Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daman
Oct 28, 2011

vOv posted:

now i'm curious: do we get any advantage from dna being a helix as opposed to a ladder?

it looks really rad on tv shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also the only reference in the wikipedia article on his father is to his father's obituary, where he (the son) is the one who makes all the claims about him being a great phlebotomist

i mean i'm sure that stuff is true but still

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nintendo Kid posted:

he seems to be mostly upset that popular media depicts dna helixes as being super tightly coiled and somehow this is a lie covering up real secrets about the human body

yeah but they look really rad as proven by the metal gear solid 2 intro

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

fritz posted:

there's a lot of dna tertiary structure going on beyond the double helix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleic_acid_tertiary_structure

yeah i vaguely remember this stuff from freshman bio, i guess it'd be harder to get this kind of stuff without twisting

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
lol one of my colleagues posted something on fb from watson's correspondence in which watson tears that dude a new butthole in peer review

http://libgallery.cshl.edu/items/show/31109

tldr version: you should collaborate with someone who knows what they're talking about and/or actually knows how to test your dumb ideas.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

lol one of my colleagues posted something on fb from watson's correspondence in which watson tears that dude a new butthole in peer review

http://libgallery.cshl.edu/items/show/31109

tldr version: you should collaborate with someone who knows what they're talking about and/or actually knows how to test your dumb ideas.

awwww shiiiit

that paper is the science equivalent of a bitch slap

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i hear watson is a big racist? should i still listen to his theories?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

I love Katy Perry.

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 3, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

I'm glad you're doing well Ian :unsmith:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BONGHITZ posted:

i hear watson is a big racist? should i still listen to his theories?

i hear that it is possible for people to be as amazingly wrong on one thing as they are right on another

this sick filth
Jun 6, 2008

3. Weird Child

Trig Discipline posted:

tbqh i know so little about mol bio stuff that i am honestly not qualified to have an opinion on the subject, but that kickstarter makes him look batshit crazy

yep, definitely batshit

https://www.ark-of-salvation.org/intro.php

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

About the Book & Author
Ken Biegeleisen, M.D., Ph.D.
Whoever You Thought You Were... You're A Jew! has been called the "Star of Hope for all Humankind". Although the first edition, written in 1994, attracted little notice in the English-speaking world, it caught the attention of Nobel Prize Nominee Dr. Prof. Hisatoki Komaki, founder of the Komaki Peace Foundation in Tokyo. This latter organization boasts 80 Nobel Prize laureates as members.

Prof. Komaki read the 519-page first edition (the current edition is the third) in one night, and immediately offered Dr. Biegeleisen the position of American representative for the Foundation; a position formerly occupied by the late double-Nobel Prize laureate Linus Pauling. He also incorporated Dr. Biegeleisen into his "Four Steps To Absolute Peace" notices which he placed into the New York Times Book Review and elsewhere.

Next, Prof. Komaki called upon the services of his colleague and distinguished linguist, Prof. Junichi Nakayama, to translate the book into Japanese. This was a labor of love, for which Nakayama received no financial remuneration.

Prof. Nakayama passed away only a few weeks after completing the translation. Upon his death, he was granted a posthumous award by Japan's Emperor Akahito for his lifetime scholarly achievements, of which this translation was one of the last.

Prof. Komaki used Dr. Biegeleisen's book, in Japanese translation, as a text in his post-graduate courses in subjects relating to world peace. It was one of his Komaki Peace Foundation members, Prof. Toru Matsufuji, who wrote that the teachings of that first edition were the "Star of Hope for all Humankind"

Whoever You Thought You Were... You're A Jew! has also achieved strong support from the African-American community. Dr. Biegeleisen's contribution to racial harmony was first recognized by the famous black writer Rudolph Windsor. Mr. Windsor was the author of the book "From Babylon To Timbuktu", which teaches, in a concise, entertaining but scholarly way, the history of the great black empires of medieval Spain and Africa. This work is found in virtually every bookstore which caters to black readers. Although Mr. Windsor is primarily a publisher and distributor of his own books, he added, some years ago, a video version of Whoever..., to his catalogue of published works.

One of the people who learned of Dr. Biegeleisen's work through Rudolph Windsor's catalogue was the Rev. Yasin A. Latif of the Eastern New York Correctional Facility in Napanoch, New York, a maximum security prison. Dr. Biegeleisen was invited to serve as minister of the Temple of Israel Ministry there. This was a black prison ministry, but Dr. Biegeleisen is a white Jew! This rather extraordinary invitation underscores the depth of affection of the black community for this book.

Dr. Biegeleisen, has achieved distinction in several fields besides religion, including medicine, molecular biology and music.

