Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I was involved in a hit-and-run (not my fault) and I was able to grab the make/model and tag numbers off of the car and take a picture of it as it sped away... police track down the car, but the person it's owned by/had the insurance policy wasn't the person driving the car (hit-and-runner was male, policy owner was female) and she wasn't giving anyone up; she claimed to not even know that the car had been used despite being at home all day... she also didn't file a police report that the car was missing and when police did go to her house 2~ hours after the crash, the car was there, so...... :iiam:

Anyway, I go though the whole insurance thing by paying for repairs through my insurance company (Geico) with the expectation that her insurance company (esurance/Allstate) will get me back for my deductible since it was her car that was involved in the crash. Unfortunately, today I received a letter from esurance/Allstate claiming that they "have determined that this policy does not afford coverage for [my] loss." Doesn't even the bare minimum auto insurance cover some amount damage to other vehicles? Is there some weird rule that the insured themselves must be driving the insured vehicle for them to cover damages?

No, in fact in most cases when you borrow someone's car you also borrow their insurance. There are, however, exclusions in most auto policies for both stolen vehicles and excluded drivers. It's most likely the Allstate denied coverage as the driver was added onto an excluded list (crazy ex-boyfriend, for example). It'd be pretty hard for them to deny liability coverage for a "stolen vehicle" if charges were not pressed for auto theft.

Additionally, it's somewhat state specific. Depending on the jurisdiction the driver's auto insurance may be primary or the coverage may be worked out pro-rata (shared responsibility for the owner/driver's insurance companies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Jastiger posted:

The UI/UIM is useful if there is an accident and they do not have insurance or not enough insurance. If a car hits you and they have no insurance, and you don't have UI/UIM, then you're more or less screwed and will fork over whatever it is plus your deductible. Remember, the liability limits are to cover the other persons car, not your own, so if they have no liability limits, then you're out whatever it costs to fix your car. With UIM/UI there is no deductible and it covers everything, not just your vehicle. This one is optional of course, but it can be quite useful if you are ever in that situation.

UM/UIM is injury coverage only. If the other party is uninsured and you have UM coverage through your own carrier they will step in and offer a settlement for your generals + specials (loss of livelihood/ability/general inconvenience oef being injured and medical expenses). If the other party has minimum limits (let's say 15k) and the accident causes significant injury (say you have 60k in medical bills) your UIM coverage will apply up to the limits of liability you purchased from your carrier.

UMPD is coverage for your vehicle should it be struck by an uninsured motorist. States have different ways of applying this coverage. Some states require a deductible, some don't. Some require you to have identifying information on the other vehicle, some don't. Generally the benefit of UMPD is a lower deductible than collision coverage, however many times UMPD has limits of liability that can restrict it's usability. (3500 in CA, etc.).

There are a couple important things to note: most carriers will require your liability limits (BI/PD) to be higher or the same as your UM/UIM limits (no getting a 250/500 UM/UIM and 100/300 BI/PD). Also, in many states UIM isn't stackable - the amount that will be paid from your UIM limits will be reduced by the amount of any 3rd party BI payments. If the guy that hits you has 25k in BI coverage and you have 25k UIM, you won't see any UIM from your own carrier. If you have 100k UIM you'll be looking at up to 75k from your own carrier.

UM/UIM are extremely important coverages to carry with moderate to high limits. Most people who aren't insured (or have minimum limits) probably don't have assets either and you could be stuck with footing the bill for their negligence.

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Chrysotile posted:

I guess it isn't so much that I think we're terrible drivers and are gonna get sued, but I know that we make pretty good money and will have assets in the coming years worth suing over. My wife and I make about $275000 combined a year, and we do work in a field where individual liability is a concern. Our employer ensures us for work related liability for 5 million per incident so I'm not sure if an umbrella policy is needed. I just don't know how car stuff works and if they can sue for future assets / garnish my wages / whatever. I just see PI lawyer ads on TV where they specifically talk about how the earning potential of the at fault driver can figure into the process etc.

We have coverage at 50/100 right now, I'll look into how much more it is to raise that.

If you're making 275k combined please max out coverage with whatever carrier you have (generally it'll be a 500k or 1mil CSL) and get some kind of an umbrella. If for some reason your wife or you are involved in an accident that results in significant injury (or even a heavily inflated minor injury) and the decision goes to the courtroom you could be looking at a significant risk to your assets. Liability coverage is extremely cheap and can save you a lot of hassle, only having 50/100 is a huge disservice.

