Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am at Flo and they are pretty open on our profits. We did huge numbers but our special lines products were really successful (RVs and other toys) Our home exposure is so minimal we don't suffer like the other carriers.

First quarter seemed pretty dire but they pushed accuracy for the claims process that helped and software updates have made life easier as an adjuster

I know for the agents Progressive was demanding some policies paid in full instead of monthly installments.

I will say I'm envious of carriers with Captive agents, they tend to be somewhat informed of the auto policy they wrote and can manage expectations. Anyone with a pulse seems to write for us and I'm tired of explaining why they needed to have the UM rejections on file even though they bought the book from their cousins neighbors and no we can't just deny UM now. Today was a genius who was requesting UM PD coverage for a lower deductible, dude their are two other at fault insurance companies and we are the only one negligent free here, no UM PD doesn't apply now tell your customer you helped him choose a $1999 deductible for collision coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tyro posted:

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nah, this is bad advice.

Insurance company estimates and shop estimates are almost never the same. The shop wants more money because that’s how they pay the bills, insurance wants to pay less because overpaying makes you not competitive in the marketplace. The shop and the damage appraiser will come to an agreed price almost every single time. There’s only a handful of places in any area that this doesn’t apply to, and it’s stuff like shops that cater to ultra high end exotics and charge insane rates. They get enough business and make so much overhead they don’t bother to negotiate.

I would be seeking a different shop if the guy told me that bullshit. You don’t have to use a network shop but this poo poo has been happening more often with shops, he should have said cool I will request a supplement if needed for the repairs. I have seen appraisal causes invoked for repairs and it’s always some bullshit the shop is wanting covered, $900 in admin fees, $500 in documentation fees, and the insured driver has no idea what they signed allowing them to invoke the appraisal clause on their behalf.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That’s a poo poo ton of liability coverage. Are you protecting a ton of assets?

Personally I like 100k liability pd since I don’t believe I am causing a multi vehicle incident.

Those are low deductibles for comp and collision. I would also be weighing how much I am going to get on a total loss and see if it’s worth even having collision coverage.

If your state has it, I would definitely want UM PD to protect myself from an uninsured driver hitting me.

The only reason I would stay with a carrier is for loyalty benefits. My current employer and carrier Progressive has accident forgiveness and more importantly a teen driver discount if the policy is old enough which I would need eventually.

loving agents man, had to do a statement with the independent agent who kept saying she messed up with the dates of coverage and how these are nice people so we need to help them out. At the end of the conversation I said you do understand we would be looking at subrogation for an Agent error correct? She was like what what what!??

Reminded me during my last agent errors and omission claim where we needed the signed Um form with a 21 year old policy when the agent said gently caress them they didn’t pay for the coverage so deny it dude. I was like dude it doesn’t work like that in Texas. It’s always these agents buying some book that was sold a few times over and they have no idea of the exposures

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Assets are a little north of a million at this point so technically if I wanted full coverage I should get more actually.

I think I don’t have UM PD because I have collision anyway? Weirdly, an article I just read said that UM PD is required in California, where I live. So I don’t know how I’m getting away with that.

I’m with progressive at the moment and I don’t seem to have any loyalty benefits. The only discount I have is a “good driver” discount.

Yeah Cali doesn’t have loyalty benefits with Progressive. I am guessing some state specific regulation that doesn’t allow it

Unless I am dying in an accident I won’t ever seek a possible um bi payout. Just not like no fault pip which is just littered with fraud

Umpd would also allow for a first party diminished value claim but of course that’s not happening on a older vehicle like yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Here’s your check for $150 to go away, I say good day to you sir

Yeah that would be great if certain carriers aren’t sending checks for 5k for DOV. I have hilarious demands from people every week, 7k demands when repairs totaled $1200.