Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

How long after an accident can I change carriers?
Does a not-at-fault accident raise your rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You can change carriers whenever you want.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

As mentioned, whenever you want. The coverage was in place at the time of loss so it’s in force even if you changed carriers after the accident.

They might. You might not qualify for accident free discounts, and not at fault accidents can still be a rating factor.

Did you use an in network repair shop or one you picked? If it’s the former the insurer should pay rental because they’ll tell the repair shop they hosed up and negotiate some money off what they owe. If it’s the latter you’re out of luck.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you use an in network repair shop or one you picked? If it’s the former the insurer should pay rental because they’ll tell the repair shop they hosed up and negotiate some money off what they owe. If it’s the latter you’re out of luck.

I tried to ask if there was a shop we should bring it to, and I was told by the adjuster and claim manager "whatever shop you want".so if there was network/in-network shops I have no idea what they are.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tyro posted:

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

Yep, that's exactly what happened! The part that annoyed me was the car rental place were the ones who told me (2 days after USAA had stopped paying). If they hadn't bothered to call I would have been out of pocket for at least a week of car rental if not more. I would have been fine with it had I been notified in a timely manner.

Live and learn.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
TLDR:Would claim under renter insurance affect my home premium in the future?

Actual: We have bought a home and finishing up remodel before moving end of month. Meantime we rent and have tenant insurance. Both policies are under same company. Couple weeks back my kiddo tossed a hot wheels car at our tv and cracked the screen. It was nice OLED and not really in a budget for replacing right now. I asked support chat for renters policy and they said to open a claim “just in case” and that adjuster will advise if the claim is valid.
In the meantime I got to think if this claim will affect my home policy come renewal?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It might. It might not.

It's hard to say it, each insurance company has different rating algorithms and things that feed into them that it's hard to make a general statement. And they generally don't share this information publicly so you really don't know.

What's the deductible on your renter's insurance policy? Does your renter's policy cover it at replacement cost or at actual cash value? I'm guessing it's not going to be much over your deductible to buy a new TV.... In which case I wouldn't bother filing a claim.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I’m still playing phone tag with adjuster, so not sure how they pay. My deductible in Canadian bucks is 1000, the tv hasn’t changed much in price point at about 2300-2500 for old and equivalent new.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Folks.

I have two older adults in my life. Due to their poor life choices, they have little savings and retirement is upon them. I can foresee in a decade or two, my forties or fifties, to have to spend aboot 10 years providing long term care funds to facilitate home/live in care/rent.

Is life insurance right for me?

I'm getting 10-20 term life plans paying out a 1M for 45-55 a month. I don't see the benefit of saving an extra 250 a year vs providing more for the two of them (they are separated) on death so I'm going to go largest plan.

I don't know what they'd do on their own without me, I have one sibling but I don't think he'll be in a position to help them.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How do I "optimize" my car insurance policy? I pay $160 a month in car insurance. Yes, it's in Florida, where insurance of any kind is insanely expensive. But I might be getting more coverage than I need, I just don't know enough to really customize my own policy and reduce coverage for what isn't necessary. How would I get started with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How do I "optimize" my car insurance policy? I pay $160 a month in car insurance. Yes, it's in Florida, where insurance of any kind is insanely expensive. But I might be getting more coverage than I need, I just don't know enough to really customize my own policy and reduce coverage for what isn't necessary. How would I get started with this?

The answer is talk to your agent but it’s extraordinarily unlikely you have less coverage than you need at that price unless you’re judgment proof.