Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
How much of the insurance industry's focus (and financial resources) revolve around "find a reason to deny this claim". I understand why they investigate (fraudulent claims) but how long do they dig and search until they find a loophole/fine print that will get them out of paying? There is a scene in the 2004 film "Crash" where the shop owner's store is vandalized, and the insurance adjuster overhears the daughter say that the break-in could have been prevented if they had the door fixed. This is when the adjuster basically closes up his notebook and tells them "whelp, thats your fault, have a nice day paying for this yourself". Do insurance adjusters get reprimanded by awarding too many claims? Do they have a personal motivation to pay as few claims as possible? How does awarding or refusing claims affect their career in the insurance field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Thank you, this is the info I was looking for.
I'm glad to know that an adjuster is just a regular guy doing a regular job. I imagined this scene played out in my head: At the annual corporate rubber chicken dinner Joe is recognized for being the adjuster of the year, by denying the most claims and saving the company the most money. "17 claims ($240 thousand dollars) *cue applause* that we were about to pay off on, until good ol' Joe here kept his nose to the grindstone, looking into old records, pick/choosing which witnesses to believe, and all night stake outs parked across the street until he 'got the goods' on people trying to steal the money that I swim in like Scrooge McDuck. Good job, sir. Here is a gold watch"

No, people dont read their policy, me included. Yes, people demand instant refunds. (State Farm "sing the jingle, adjuster magically appears" ad campaign).

Based on your post, I am going to answer the next question on my own
Q: Why do I have to call YOU to get my rates lowered, shouldn't they be as low as possible at all times? (discount double-check)
A: Each agent is responsible for hundreds of policies, and when changes happen, they dont happen automatically.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I am sure it is BS, but what is "You can save thousands on car insurance with this one easy trick the insurance company doesn't want you to know"? I know this is a scam, and I refuse to click the link to find out.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
My Mom passed in July, and her insurance company has sent me this letter:

"The Hospital has advised us that they will require a copy of the court appointment naming the Executor/Executrix of the insured's estate. If the insured's estate is not being probated, please let us know. You may also wish to contact their office and ask what alternative they will accept."

I am not sure what this means, and it appears to be holding up the money. My Mom had zero assets, bonds, investments, or any property of worth what so ever, period. There is less than $5 in her bank account.

When my Dad passed away a few years ago, he had about $4000 in the bank, and I had to get a Small-State Affidavit to get the money. That needed the divorce papers between him and my Mom (I guess to rule her out of any award). The money was split between us two younger kids (older brother from previous marriage).

Is this what they are asking for?

I'm pretty sure I was named primary benefactor, but she might have included my siblings. Will the insurance be split 3 ways?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Thanks for the replies.

I called the insurance company, and they told me I did need a small state affidavit. When I had to do this for my Dad, I went to the lawyer that helped me buy my house, and she told me it would cost $500. I went to another lawyer, and he charged less than half that. Can I do this myself? It seemed like just collecting specific documents from city hall and what-not.

OssiansFolly posted:

They will come after her estate for the bills. DO NOT PAY HER BILLS OUT OF YOUR OWN MONEY. Seriously...you are NOT responsible for ANY bills once the estate has been liquidated. So, if any company attempts to collect from YOU after all her assets have been liquidated tell them to eff off. You should also post this in the debt thread because those guys are a lot better than me, but here is a link to help support what I've told you.

As Jastiger said, if there is a life insurance policy that money goes to the beneficiary tax free and the beneficiary holds ZERO responsibility for outstanding debts. That money never was and never will be money that can be taken after your mother has passed.

Also, sorry about your loss.

Her only asset was her meager bank account, which as I stated is empty. Does this mean The hospital, doctors, ambulance and hospice cannot take a chunk of the insurance money I am going to get?
EDIT: no, they don't get anything, I read the link in your post

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2015