Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A while back Mantic was teasing a new "post-apocalypse" game and one of the head guys tweeted a picture of a few minis of old, beat up 50s-60s cars from some other company and said they'd work great for the new game. This got a bunch of us excited it'd be a Mad Max styled game.

Then they announced the Walking Dead game. :geno: The cars were intended as scenery pieces I guess.

I remember that.

That loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How is there not a mad max racing/ chase game yet?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I remember that.

That loving sucked.

Yes but on the flip side it means some other, better company might make it instead

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Say they're from Brettonia, Mi'ame Dauphins.

Thank you. I was trying to work "Dauphin" in there somehow, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Didn't even occur to me to think of Bretonnia.

Ashcans posted:

How is there not a mad max racing/ chase game yet?
Car Wars 6th edition is coming next year, and it's substantially different enough to piss off the old grognards, so it might actually be enjoyable? Other than that, there have been a few tries, but it appears that the market isn't really all that into vehicular combat.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thank you. I was trying to work "Dauphin" in there somehow, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Didn't even occur to me to think of Bretonnia.

Games Workshop would prefer you didn't.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing that's been bugging me, the core rules mention a tournament where the winner gets a wizard for a year, and wizards were a part of old bloodbowl, but the rules for wizards as inducements or whatever are nowhere to be found in the rulebook or the deathzone season 1. Guess we have to wait for season 2 for that :v:
I was wondering why wizards weren't on the roster sheet. This whole adding new rules by season would be a great thing, if it weren't for the fact that we already had all the rules previously. Now it looks like they're just artificially crippling offering DLC for the game at a slow drip in an effort to sell expansions (which is, of course, what they are doing.)

Atlas Hugged posted:

Games Workshop would prefer you didn't.
:rimshot:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 27, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If it's not knights, sergeants and peasants, it's not a Bret team.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
On Mad Max, what about that Devil's Run game? I know basically nothing about it other than it appears to be vehicles and totally not riffing on Mad Max without the licence. I think it even includes an oil tanker.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ugleb posted:

On Mad Max, what about that Devil's Run game? I know basically nothing about it other than it appears to be vehicles and totally not riffing on Mad Max without the licence. I think it even includes an oil tanker.

Umm. How did I miss this KS? The box doubles as a tunnel tile. That's awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JcDent posted:

If it's not knights, sergeants and peasants, it's not a Bret team.

Yeah but really Dauphin is French nobility, which in the Warhammer world is the area in Southern Brittonia, since Brittonia isn't an island in Warhammer. So they're still looked at as Brittonian, but you could probably field a force of French warhammer fantasy as either, since they're not really strictly Brittonian either.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I thought Brets WHFB were all French all the time, or are they more Arthurian? Is only Moussilon French? Because they stink since they're undead?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JcDent posted:

I thought Brets WHFB were all French all the time, or are they more Arthurian? Is only Moussilon French? Because they stink since they're undead?

I'm pretty sure they're Arthurian, and I always figured Brettonia = Briton/Britain/Britannia seemed pretty obvious. They have like, knights of the round table, and their religion is based on 'the lady of the lake' which screams Arthurian.

Their leader was apparently "Gilles le Breton" though which does sound overwhelmingly French, so I guess the answer is both.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Remember that Britain control part of France for awhile, and loved using french as the official language of the court for a long time.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Total Warhams has the nobles and knights be very, very French, while the peasants have a very working-class British twinge to their accents. King Louen is practically ripped from the Frenchmen scene in Holy Grail.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's perfectly in keeping with England after the Norman Conquest. Nobility speaking Norman-French, subjugated Anglo-Saxons speaking English.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's perfectly in keeping with England after the Norman Conquest. Nobility speaking Norman-French, subjugated Anglo-Saxons speaking English.

Yeah, this is spot-on. In both cases where the 'English' held chunks of France, England was effectively led by a Frenchman at the time, so of course all the nobles under them (the more powerful/high-ranking ones at least) were French as well. First instance of this being William the Conqueror/Bastard (technically Normal) of course, who conquered England and put the Norman lords who supported into power, giving them English holdings. The second such occasion was due to Frenchie Henry II of the Plantagenet family inheriting the English throne. (This also led to the Hundred Years' War, as the French crown didn't want their former vassal -now the king of England- to hold huge chunks of France, and instead wanted to bring those lands back into the fold)
So yeah, it makes perfect sense, really. I believe it borrows more from the latter of the two similar scenarios above as that took place during the later medieval period, where mounted knights, etc. (with the kind of weaponry used by Brettonia, from what I've seen) were all the rage.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 28, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Brettonians are a mash up of Arthurian Knights with French nobility and pig-French names like Louen Leoncoeur. Plus Robin Hood.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Does anyone play vassal epic anymore? I helped beta test it many years ago, it was pretty fun.

I have a small imperial guard army but basically just to collect, I've never met anyone else that has epic models. I use them as proxies in battletech a lot.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zark the Damned posted:

The Brettonians are a mash up of Arthurian Knights with French nobility and pig-French names like Louen Leoncoeur. Plus Robin Hood.

