Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

This is a really fun and informative thread. It seems like the majority of posting goons are either agents or claims adjusters. Are there any lurking underwriters, analyst, or actuaries? Might not be as helpful for the Q/A but it would be interesting to hear from the back end of the insurance enterprise as well as the front.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I wouldn't be too surprised if more companies start implementing things like progressive snapshot. Market segmentation through analytics is becoming a big topic and lots of firms are trying to move into the UBI space. The savings can be substantial in some cases though so I wouldn't rule it out immediately unless you know your driving habits are high risk or are really opposed to being data mined

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm when the Progressive guy was doing his sales pitch for Snapshot, he mentioned that my rate could go up if I do a lot of hard acceleration/braking, and it seems like a no-brainer that they'd penalize me if their device thinks I'm a hazard. Are you sure I wouldn't get penalized?

I did a google search for "progressive snapshot penalty" and "progressive snapshot increase" and came up with this:

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/03/27/bloomberg-progressive-snapshot-drivers-to-get-discounts-sooner-bad-drivers-still-will-pay-more/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-24/progressive-to-charge-risky-snapshot-drivers-more-in-new-plan

But that's kind of the only articles I'm finding about rate increases, and it's from nearly a year ago.

I mean *I* know I'm a safe driver with a great driving record, but I can't predict the future and I don't know if the Snapshot thing will find some kind of excuse to penalize me. Progressive is a business that's out to make as much money as possible, and I know they're not my "friend".

This is an interesting article I found about Snapshot:

https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/
The comments are actually worthwhile (a rarity on the internet)

The article and comments have a troubling number of people mentioning that they got a "discount" from using snapshot, but then they also got a "routine rate increase" that was conveniently within 1 dollar of their discount.

Something to think about is that in general people are less likely to post about positive experiences than negative ones so those comments will be biased towards the negative end. Large auto carriers will increase their rates periodically though so it wouldn't be crazy to have a 2% discount balanced out by an annual 2% rate increase for example.

You don't really have to worry about progressive trying to screw you since the competitive market will control their rates. If you know you are a safe driver I would advise giving it a shot unless the competitors rates are significantly lower already which they may be depending on your profile.

Disclaimer that I don't work for progressive and ymmv with my advice. Also drunk posting.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I know an agent that works as an accountant and owns a restaurant supposedly full time on all 3. No idea when she sleeps.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Trillian posted:

How do insurers calculate the replacement cost of a house? I found a few pay services to get a replacement assessment done -- is there anything free that would give me a vague ballpark figure?

My home insurer thinks my replacement cost is 25% more than the purchase price of the property, and I don't live in an exceptionally cheap area. I am suspicious since it allows them to charge me more.

Have you asked your agent? Replacement value is not the same thing as market value though

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, yes.

This sounds incredibly open for abuse. What's the catch?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Min limits?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Edit: I'm dumb. New guess is that it damages the structure

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Valicious posted:

Hey Overwatch goon buddy!

We have two cars (2015 Ford Mustang ecoboost and 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO MR) and a motorcycle (Yamaha....something, new bike we got last year), and we're looking for new insurance company. The cars have $500 deductible on Collision and Comprehensive, a few thousand for Medical, but the minimums for everything else. The bike is about the same level. There's two drivers on the policy, and both have crystal-clean records.
Right now we're paying $416/month through Progressive for both cars, $135/month for the bike, and $16/month for $1,000 of renter's insurance. (REALLY need more, like $100,000)

Do those rates seem high to you? I've been trying to get various quotes online, and they all seem really...really high. Do you have an email? Maybe I can throw a goon some business.

State?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Barring some other intervening factor the tow truck causing damage should be treated as comprehensive. Fun fact about sunken cars, the insurance company needs to retrieve it if possible and it's hella expensive. Thanks ice fisherman that driver their trucks out on the lake. :v:

If the cost to retrieve exceeds the replacement cost of the vehicle is the insurance company still required to retrieve it even if the insured cashes out? I guess it would make sense since there's probably some law against dumping vehicles in lakes

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

There was a couple of incidents I've heard of where people drove their vehicles out onto the Lake Erie ice and ended up with their vehicles on the bottom.

