Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Don't care about whatever drama is brewing: let's talk car insurance!

Let's say I have good health insurance through work already, and I'm opting in for collision and comprehensive auto coverage (in addition to liability for injury and property, but that's irrelevant to my question). Why would I ever want UI/UIM? My property damage should be covered by my collision coverage, and my healthcare claims should be covered by my work health plan, right? Along the same lines, why would I want Personal Injury Protection or Medical Payments coverage? That stuff should be covered by my health plan as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Jastiger posted:

Let's start with Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This is only available in some states, so if you're in a state that has this, PIP is different than simply medical because it also can cover things like lost wages in addition to medical expenses. The value there is that you get that extra coverage. In a lot of those states that offer it, its also often mandatory since it puts some of the risk of an unemployed insured onto an insurance company rather than the state for income during times you can't work.

Medical is pretty straight forward, it covers medical costs. The reason this is helpful is because in the event of an accident, the medical coverage from your car insurance will cover you. Your health insurance plan through work will too, absolutely, but think of it as kind of a "line of defense". It'll go through your car insurance first more often than not and then it will go onto your health plan. Depending on the amount of coverage this can be pretty helpful if you're severely injured. It can keep your health insurance costs down by not having to make a claim if you're laid up for a few weeks and there isn't a deductible on auto health coverage.

The other part of this is medical can be applied to other people in your vehicle as well while your health insurance can't necessarily.

They both cover the same thing, though, you're right. Usually medical is cheap for the amount of coverage you get so its worthwhile to pick it up in a car insurance policy.

The UI/UIM is useful if there is an accident and they do not have insurance or not enough insurance. If a car hits you and they have no insurance, and you don't have UI/UIM, then you're more or less screwed and will fork over whatever it is plus your deductible. Remember, the liability limits are to cover the other persons car, not your own, so if they have no liability limits, then you're out whatever it costs to fix your car. With UIM/UI there is no deductible and it covers everything, not just your vehicle. This one is optional of course, but it can be quite useful if you are ever in that situation.

Here's what I got out of this:

1. PIP also covers lost wages. But how is this valuable if I have disability coverage through work?
2. Medical can cover my health insurance deductible and is put into effect before health insurance. How is this valuable if I have a low deductible health plan?
3. Seems like Medical can cover other people in your car, that's one unique benefit (although not valuable to me in particular because I don't drive others around).
4. I still don't understand why UI/UIM is useful. If a car hits me and they have no insurance and I don't have UI/UIM personal property coverage, wouldn't I put in a collision claim and just be out the deductible? I don't see how I would be "out" anything except my collision deductible. I could also use my health insurance (non-auto) for any health expenses, and my disability coverage (non-auto) for time missed from work. It seems like the only thing UI/UIM would be useful for is pain and suffering money, but in practice, wouldn't my health insurance go after (I believe the term is "subrogation?") the limits on my UI/UIM policy and leave me with almost nothing for pain and suffering anyway? The logic here being that if an accident was bad enough to cause me to seek pain and suffering compensation, it was probably bad enough to max out my UI/UIM limits for medical expenses.

Let me know how wrong I am! Also, for the record, I currently carry 100/300 UI/UIM, but I'm just curious about the utility.