "not too hard on the eyes", to which Chuck gives a little grin. Chuck is, of course, Dr. Sheehan playing his part in Teddy's role play, so naturally he'd smile at that remark.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I thought that was kinda neat.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Tumble posted:

In The Departed, Sullivan (Damon) is suffering from erectile dysfunction. His girlfriend even straight up says "You want to talk about last night? It happens to a lot of guys..." and then later on Sullivan talks to Ellerby (Baldwin) about marriage -

Ellerby - "People see the ring, think at least someone can stand him.
Ladies see the ring, they know you must have some cash and your cock must work."

Sullivan - "Yeah, it's working. Overtime."

OH NO IT IS NOT, SULLIVAN, YET ANOTHER THING YOU LIE ABOUT!

Not quite, his girlfriend shows him ultrasound pictures, to which he has a typical reaction. So he may have had trouble getting it up at first, but he must be okay now since he wasn't perplexed about how she got pregnant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Agreed. Sure, we aren't going to a superhero/comic movie expecting Hitchcock level storytelling, but the funny or clever bits from the movie are much more funny if we don't know about them.