In cannon they are also regressionists. They used to be (prior to 5th ed WHFB) a much more advanced civilization compared even to the Empire. Their nobles wore wigs, they had giant battleships and lots of cannons. The in-canon retcon reason for how they went from a force of 30 years war era armies to a bunch of Ye Olde Knights was that the previous society was too decadent and corrupt so Leon came along, seized the throne, and made everyone go back to the good old days of worshiping the Lady, hating guns and being chivalrous knights. Depending on your source this was either done because there's something super sinister about the Lady and she was protecting the industrialization of the forest, Leon is a crazy person, everything he did was totally cool and kosher and saved the nation or all of the above in different measures.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well we know for a fact that the Lady was in fact up to sinister poo poo so that's one theory proven.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well we know for a fact that the Lady was in fact up to sinister poo poo so that's one theory proven.

Given the number of writers and the subtle changes between editions, I don't really have an issue picking and choosing what you consider to be canon. I stick with 5e for Bretonnians and that Lady wasn't sinister.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

End Times is the last nail in that coffin, and in all of the other coffins.

End Times suck is what I'm saying.

It would be nice to have peasant arquebusiers and maybe fielding immobile, unreliable cannons.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

In cannon they are also regressionists. They used to be (prior to 5th ed WHFB) a much more advanced civilization compared even to the Empire. Their nobles wore wigs, they had giant battleships and lots of cannons. The in-canon retcon reason for how they went from a force of 30 years war era armies to a bunch of Ye Olde Knights was that the previous society was too decadent and corrupt so Leon came along, seized the throne, and made everyone go back to the good old days of worshiping the Lady, hating guns and being chivalrous knights. Depending on your source this was either done because there's something super sinister about the Lady and she was protecting the industrialization of the forest, Leon is a crazy person, everything he did was totally cool and kosher and saved the nation or all of the above in different measures.

Isn't it canon that the Lady is a wood elf? Kinda makes sense that Wood Elves wouldn't be too hot about industrialization.

Also - In Warhammer: Total War all the Brettonnians sound like Monty Python frenchmen. It's great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Some stuff about Adeptus Titanicus coming out of the Warhammer open day:
https://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/adeptus-titanicus-news.html

quote:

- Adeptus Titanicus is delayed (it was originally planned to be released around february). Not being rushed out. Might be out before the end of the year.
- There will be complete plastic buildings (which you can destroy yourself, by cutting etc).
- Thanks to Blood Bowl, and the delay there is a possibility of plastic Titans which go on sale at the same time as the black book / resin ones.
- The book art for 'Titan's Death' is being worked on right now.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've never played Epic but if they release decent quality plastic titans I'll buy a few of them just for collecting's sake.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Some more BB stuff confirmed, inc this guy:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1KL80BWIAEWm7W.jpg

There's a plastic Ogre plus Varag, Morg, Griff and Zug are back, and a Reikland Reavers box.

Apparently season 2 is April, next year sees Dwarfs in January and Goblins in April plus more star players and new pitches.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

There's a plastic Ogre plus Varag, Morg, Griff and Zug are back, and a Reikland Reavers box.

Apparently season 2 is April, next year sees Dwarfs in January and Goblins in April plus more star players and new pitches.

That Dwarf roller rules.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Roller rules, love the Dwarf team's aesthetic and I'm super tempted to get some later this month.

But then I remember they're Dwarfs and the worst team to play as/against in BB. :v:

Really interesting to see how far ahead they are with releases after that month of silence following the release. Curious if that has to do with Titanicus being pushed back. Super happy that they're doing the team starters and big guys in Plastic.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I assume the roller is in resin?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

That's an amazing roller sculpt :allears:

Kinda worried if it'll fit on the table though, that thing looms over its base. Next to another big guy... may not be room :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

That's an amazing roller sculpt :allears:

Kinda worried if it'll fit on the table though, that thing looms over its base. Next to another big guy... may not be room :v:

Agreed. I really like the look, but it looks huge and has to fit onto a board...

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Couple of better shots of the new releases, Roller looks a little bit smaller: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/03/warhammer-world-new-years-open-day/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Couple of better shots of the new releases, Roller looks a little bit smaller: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/03/warhammer-world-new-years-open-day/

This is also the first we're seeing of the plastic dwarf team, right? First I've seen em. Looks good, but I don't really play dwarves.

Gimme elves :(

Ah well, I'll get by on humans and skaven for now, close enough.

But I dunno, even in those other angles the Deathroller looks loving huge and next to like Morg'n'Thorg or a Black Orc or a Troll or Ogre or whatever, not sure there'd be any room!

In love with it as a model though, may get one even though I don't play dwarves just to paint it up.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zaphod42 posted:

But I dunno, even in those other angles the Deathroller looks loving huge and next to like Morg'n'Thorg or a Black Orc or a Troll or Ogre or whatever, not sure there'd be any room!

That's ok, no one ever hires Morg anyway. :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Look at the size of the bases and at how much mini is spilling over the sides of them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
We saw the plastic dwarves before. They were incredibly acrobatic.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
That Deathroller is idiotic. They just released a bigger board. I thought the world would be safe from base overhang reaching a point where it turns into square overhang for at least a year. I guess not.
Also, I wonder what the price tag on that thing is going to be.

Also:

Zaphod42 posted:

Gimme elves :(
This so much.
I'm close to jumping back in after not playing for years but I need some High Elves.
RN Estudio has a decent-looking team but it doesn't really blow me away. And they can't match the prices of GW's plastic sprues, obviously.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Yay Gobbos!

But I would really like to see some current team variant sculpts to help fill things out (I'm looking at you, Skaven.)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I waiting for standalone human and orc teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yay Gobbos!

But I would really like to see some current team variant sculpts to help fill things out (I'm looking at you, Skaven.)

Apparently FW is working on that, booster packs for the starter sets in resin with different sculpts.

• Locked thread