In medicine he is known as a practitioner of Phlebology, the art and science of treating diseases of the veins. His family has occupied a prominent position in this field for nearly a century. In his youth, he had no attraction to medicine other than family pressure, and he entered the field with great reluctance. He nevertheless managed to achieve significant advances. He organized the nation's Phlebologists into a medical society, which has now evolved into the American College of Phlebology, the primary certifying board for venous diseases. He also pioneered the treatment of vein diseases by fiberoptic catheter-based instruments, now considered the treatment of choice, and used in virtually every hospital in the United States.

Dr. Biegeleisen attended Cornell University and the New York University School of Medicine, where he graduated from the MD-PhD program in 1978. His PhD is in Molecular Biology, and he has been involved in DNA research for many decades. His recent publication of the structure of the Protamine-DNA complex has proven that the world-famous DNA "double helix" 1 is not necessarily the structure of DNA in all living systems. In fact, it may turn out that most DNA inside cells has a non-helical structure.

In addition to having written several other books, and quite a bit of music in various styles, Dr. Biegeleisen has served as a Baal Koree (Torah reader) in synagogues for many years, and has become proficient in reading all three extant Semitic languages: Hebrew, Arabic and Amharic (the language of Ethiopia). He is thus able to read the Bible and Qur'an in the original tongues, freeing himself from the occasionally misleading antics of translators

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:catdrugs:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Now there's a kickstarter I would back!!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BobHoward posted:

i hear that it is possible for people to be as amazingly wrong on one thing as they are right on another

lol just lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

this is inspiring

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

i can't decide whether the "perfect binding" or the $25 sticker price is funnier

excluding the title of course

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

"perfect binding" is actually a technical term used in the publishing industry

but not to describe spiral bound books

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

BobHoward posted:

actually, it's a helix

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

daft punk railroad posted:

actually, it's a helix
:eyepop:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BobHoward posted:

imho the comedy is more that the phrase by itself is the entire "overview"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

actually, it's a helix
NICE!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

actually, it's a helix

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

BobHoward posted:

Yeah I'm familiar with the term but seeing that next to a picture of a spiral bound book is lol

Tbf I've paid 5 times that for a spiral bound lab notebook....someone should start a wiki kickstarter for cheaper college lab notebooks :downs:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

actually, it's a helix

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

actually, it's a helix

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

Yeah I'm familiar with the term but seeing that next to a picture of a spiral bound book is lol

Tbf I've paid 5 times that for a spiral bound lab notebook....someone should start a wiki kickstarter for cheaper college lab notebooks :downs:

then we are on the same laff planet

i just started a new jorb recently where there is a biochem lab with lots of biochem types working therein and they have some kind of special lab notebook in the office supplies cabinet. i got frowned at when i tried to grab one. these fancy lab notebooks are not for plebe electrical engineers i guess

actually, it's a helix

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BobHoward posted:

i just started a new jorb recently where there is a biochem lab with lots of biochem types working therein and they have some kind of special lab notebook in the office supplies cabinet. i got frowned at when i tried to grab one. these fancy lab notebooks are not for plebe electrical engineers i guess

lol yr lucky u didn't get shanked

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

BobHoward posted:

the kind i was thinking about was more for babby's first o chem class or whatever, with experiment guides and the area for notes and everything

5 times more expensive than "you're a Jew", but 50 times as informative

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

the kind i was thinking about was more for babby's first o chem class or whatever, with experiment guides and the area for notes and everything

5 times more expensive than "you're a Jew", but 50 times as informative

or you could just combine the two and go with the lab protocols of the elders of zion

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

are you also a jew if you're not christian or muslim?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

prefect posted:

are you also a jew if you're not christian or muslim?

maybe you didn't read the title!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vOv posted:

the lab protocols of the elders of zion

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

vOv posted:

the lab protocols of the elders of zion

:monocle:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
loving lol https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brokencyde-forever

e: bree bree nigga

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
fffffffffffffflexible funding!!!

ahahahhaha "it's hard to flip burgers and write songs and record at the same time"

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 5, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

2.3k shares .6k dollars

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

watch freaxxx at your peril

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The 100% realistic FPS game

quote:

I want to create a 100% realistic FPS game, that makes your player limp if wounded in the leg, unable to shoot if wounded in arms etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1111022153/the-100-realistic-fps-game?ref=category

eat your heart out Arma

quote:

Risks and challenges

The most threatening risk is that one of the big software developers will pick up the idea before it's getting patented, and make the game faster than I and my team can accomplish.

ORIGINAL GAME DO NOT STEAL

• Locked thread