I take it that's one of those "Here's your insurance money, now GET OUT" (policy cancellation) incidents?

"Yeah uh it's the car on my policy... the Chavelle. Yeah. Well it was being transported on a boat... Well it went overboard... uh some place called Marianas, near Guam..."

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it's surprisingly hard to get a policy cancelled midterm like that. Non renewal sure though

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Droo posted:

I have car insurance through Traveler's, two cars for two drivers. In my policy it contains this:

code:
Vehicles        Use of Vehicle   Mileage 
1. 08 ACURA TL        Pleasure     5,294 
2. 05 ACURA 3.2TL     Pleasure     13,491
I called my agent to ask where those numbers come from and if they affect my cost, because the liability expenses on the older vehicle are higher:

code:
                              08 ACURA TL       05 ACURA 3.2TL
A. Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $381                 $434

B. Property Damage
$100,000 each accident                $83                  $95

D1. Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $135                 $150
The agent insists that the mileage doesn't matter, doesn't know where it comes from, and says it has nothing to do with the difference in cost of the insurance. She blamed the price difference on the age of the vehicles - the older car being more likely to fall apart and crash I assume.

Can anyone confirm what she said? It seems weird that they would have some random mileage numbers on the policy that don't mean anything.

This doesn't make sense to me since we're looking at liability coverage premiums. My money's on some kind of discount structure or driver rating that's not obvious from the dec. Same comment for the mileage figures.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is "get as much insurance as you can afford," but I think I'm overdoing it at this point. I've got a '99 Subaru that's probably worth about $1500 judging by Craigslist. State Farm has raised my rates by 15% since January. It's now $80/mo for $500 deductible comprehensive. I'm really considering reducing coverage to liability and uninsured motorist. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm sure these two things matter: We do have a second car, so I could get to work until I could get a replacement. And if worst comes to worst, I could buy a $3000 beater Prius/Civic Hybrid/Civic at effectively no cost to myself (company reimbursement).

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is "get as much insurance as you can afford," but I think I'm overdoing it at this point. I've got a '99 Subaru that's probably worth about $1500 judging by Craigslist. State Farm has raised my rates by 15% since January. It's now $80/mo for $500 deductible comprehensive. I'm really considering reducing coverage to liability and uninsured motorist. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm sure these two things matter: We do have a second car, so I could get to work until I could get a replacement. And if worst comes to worst, I could buy a $3000 beater Prius/Civic Hybrid/Civic at effectively no cost to myself (company reimbursement).

Drop physical damage coverage, not liability. UM is really cheap for the coverage you get and you'll be reeeeeeally happy you have it if you ever need it. State Farm is raising rates everywhere because they're bleeding out of every orifice in the auto market just like every other carrier. Expect another bump next year, albeit a smaller one.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 27, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

You can automate underwriting guidelines so probably

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Bad faith suits are always fun

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Isn’t HDHP ideal unless you have a chronic condition? If you’re paying the premiums out of pocket at least. If my employer is paying everything then of course I want top of the line everything.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The CW is that your rates start to go way up after 2 or 3 years (because people don't bother shopping around once they've hard coverage for that amount of time) so fire away.

Citation needed. Shop your renters and auto all you want. Moving homeowners can be a pita if you have a mortgage.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 11, 2018

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

What about Whole Life?

It seems like it would be better, if you can afford it, to pay a bit more but have a cash value at the end, while term is basically you getting nothing for paying into it for 30 years.

Nothing except the insurance protection which is the point of purchasing the product. If you want to invest then invest, if you want insurance then buy insurance.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

My auto insurance with Progressive is up for renewal and I’m getting real tired of them jacking up my rates after every 6-month renewal period. I’ve been with Progressive for like a decade, I pay my 6 month premium in full, I’ve only ever made one claim in my entire life (windshield replacement, like 5 years ago), I’ve never been in an accident, I’ve never so much as gotten a speeding ticket in my life. Despite this, my 6-month premium has jumped by like $60+ each time for the last 3 renewals, and that poo poo is getting old.

