Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

Jonny 290 posted:

guys give us thirty five thousand dollars to put an arduino in space

real science is putting an led blinker into space.

quote:

A commercial launch would be more expensive, but we've secured some contingency funding to finance it in case none of the other launch options work out
pls give us 35k to make some 2 layer pcbs and buy some COTS parts. btw we already have 100k in funding DO NOT ASK US ABOUT THIS

quote:

The baseline model of the satellite uses Arduino Nanos, mounted on a custom PCB.
I bet .1" through hole headers would do p. well in a 25hz@140db rocket fairing

quote:

This is a very ambitious goal (it would make it among the fastest space projects ever in the history space) but we are committed to getting you into space as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

kwinkles posted:

lol at consumer grade electronics in space. they say they're sending up multiple arduinos for error correction but all the censors built with a normal bulk silicon process will also have latchup and flipped bits all over the place so good luck with that.

are you really going to get many SEUs in a LEO? If they're in a polar orbit u may worry about the saa but even then its like 1 every 15 days or something.

last place I worked they were designing two craft to observe the van allen belts by flying through them :science:

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
This sounds a lot like Gapminder, but

CaptainMeatpants posted:

ill-informed, confused MBA project idea i've ever seen

https://www.bit.ly/NbK4G5 make sure to hit play, and check out the different categories on the left and bottom. You can graph any development metric against any other one; its really loving cool and the guy who made it is really brilliant.

Gapminder has an extremely clear purpose. I don't see how they can do this without having a small army of people to comb for data. They somehow manage to assemble all of this data, keep it up to date, and the importantly keep it authenticateable. They specifically cite sources from the UN (WHO, FAO), as well as organizations like World Bank and BP.
Even more impressive, Gapminder has chosen to offer all of this data they've compiled as a download--for free.

Your idea seems to (as others have mentioned) gloss over the hard parts of the steps to doing useful analysis. Build it, and the data will appear.

Download the gapminder database. Literally all of the hardwork has been done. The data is all relatable, its up to date, and there is a fuckload of it.
Explain (or demonstrate) something novel and interesting that statpedia can do with entire global histories of different stats.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Ian, thanks for ignoring my earlier post. it was srs and I put a good 10 minutes into it.

You are clearly currently putting a ton of time and effort into this. What are you going to do with kickstarter funding that you aren't doing now?

Traditionally with startups you work and hope it pays out, but you are approaching this in the opposite way. Get a payout, then hope it works.

With something like the elevation dock, they needed funding to begin production. What are you going to do with this funding that you can't do now?

edit: also join a Toastmasters in your area. You need to remove things like verbal pauses (um, uh) if you want to actually sell this.

• Locked thread