Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

My problem is similar to Alterian's - I've got a kid on the way, and need to figure out insurance for it. The problem, though, is that in Minnesota, you can not get a child-only insurance plan, and adding it to either my wife's or my employer plan is prohibitively expensive. I pay nothing for coverage for just myself, but it's $450/mo to add a child to my plan, or about 12% of my gross income. For one child. My wife pays about $230 for herself, and it's $600/mo to add a child. That would make her health insurance costs about a third of her income.

It looks like our options are:

1. She goes on an individual plan with her and the baby. A plan with the same insurer she has at work, with a $2000/4000 deductible, looks like it would run about $300/mo, so +$70 to our budget. She is adamant about not doing this because of pre-existing condition concerns, primarily the post-birth checkups and such not being covered. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but I think she's wrong here.

2. Put the baby on my employer plan. +$450 to our budget. This is the option of last resort.

3. I go on an individual plan with the baby and drop my employer plan. +$300/mo to our budget. I feel like at that point, I might as well just go with option 2.

4. My wife or I keep our employer plans, and also get an individual plan with the baby, maybe with a higher deductible to keep the cost down. I have no idea if this is even possible.

I feel like the costs for everything except maybe option 1 are just obscenely high. Is there anything I'm missing here? Should we just seek asylum in a country with a functioning health care system?

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

StdNormDist posted:

Wow those are awful premiums. Option 4 is possible and it's what I'd recommend. I forget what the costs were but I remember when I looked for an individual plan for my kid it wasn't unreasonable. The premiums they're asking for are ridiculous.

It wouldn't be an individual plan just for the kid - that's not even possible to buy here in MN. It would be a plan for myself and the kid, meaning I'd have double coverage. That seems like something that could cause a lot of issues - like each insurer saying "no, the other insurer should cover that" - if I ever need anything.

sheri posted:

Your wife is probably correct here. Until 2014 (and it remains to see what happens then), insurers can still deny claims for adults with pre-existing conditions for insurance policies purchased on the individual market. This could be waived if she gets some sort of certificate from her current insurance that says she was covered for XX amount of months/years/whatever prior to purchasing the individual coverage-- I forget what they call that but you might want to look into that.

Well, that's disappointing. The individual plans we're looking at are with the same insurer she's with through her employer; would that make any difference?