Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

boiler explodes and scalds his friend's remaining arm

I don't think people realize taht steam and all that contains is actually important for the "steam punk".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

kwinkles posted:

yeah "steam powered" is basically pneumatics but you use fire and boiling water instead of a compressor or vacuum pump because it was way easier to boil water than create a vacuum turbopump or compressor if you are restricted to 19th century manufacturing tolerances and materials

it's pneumatics but way easier for things to get rusted and corroded because everything has loving steam in it and then it will get stuck and then it explodes because of all that pressure and even after it explodes it covers everything in a mixture of scalding water and fire

Yea victorian era industry was pretty cool.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Socracheese posted:

An ideal place to use a complicated set of gears is ignored, good job idiots

Gears are pretty complicated honestly. Even just conceptually they are non-intuitive.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dumbledore 64 posted:

true story recently i tried playing a record while blowing it with a hot air dryer and it got really warped at first and was skipping around all over the place, but then as the heat evened out the centripetal forces made the whole record completely flat and even.

i wanna try it as a way to effectively unwarp records but don't want to risk it with anything valuable
There would be no way to ensure the tracks are (un)warped uniformly as the sound grooves are going to be different depending on the content of the record.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

kwinkles posted:

but why do people get all excited about the aesthetic of steam things but not, say, the elegance of a hydraulic backhoe.

The main part of the Steam Punk aesthetic has nothing to do with the steam part. It's the rich Victorian Aesthetic with the birth of crude machine tools (gears, paddle-boats, etc) that marked the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

That said, most of the "true" engineers I've met do have an appreciation for the complexity of modern machines, myself included.

Turbo Charger's are loving awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

qirex posted:

steampunk is popular because nerds like girls in corsets and will dress all sorts of silly ways to hang out with them [see also: goths]

If girls wear corsets because of steam punk that is just another win for the genre imo.

• Locked thread