I’m ready to jump ship unless there’s a way to get them to play ball and not raise my rate for no reason. I don’t know if Root Insurance is poo poo, but I’m running their “test drive” app on my phone right now (and guess what? I’m loving nailing their criteria).
Do I have other (better) options to keep from getting perpetually hosed by my insurance company?

Call an agent and get a bunch of quotes. All auto carriers have been raising rates over the past few years so your situation isn’t progressive specific. Root insurance is burning through vc atm but they’re a real carrier if you don’t mind not having a local claims person to yell at if anything happens.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Inflation also plays a factor. Rising costs of repairing vehicles and the massive costs of healthcare are also a big one (severity) even though safety features can mitigate or avoid accidents (frequency). If your carrier also writes home insurance and gets blasted with a hurricane or tornado or whatever, they’ll often raise rates for auto to help offset it, because customers who bundle home and auto are typically less price sensitive and won’t leave as frequently.
Frequency and severity have both been on the rise recently. Economic signs point to this trend slowing down but it’s really too early to tell.

You’re describing price optimization which is illegal in most states (might be all of them by now). Well for insurance companies anyway. Amazon et al is free to continue dicking around with your purchasing info.

They aren’t raising rates on auto to offset home losses. Usually when a large event happens the carriers will update their catastrophe model results and this feeds into the rate need for auto comprehensive coverage.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you don’t think they’re taking auto rate to offset home losses I have a bridge for you. You can’t easily prove it since nobody is filing rates with the DOI saying they got hosed by Harvey HO losses, but the pricing folks don’t live in an auto only bubble.

I didn’t say they did and provided an example of why a loss in one line can lead to a rate need in another without any fudging going on. Reinsurance pressure is another possibility depending on the nature of the contracts.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Do you have any experience in pricing?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Bank posted:

I have an insurance policy for a condo (HO-6) that is expiring soon. The premiums jumped (doubled..) so I'm shopping. The coverage is the same so it's probably just a first year thing.

Anyway, I noticed my current insurer offers loss of use "actual loss sustained" but the new quotes I've been getting are all limited (2k/month). Does actual loss include things like rent/hotel/food etc.. for a new place? Or is it just paying for things like mortgage if I can't live in the property? I live in an HCOL area and can't imagine having to pay a mortgage and rent on another place to live..

The price difference isn't crazy ($100), so maybe the year 2 quote is good, but I just wanted to better understand this one bit. Thanks!

What does the policy say?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

My wife’s car got smashed up today so we’re having to deal with the other party’s insurance. We’re all good as far as fault because my wife’s car was parked and she was at work. I know they’re towing it to a lot to have someone look at it tomorrow. We had it towed to our place. I guess we’ll be waiting on what the claims adjuster has to say but you can’t even open the hood because the cable to the latch got cut and the frame is hosed along with the bumper being inside of the radiator now. Spoke with a few people that I know that work with vehicles and they said to expect to deal with a total loss just based on visual damage.

Any tips for minimizing the loving that progressive auto is going to try and give me?

Cooperate. The adjuster wants to close your claim as much as you do.

If they tell you to take it to a shop, ask them for a shop in their partner network. This will save you a ton of headache down the road if anything is funky with the repairs.

If they decide to total it and give you an offer, ask for the valuation report. Make sure all the options are checked that match your actual vehicle. If you really hate their offer or don't understand it, post again.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 14, 2019

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Got a couple of questions about US based insurance (I'm in Aus, so forgive if I seem dumb).

So I'm trying to understand the different types of insurance there.

Here in Aus I have:

- Health insurance (public and private)
- Life Insurance (term)
- Income Protection (Pays me if I'm disabled or injured)

In the US, I'm figuring out what I'm going to need:

- Health Insurance (paid through employer/pre-tax)
- Life insurance (term - I gather whole life is poo poo)
- Long-Term Disability

I think Long-Term Disability is the same as my Income Protection, in that it pays me if I'm disabled or injured.