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

Progressive's snapshot thing: How does it work? Does it meter braking force and acceleration force? I've considered doing it but I fear it will end poorly. I drive a underpowered land barge, throttle and brakes are utilized as needed!

Hard stop, times of driving (rush hour + night time) and speed. There's no risk of doing it (they won't increase your rate based on snapshot data) so it's worthwhile to at least try.

askholic posted:

This is about auto insurance.

I bought auto insurance about a week ago in order to buy a car, I only have learner's permit and won't be taking my road test until Sept 9th but when requesting a quote I said I have a driving's licence under a year old and I had a defensive driving certificate(which I didn't) to get a better rate, I didn't think much about it at that time because I wanted to switch to a better insurance at another company right after I get my licence. I paid 6 month in full to receive a one time discount and I knew I can get the rest of the money back anytime I cancel my policy. Then after I paid the full amount online, they send a email telling me that I should mail them my defensive driving certificate and my driving licence by sept 1st...of course I didn't.

Then s**t happens, 2 days ago I was practicing my parking in a parking lot of my apartment, I brushed another car's rear bumper with the head of my car when pulling out and left some scratches. It was nothing major, no one was around, no camera or anything, I could have run but I stayed and called the police and reported it, the police found the owner of the car. I talked with the owner saying that since the damages were minor we could go to a car mechanics and I would pay out of the pocket.

:cripes:

The insurance company can do the several things mentioned above. They can also outright deny the claim for material misrepresentation/fraud if the defensive driving certificate took a large enough effect on your policy premium. Also, a bumper scratch will be somewhere around 1k USD depending on local labor rates. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a rental car (at least 4 days worth) as well as diminished value of the vehicle (if you live in a state that allows for such, especially for one that automatically calculates it into the loss payment).

RebeccaBlackFriday fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 5, 2013

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Jastiger posted:

It doesn't matter how much you drive for most insurance companies.Its sad but true, for most companies if you drive once a week or 5 days a week, your rate is going to be the same. That is why some companies have introduced SmartRide or SnapShot to look at your driving habits to more accurately measure your driving. Otherwise its just "but I barely drive!!!" against the stats and the stats are going to win every time.

As far as general rate increases, its possible. They happen all the time. An extra $360 is a lot though if you have a solid record. I'd shop around a bit if you're unhappy with your company. If your rates end up being close to what they are with your existing company then you know it wasn't a wily rep. Otherwise, change on over!

Actually California ratings MUST factor average mileage/year per the DOI. Discount-as-you-drive programs (Snapshot, Smartride, etc) aren't permitted in California due to the stringent rating structures for auto insurance.

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Medical its a bit more up in the air. The other coverages are liability, which will pay out only if someone else is liable, and thus assignable damages in court. Its money that can be recouped through that process.

PIP/Medical is often regardless of fault, a payout that is going to happen no matter who is at fault, so its just a claim that is paid out. If someone else is LIABLE for causing medical injury, then you're better off going after that liable party instead of just taking the payout from the insurance company. They'll make him whole, but it'll count as a claim for him whereas going after their insurance will have them making a payout with no flat payout.

I'm sure in some instances a company COULD go after the other party for a medical payout, but...they'd just assign that under liability and the medical amounts are generally small enough a company is just gonna pay out and forget about it.

In some states you can double-dip and obtain damages from both your own insurance company (directly paying for the medical bills) and the other insurance company (compensating you for bills you "paid") as well as the general damages from the at-fault company. In other states your first party insurer is REQUIRED to provide PIP coverage (which may or may not be recoverable) before the claimant carrier pays out anything - this doesn't apply to general damages.

Basically, the best way to ensure you're covered is to use the coverage you pay for. Just because you have a claim doesn't mean it will impact your rates.

Edit: Also note that since your first-party coverage (PIP/Medpay) is a contract, in most states they will be a lot more free with what you can seek as far as treatment, timeframes, etc. With a third party insurer you're likely going to have a little bit more trouble. Also, if the third party insurer has any kind of issue with their limits they may withhold payment until your treatment has been completed (and you'd be stuck with a lot of medical bills/late fees).

RebeccaBlackFriday fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I would never do homeowners through an auto carrier like progressive or geico. They farm it out to a third party and the policies are never as good as a dedicated home owner place.

USAA's boat coverage is through Progressive :unsmith: