Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
actually i take that back the weird guy in the rockafire explosion is more relateable and a better human being than any indie dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

gently caress you

exactly

i'm actually happy that the indie game movie came out because otherwise the world might not know how insufferable team meat and jonathan blow are

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean that larp documentary is less alienating and self-aggrandizing than any clip i've seen of indie game the movie

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

why would that dude be upset about that soulja boy video? dude is having a blast playing the game he made, and isnt that the point of video games?

o wait lol this is 2013 and video games are art and only supposed to be enjoyed by high society types

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

coreycoryecorey posted:

o wait lol this is 2013 and video games are art and only supposed to be enjoyed by high society types

tbf most games aren't like this, jonathan blow is just an incredible douchebag

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
are there any well adjusted famous people in the gaming industry

Raph Koster kinda comes to mind but that's about it I think

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fabricated posted:

tim schafer seems like an alright guy.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Fabricated posted:

i've never heard anything weird about sid meyer or will wright, although i have to imagine the sperg is heavy in those two guys

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Al! posted:

tim schafer seems like an alright guy.

he's ok but he's a huge manchild. dunno if i'd consider him "well-adjusted"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
has anyone from blizzard ever said anything that stupid?

iirc everything ive read from them has been pretty reasonable and polite but thats probably because if they step half an inch out of line (and even if they dont) they have a hundred thousand screaming crying infants beating down their forums about how mean it is to do whatever

i think the closest is jay wilsons really awful opinions on what constitutes fun and his defense of those ideas that was summed up as "i think its fun, everyone else is wrong, heres some extremely shaky psychology to back me up"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

he's ok but he's a huge manchild. dunno if i'd consider him "well-adjusted"

by that critera everyone in the games industry is a manchild

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i think i've heard that will wright's politics are awful but i might be imagining that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

has anyone from blizzard ever said anything that stupid?

iirc everything ive read from them has been pretty reasonable and polite but thats probably because if they step half an inch out of line (and even if they dont) they have a hundred thousand screaming crying infants beating down their forums about how mean it is to do whatever

i think the closest is jay wilsons really awful opinions on what constitutes fun and his defense of those ideas that was summed up as "i think its fun, everyone else is wrong, heres some extremely shaky psychology to back me up"

is he the guy who hosed up diablo 3 and then told the guy who made the good diablos to go gently caress himself? because yeah that sounded pretty stupid

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

is he the guy who hosed up diablo 3 and then told the guy who made the good diablos to go gently caress himself? because yeah that sounded pretty stupid

yep

he also said poo poo like "people love to see lots of useless items drop because you get a burst of pleasure every time you see items fall out of a monster"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

it's more that blizzard has 100 applicants waiting to take your job so if you don't goosestep to the company rhythm they'll just replace you

Al! posted:

by that critera everyone in the games industry is a manchild

schafer's a bit extreme in that regard

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

someone should show soulja a video of Jonathan watching a video of him playing braid

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Proteus4994 posted:

it's more that blizzard has 100 applicants waiting to take your job so if you don't goosestep to the company rhythm they'll just replace you

id say 10000 applications, but i meant more the lead people that fans know about like greg street. really though theres probably a company policy of "dont loving say anything personal about yourself ever ever ever" because of the sheer insanity of its fanboys

a few have talked about games they like to play and it usually comes down to "heres the 5 video games i like" so maybe theyre only slightly manchildish

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

schafer's a bit extreme in that regard

i dont know that much about him but he seems to own his own business and take care of his family unless youre talking about his company being unable to ever produce on time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Actually it's really hard to get fired from Blizzard if you're higher than Q&A

generally they just shuffle you from project to project or pay you to spin around in your chair until they find something for you to do if you're a gently caress up

Blizzard may not be terribly great at hiring lately if D3/SC2/most of the WoW team in the last few years are any indication but they're pretty loving picky; I haven't looked at their openings in forever but I remember them wanting you to have shipped a LOT of good AAA titles

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Actually it's really hard to get fired from Blizzard if you're higher than Q&A

generally they just shuffle you from project to project or pay you to spin around in your chair until they find something for you to do if you're a gently caress up

Blizzard may not be terribly great at hiring lately if D3/SC2/most of the WoW team in the last few years but they're pretty loving picky; I haven't looked at their openings in forever but I remember them wanting you to have shipped a LOT of good AAA titles

some of the stuff yeh, but things like quest design has a hilariously small list of requirements and a bunch of "suggestions" which sure sound like requirements

source: yeh maybe i applied years ago

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Proteus4994 posted:

i've never heard anything weird about sid meyer or will wright, although i have to imagine the sperg is heavy in those two guys

sid meier and his wife are both lutheran really hard

dude plays the organ for his church and doesn't hold public political views tho or even like talking about business

everyone just says he's super nice and humble and stuff so he's a jesus nerd that just wants to code up isabella gettin pissed at you for not loving jesus

will wright is a libertarian shithead

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
john carmack is a well adjusted famous person in the gaming industry, relatively speaking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

daft punk railroad posted:

john carmack is a well adjusted famous person in the gaming industry, relatively speaking
nah he's a dumb internet libertarian too

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i said relatively speaking

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

carmack's also a libertarian shithead and i read a tweet where he was defending a white supremacist

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

"I was sort of an amoral little jerk when I was young. I was arrogant about being smarter than other people, but unhappy that I wasn't able to spend all my time doing what I wanted. I spent a year in a juvenile home for a first offense after an evaluation by a psychologist went very badly."

is he a libertarian? i didn't think they were cool with open source anything

Al! posted:

carmack's also a libertarian shithead and i read a tweet where he was defending a white supremacist

:(

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Fabricated posted:

yeah raph koster is cool

the naughty dog guys seem ok

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

it's not so much that carmack isn't well-adjusted because he's a libertarian, more that he's not well-adjusted because he'd literally sit in his garage and code or play with rocket ships all day if he could

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

@ID_AA_Carmack
Reading Derbyshire's "We are Doomed"; I agree with most of his points, yet I remain a clear headed optimist.

this is a book where he argued that gender and racial equality are dooming society

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's the thing about twitter, maybe with >140 chars he might have clarified which of those points he agreed with

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Proteus4994 posted:

it's not so much that carmack isn't well-adjusted because he's a libertarian, more that he's not well-adjusted because he'd literally sit in his garage and code or play with rocket ships all day if he could

if you wouldn't enjoy doing those things in the garage instead of sitting at your cubicle quoting people and saying 'same' then i have no idea what you would rather do

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

that's the thing about twitter, maybe with >140 chars he might have clarified which of those points he agreed with

there is nothing john derbyshire says that isnt terrible though

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sid meier and his wife are both lutheran really hard

dude plays the organ for his church and doesn't hold public political views tho or even like talking about business

everyone just says he's super nice and humble and stuff so he's a jesus nerd that just wants to code up isabella gettin pissed at you for not loving jesus

will wright is a libertarian shithead

totally want to go hear sid meier rock out on the organ now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Al! posted:

oh ok

i'm guessing it's all ignorant goony white teenage male bullshit

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Blackula69 posted:

one time joe arpaio and steven seagal pulled up to this guy's house. he was suspected of cockfighting. so steven seagal drove a tank into his living room and then they shot his golden retriever. he wasn't charged with anything. Arizowneda

they also shot all the chickens

anyway sid meier forever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Al! posted:

"White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with"

:eyepop:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

totally want to go hear sid meier rock out on the organ now.

that description of being a lutheran with no political views makes him sound like the mr. rogers of bidya games

so yeah

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

"White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with"

:eyepop:

If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Al! posted:

If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date

hey man it's just statistical common sense :shepface:

man my day was going great until i found out this guy exists t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DIA: Give me some examples of how conservative pessimism might translate into policy.

Mr Derbyshire: Abandonment of "nation-building" exercises. Abolition of the federal Department of Education. A 1924-style immigration freeze. Repeal of No Child Left Behind. End of all federal subsidies to "community groups". End of all federal subsidies to arts and culture. End of all foreign-aid programmes that are not plainly and obviously bribes for pro-American behaviour. Restart construction of neutron bombs. Full-bore federal-subsidised research on missile defense. Withdrawal from the UN, followed by razing of all UN structures on American soil and sowing the ground with salt. How many d'you want?

DIA: You're an immigrant (and former illegal immigrant) yourself. Why are you so passionately anti-immigration?

neutron bombs

• Locked thread