My question is:

- Do people usually get long-term disability and life insurance through their employer?
- Where does dental insurance fit into this? I gather that's not usually included in most health plans.

Whole life: "poo poo" is a strong word but it's usually not ideal for most people.

LTD and life: Sometimes but even if they do, many people want more coverage so they either buy up through their employers plan (especially if you can do this pretax) or hit the private markets.

Dental is separate from health and usually easy to shop around for yourself. The coverage is generally awful for anything other than routine cleanings and minor fillings though.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The ticket and the claim are separate issues from a premium perspective. Even if you get the court to waive the ticket, your insurance carrier will have an at fault accident on your record. If you’re not reporting this to your insurance company at all and settling out of pocket then it might be worth fighting the ticket. Some carriers won’t double surcharge you so you’ll get hit once for the at fault accident and not again for the ticket but YMMV.

Unfortunately that situation sounds like 100% your fault. Your agent might say differently because they want to keep your business but I doubt an adjuster would.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 1, 2019

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does your condo policy covers water damage? Burst pipes in the walls can get tricky because of the condo owner and AOAO playing the blame game.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

If it's anything like Auto, most probably won't touch it since there's no money to be made in property damage claims. Injury attorneys work on contingency because they can actually put a lien on the settlement they get.

Honestly, if that poster thinks Liberty Mutual was wrong in denying the claim, complain to the state Department of Insurance.

That would be a bad faith which does involve big dollars but it sounds like one of those stories that gets made up and passed around by people who don't understand insurance. Little harm in getting a lawyer on board to work purely on contingency though since if there's no merit to it, they'd be wasting their own time.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have been buying auto insurance through the same agent my family has used for some time, to the tune of $1510 yearly. I have tried various agents and they all quote me at around or above that price.

My renewal is coming up, and on a whim I plugged my info into GEICO. The quote there is less than half of what I'm paying, for the same coverage. I know nothing about GEICO beyond the stupid ads. I've been very happy with my insurance company, but I'd like to save some money. Would this be a bad choice?

If you're only buying auto and are a relatively low maintenance and internet savvy consumer, there really isn't a great reason to not go with GEICO (or shop around with other carriers). Just make sure the coverages are the same. GEICO (and Progressive) are making heavy market share plays right now so they're going to be very competitive for most people. If you have multiple types of policies you'd like to keep together or significant assets/unusual exposures (like a rental property) staying with an agent who can keep all of that straight might be better for you.

Quick note -- broadly speaking in personal insurance there are two types of agents: captive and independent. Captive agents can only write for a single company (think State Farm) whereas independent agents are appointed by multiple companies and can write you policies with any one of them. There's really no point in shopping between captive agents for the same company because they have access to the same products and rates but good independents can quote you across a variety of carriers.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 11, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Would you say that’s true if you’re also interested in renters insurance (for a renter, not a landlord) in addition to auto?

You're fine. Renters insurance doesn't vary much person to person besides what limits you carry so there isn't a whole lot of potential to screw that up. You still want to discuss your needs with an agent even if you end up buying direct because I'm just a talking head on the internet but GEICO will probably facilitate you obtaining a renters policy with the auto and a discount to boot. They won't issue it on their paper but they'll partner with some other companies to get the policy written.

That said, you might be surprised at the premiums you get quoted by independent agents if you're looking at both an auto and a home (or condo/renters) policy. Many smaller low profile companies tend to be much more competitive for that segment.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

When I asked my agent about this she said something about GEICO wouldn't be able to offer me the same kind of protection or service and would try to gently caress me out of a claim.

