Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I moved and got married and need to change insurance to accommodate new address. Since we moved from the country to the big city Geico wants to double premium from ~750 to ~1550 so in trying to shop around and find new insurance but have a few questions.

1) is it better to call an agent and talk to them? So far I've been puttering around online and rates are all pretty high.

2) how do I determine how much insurance i need above state minimums?

3) are there fees for cancelling an insurance policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm starting a new job and they offer life insurance. The rate for my age and non-smoker is $0.04/$1000 per month.

If I sign up within 10 days of hire I do not need a medical exam.

I know nothing about insurance but that seems like a decent price. I can go up to 8x my salary, for $500k/$20/mo

In married, but at the moment have no mortgage or kids, but that will probably change in the next few years. I feel like this is a pretty low cost and would be a good idea, but I know nothing about life insurance.

Is this a good cost?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Get a real quote on term life, look at the portability, and how much it increases with age. Unless you are a smoker it's almost certainly a bad deal in 15-20 years. I ran a spreadsheet and it tipped over even sooner for me, and I got top rating. Somehow.

I got a quote for a 20 year 250k policy and it came out at $38/mo, vs paying 10/mo for 250k through my employer.

Seems like the employer plan is a good price compared.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Recently closed on a condo that has an association, but it's only two units (old 2 family house converted into two condos). The master insurance policy was set up by the entity that did the condo conversion, and I assume they didn't care what the cost of the master insurance policy was, and I wanted to see if we could find a lower-cost plan. What's the process to shop around for business insurance?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

If you bought a condo in an association, you're subject to the CC&Rs of said association. It's up to the board or controlling interest to determine the terms of the master policy, not you the individual unit owner.

There are two units in the association. I am a trustee of the association along with the other owner.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

How long after an accident can I change carriers?
Does a not-at-fault accident raise your rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you use an in network repair shop or one you picked? If it’s the former the insurer should pay rental because they’ll tell the repair shop they hosed up and negotiate some money off what they owe. If it’s the latter you’re out of luck.

I tried to ask if there was a shop we should bring it to, and I was told by the adjuster and claim manager "whatever shop you want".so if there was network/in-network shops I have no idea what they are.