Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah "steam powered" is basically pneumatics but you use fire and boiling water instead of a compressor or vacuum pump because it was way easier to boil water than create a vacuum turbopump or compressor if you are restricted to 19th century manufacturing tolerances and materials

it's pneumatics but way easier for things to get rusted and corroded because everything has loving steam in it and then it will get stuck and then it explodes because of all that pressure and even after it explodes it covers everything in a mixture of scalding water and fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
even more cool is how far we've come with miniaturizing steam power i mean you can make a steam powered iphone charger now that will fit on your average kitchen table

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Powercrazy posted:

Gears are pretty complicated honestly. Even just conceptually they are non-intuitive.

nope

conceptually gears and gear ratios are just a bunch of levers and that's as simple as machines get

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
unless you are talking about hypoid gears and that's just basically magic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

wow, I learned something today, thanks for sharing

but why do people get all excited about the aesthetic of steam things but not, say, the elegance of a hydraulic backhoe.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

guys give us thirty five thousand dollars to put an arduino in space*

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/575960623/ardusat-your-arduino-experiment-in-space

*kickstarter will not fund the actual launch, we'll be begging for free cargo capacity. on a rocket. to space.

lol at consumer grade electronics in space. they say they're sending up multiple arduinos for error correction but all the censors built with a normal bulk silicon process will also have latchup and flipped bits all over the place so good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NotHet posted:

are you really going to get many SEUs in a LEO? If they're in a polar orbit u may worry about the saa but even then its like 1 every 15 days or something.

last place I worked they were designing two craft to observe the van allen belts by flying through them :science:

I found a neat graph:

For $35,000 i'm sure they can add whatever redundancy and watchdog/failsafe poo poo they need, but i question how often you'll have to reset everything, especially if there are sensors that have no redundancy or error correction

idk i dont make space parts, i just know that everyone who does uses an soi process and actually shields things

• Locked thread