Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Hey OP, first off thanks for this thread. Insurance can be a pretty weird thing, especially for a lot of younger people, so having a thread like this is incredibly useful.

My girlfriend got into a car accident about a week ago, she wasn't at fault (I live in Florida), but now I'm at risk for being dropped by my car insurance since she wasn't on the policy as an excluded driver or as a driver of the vehicle we jointly own. I wasn't even aware she needed to be on the policy in any capacity, and just figured my insurance policy covered my car. If I do get dropped, I don't have anything negative on my driving record, but what can I do if I am dropped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Jastiger posted:

Technically the insurance company would be perfectly within their rights to NOT cover the claim. She is in the home, is a licensed driver, and you never indicated to them that she was otherwise insured. It's very important that the people in your home that can drive are listed on a policy SOMEWHERE. The comp and collission may still be covered by them, but the actual liability if ther ends up being any...not so much.

You would most likely just need to find another company. They may ask "Were you ever dropped" And you'd have to say yes, but I wouldn't expect it would be a huge deal since most companies really wouldn't care. The tricky part will be now that you need to put your gf on, SHE has no insurance history....which will raise both your rates.

Yeah, just got the call, my insurance is being dropped effective immediately. I'm mostly worried about what that's going to do to my rates, since they just lowered for the first time since I actually got insurance. Any tips on where I can find cheaper auto insurance?

To be clear, we understood that our insurance didn't cover any damages since she wasn't insured, which is why we're going after the other company for damages.