Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
aldi sud ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sparta posted:

guys only a week left to fund this guys sorta idea for making a website of tabels

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1630905008/statpediacom?ref=category

he jus tneeds a third of a million dolles

wtf is this lol

hrm yase
http://statpedia.com/staging/week-1...3Cfoo%20bar=%22

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

hey Ian theres too much negativity in this thread imo

while i dont think your website idea is really going to go anywhere I liked your kickstarter vid + you seem like a funny guy + you have nice teeth irl

thanks for signing up and posting here you kind of own i wish i were 1/10th as handsome and charming as u

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

also just a tip you can leverage the huge number of nerds on the internet to do your coding for you if you put the code up on github its like a free workforce just post it and they will swarm like flies to honey or w/e

github is like statpedia but for code

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

is it on gust cos it blows

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

Are you really that Mark from your profile picture?

"Mark"ov Chain Chomp is contractually forbidden from answering that question for what are hopefully obvious reasons

mods namechange posted:

is this some kind of avant-garde trolling

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Dr. Honked posted:

they should get youtube star boxxy to narrate their video

boxxy is epic and also ftw

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian have you heard of Bit Coins? They're an interesting investment opportunity you might like to get in on the ground floor of

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ian have you thought of making a site thats vaguely immoral and/or has pictures of a mans anus on it, that works p well in my exp

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

Ian do you have any formal cs training?

ian do u even lift

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

his undergrad is in capitalism iirc

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ian your very handsome but for 10 grand id expect a little more than 30 minutes of conversation iykwim

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

[for one thousand american dollers] I will upload a stat for you, and report back to you which stat I upload. I can even add a little "This statistic was made possible by donations from _______." Displayed somewhere with your approval. We can even discuss which statistic you would like to upload in recognition of your contributions plus everything mentioned above.

ian isnt the whole point that everyone can do this themselves, at no cost

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ian i dont think any of us here really disapprove of trying to extract money from idiots via kickstarter but atm the idiot on kickstarter seems to be u

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

and then we optimize this thing: http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/mapreduce-tutorial.html eventually optimized it into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover's_algorithm for most optimal database and search performance. Thinking in terms of endless possibilities, I suppose even that last search algorithm can be improved. That is if we can answer this question... http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=296126

Here is this guys answer: rrtucci

I'll give you an analogy that might help you. Suppose you know a series that converges to a constant pi whose value you don't know a priori. Think of the Grover oracle as a subroutine that gives you only partial information about the series each time you call the subroutine. Your goal is to find the limit of the series. Grover's algorithm helps you to calculate that limit by calling the oracle fewer times than you would have to, classically.

By the way, here is a Matlab program ( http://qbnets.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/my-secret-life-as-a-captain-of-the-grovers-algorithm/ ) that I wrote of a more general version of Grover's algorithm(GA). This new version is more general in two important ways:

(1)It does not require that <s|t> be of small, where |s> is the starting state and |t> is the target state. (The original GA only works if <s|t> ~1/sqrt(N) )
(2)It converges with absolute certainty to the target state (The original GA converges only with a finite probability.)

sounds legit

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lads i think were witnessing the development of a new form of trolling

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

no dont!!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ric posted:

Hi Ian,

This is a great idea. There are many business uses for Statpedia and it will be a huge success.

I think you would definitely reach your original $300k funding target if you made a funding video featuring Angus 'Statto' Loughran.

Statto is the UK's foremost expert on statistics, and would add instant credibility to the project. Investors would come flocking.

Hiring Statto would add a small amount to your initial expenditure, but, as a businessman, I am sure you are familiar with the need to 'speculate to accumulate'.

N.B. he may look a little older now.

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

Update: http://statpedia.com/staging/week-1...rter%20Projects

Using Statpedia's high powered predictive analysis algorithms, the system was able to determine the output for October.

ian im afraid 256*(1/2)^9 isnt 0

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ianed again

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

RIP Ian

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

unixbeard said he would give me 10k if I shut up

i love u unixbeard

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

Hey JawnV6 can I pm you to get further information about how to implement this thing.

Sure, I'd love to hear from you

- Jawn V6

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ian theres a good software community one forum up from this one ("serious hardware\software crap") i hope you come back though

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

shrek im watch

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I bet if one of us put in $19,000 it still wouldn't make it

if i were ian id fund the remaining $1000 myself and take you to the cleaners

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

0xB16B00B5 posted:

A 3 week retrospective on you stupid motherfuckers

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol at actually having $9.95 less than before your fundraising attempts

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

please come back ian i know your there :(

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

P.S. That kickstarter photo was taken while studying at King's College at Cambridge during my Undergrad.

which years were you there? theres a good chance i know your former classmates

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

I was there in 2008.

yeah that coincides. curious though, i didnt think kings offered single-year exchanges for visiting students at UG level. how did u enjoy your tripos

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

tef posted:

oxford is poo poo

im posting with a purpose here tef

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ahahah look at those uncuffed jeans. nice troll. try to be more subtle in future

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

flyboi posted:

i was on a trip for work for a day like hell i'm going to bring along two pairs of nice clothes

besides i don't splurge on jeans because i switch between 2 pair and wear them out far too fast to justify the cost

lol im kidding man cuffing jeans is hella w&w

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Large Hardon Collider posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/592285363/elements-custom-playing-cards-by-jackson-dolan

Please give me money, but first, some compelling reasons why I shouldn't be designing anything:

does it come w/ 5 aces

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fox racing wallet handle

• Locked thread