Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

DNova posted:

banned for anime

how dare you sir, this is fine american artwork.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

boiler explodes and scalds his friend's remaining arm

I don't think people realize taht steam and all that contains is actually important for the "steam punk".

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah "steam powered" is basically pneumatics but you use fire and boiling water instead of a compressor or vacuum pump because it was way easier to boil water than create a vacuum turbopump or compressor if you are restricted to 19th century manufacturing tolerances and materials

it's pneumatics but way easier for things to get rusted and corroded because everything has loving steam in it and then it will get stuck and then it explodes because of all that pressure and even after it explodes it covers everything in a mixture of scalding water and fire

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

tahts punk as gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
steam poo poo is fuckin scary but even scarier is when you're working on a cooling system that runs pressure high enough that steam never forms

gently caress ever getting close to a PWR

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

lolll

Following shutdown of the primary nuclear reaction, the fission products continue to generate decay heat at initially roughly 7% of full power level, which requires 1 to 3 years of water pumped cooling. If cooling fails during this post-shutdown period, the reactor can still overheat and meltdown. Upon loss of coolant the decay heat can raise the rods above 2200 degrees Celsius, whereupon the hot Zirconium alloy metal used for casing the nuclear fuel rods spontaneously explodes in contact with the cooling water or steam, which leads to the separation of water into its constituent elements (hydrogen and oxygen). In this event there is a high danger of hydrogen explosions, threatening structural damage and/or the exposure of highly radioactive stored fuel rods in the vicinity outside the plant in pools (approximately 15 tons of fuel is replenished each year to maintain normal PWR operation).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

kwinkles posted:

yeah "steam powered" is basically pneumatics but you use fire and boiling water instead of a compressor or vacuum pump because it was way easier to boil water than create a vacuum turbopump or compressor if you are restricted to 19th century manufacturing tolerances and materials

it's pneumatics but way easier for things to get rusted and corroded because everything has loving steam in it and then it will get stuck and then it explodes because of all that pressure and even after it explodes it covers everything in a mixture of scalding water and fire

Yea victorian era industry was pretty cool.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
even more cool is how far we've come with miniaturizing steam power i mean you can make a steam powered iphone charger now that will fit on your average kitchen table

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Powercrazy posted:

Yea victorian era industry was pretty cool.

they really knew how to build poo poo back then too. there are steam engines that ran 24/7 for decades without ever requiring a single component replacing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
our engineering precision and tolerances have gone up rather exponentially since then though, not hard to keep a steam engine running if it's fine having 1/8 inch of cylinder gap and robber barons are paying to run it

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You joke about steampunk arms being totally useless but DARPA actually funded and built a steampunk arm powered using highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst to produce stupidly high temperature and pressure steam fairly easily, which could then be used to actuate a bunch of pistons.

In the original design it was going to have a giant heat exchanger thing in the place of the skin to stop it burning everything but in practice what actually happened was it vented superheated steam everywhere because lol.

And they wanted this to be used in the army so that guys who lost an arm could still be in the army I think, because the arm would meet the military fitness requirements or something idk.

Also lol that "iXtender" poo poo. No Manufacturing or mechanical engineers on the team? Have fun with your stupidly flimsy design that costs 3 times as much to make as anything remotely competing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sweevo posted:

they really knew how to build poo poo back then too. there are steam engines that ran 24/7 for decades without ever requiring a single component replacing.

They were also horribly ineffecient and expensive to operate, lukcily no one gave a gently caress because there wasn't anything better.

Also britain still had coal back then I guess which helped (before we mined it all)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Drone_Fragger posted:

You joke about steampunk arms being totally useless but DARPA actually funded and built a steampunk arm powered using highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst to produce stupidly high temperature and pressure steam fairly easily, which could then be used to actuate a bunch of pistons.

i bet they spent more than $500 on that (typical govt waste)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i love that we have a government agency that does nothing but fund fuckin' crazy ideas.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

CaptainMeatpants posted:

tahts punk as gently caress

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

kwinkles posted:

even more cool is how far we've come with miniaturizing steam power i mean you can make a steam powered iphone charger now that will fit on your average kitchen table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiVWkk5zaQ

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Sweet steampunk designing skills; a grooved metal cylinder with some string wrapped around it will definitely spin the record at precisely the right speed at all times.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

An ideal place to use a complicated set of gears is ignored, good job idiots

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

send em that naval firing computer video where it's all these different gears and poo poo

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
i wonder what all the crazy old moms that collect my little pony figurines think about all the pedophiles infiltrating their hobby

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

hm yas lets just shoot hot air over spinning vinyl. this is a good idea

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
Also the loud annoying whistling is sure to ad to the warmth and soundstage of the record

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

hm yas lets just shoot hot air over spinning vinyl. this is a good idea

true story recently i tried playing a record while blowing it with a hot air dryer and it got really warped at first and was skipping around all over the place, but then as the heat evened out the centripetal forces made the whole record completely flat and even.

i wanna try it as a way to effectively unwarp records but don't want to risk it with anything valuable

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
you'd risk warping the tracks themselves or having them fall in on themselves or possibly expanding

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

got dat wmd posted:

possibly expanding

take any tune and make it big

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
dont like nevergirls hear about that

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Socracheese posted:

An ideal place to use a complicated set of gears is ignored, good job idiots

Gears are pretty complicated honestly. Even just conceptually they are non-intuitive.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dumbledore 64 posted:

true story recently i tried playing a record while blowing it with a hot air dryer and it got really warped at first and was skipping around all over the place, but then as the heat evened out the centripetal forces made the whole record completely flat and even.

i wanna try it as a way to effectively unwarp records but don't want to risk it with anything valuable
There would be no way to ensure the tracks are (un)warped uniformly as the sound grooves are going to be different depending on the content of the record.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
yeah probably i just thought it was neat :downs:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dumbledore 64 posted:

yeah probably i just thought it was neat :downs:

do a kickstarter for "research"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

like the time i thought to shrink up a chip bag super small with a microwave and then it turns out craft moms have been doing it for decades

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

CaptainMeatpants posted:

i like the people who retwatted him or w/e that have furry avatars

it never ceases to amaze me how the absolutele worst furry/anime/mlp idiot fans acknowledge and make fun of the horrible people in their fanbase as if acknowleding that there are worse people than them in the fanbase excuses their creepy weirdness, and yet they are exactly the group they are making fun of to excuse themselves

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Snips posted:

it never ceases to amaze me how the absolutele worst furry/anime/mlp idiot fans acknowledge and make fun of the horrible people in their fanbase as if acknowleding that there are worse people than them in the fanbase excuses their creepy weirdness, and yet they are exactly the group they are making fun of to excuse themselves

the no true brony fallacy

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This is a real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq-ckX9m2yg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2083949967/an-american-search-alternative-to-google

$269 PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i don't know what's funnier, a search engine that requires a paid subscription or a 7 grand dinner at a cheesecake factory

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
they're both things that should never be

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i'm the crappy public domain music, the lego robot with typing sounds in the background, and the dude on the left's eyelids what don't blink at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

CDN Pal

rolls off the tounge doesn't it

• Locked thread