In my experience there is a bit of a bias from the agency side towards regional/super-regional carriers and against the national giants. There is a drastic difference in claims handling between a specialty high net worth product (e.g. AIG Private Client or Chubb Masterpiece) and your bottom of the barrel non-preferred auto carrier (GEICO isn't one of these btw) but for most people the difference isn't really that large. Something else to consider is the value of "service" for each individual varies as well. One company might have great "service" because they have a call center with underwriters on staff to answer questions and process changes but that might seem antiquated and clunky to someone who prefers a DIY approach with a spiffy website and doesn't care all that much about the 500 factors that go into their premium. As with all things, YMMV.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

You mentioned home also, the biggest thing for home owners insurance for me is that they don't cover poo poo for personal possessions. Like I think my policy has 250k worth of personal possession coverage but you dig into the fine print and they don't cover poo poo for: guns, jewelry, collectibles, antiques, computers, electronics, etc. So I guess you're covered if you've got 250,000 worth of non-antique furniture and clothes or something. How anyone could have 250,000 grand worth of poo poo when all the poo poo that's actually valuable is excluded from coverage is beyond me, but I think this is an area where people think they've covered but actually are not.

Certain types of property are subject to "sublimits". For most of them you can get coverage by scheduling them on a separate endorsement which is a process your agent can walk you through. For some types of property there isn't an easy way to get coverage for like currency. This isn't exclusive to personal property either. You'll likely find sublimits under other parts of your policy like tree and shrub removal.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

So I would suggest as a next step you ask to speak to a supervisor about this because at the very least the adjuster is not communicating this well. There are some confusing parts of your post but I think I get the gist of it.

For this next bit I'm going to assume your renters policy is based on the ISO HO-4 which is very standard in the industry.

What I think the adjuster is trying to say is that there is no coverage under either the standard or what your carrier calls the "deluxe" policy. Are you sure that is the only reference to structural movement in the entire policy? The way that language is written makes me think it's in addition to the existing exclusion and not the entire exclusion on it's own. Perhaps the "deluxe" version of the renters policy adds coverage for "additions and alterations" and has separate additional exclusion language for only those items? HO policies usually have an entire exclusion and definitions surrounding "Earth Movement". It might look something like this:

quote:

Earth Movement means:
a. Earthquake, including land shock waves or tremors before, during or after a volcanic eruption;
b. Landslide, mudslide or mudflow;
c. Subsidence or sinkhole; or
d. Any other earth movement including earth sinking, rising or shifting; caused by or resulting from human or animal forces or any act of nature unless direct loss by fire or explosion ensues and then we will pay only for the ensuing loss.

Edit: I removed commentary about "additions and alterations" because it caused more confusion than it solved

Virtue fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Yeah, I have a rider that also covers alterations and additions, up to 8k or something. I can dig it out later and post it.

The way I read the exclusion is that they won't cover losses for settling to additions and alterations because that's typically what's expensive. There's a different policy supposedly (not mine) that has almost the exact same exclusion for settling but without the additions and alterations clause. Presumably this is the cheaper insurance policy while the mine has a more narrowly written one which only excludes claims on alterations and additions.

My policy only has one exclusion related to exclusions and alterations, and it has the clause specifically applying it to the alterations.

I'm not making a claim for any alterations. My claim is for the loss of use of my home caused by this foundation problem. The adjuster kept kept first quoting the wrong exclusion language to me, then when I called him out on it, said yes I was using the right one (in my policy). Then after I corrected him twice that my exclusion was only for alterations, he said it didn't matter because there was no actual loss.

But if it doesn't matter why the loss occurred because there was never any loss then why send an engineer?

The adjuster isn't saying there is no loss, they're saying there is no "covered loss" under the policy which triggers coverage. They sent an engineer to investigate whether or not the loss was covered under the policy. Again, I don't know if the adjuster is playing fast and loose with the language here but the insurance contract is a very specific thing which is why I recommended going to a supervisor.

Your ALE coverage has to be triggered by a covered loss. If there is a general "earth movement" exclusion on the policy, there is no covered loss.

What usually happens is there is an exclusion somewhere in the boilerplate policy against the "earth movement" peril. What I think happened is you purchased additional coverage (additions and alterations) and the exclusion language you cited specifically regarding this coverage. It doesn't overwrite the existing "earth movement" exclusion which would apply to your actual claim. The reason I added brought up the additions and alterations coverage at all is because you seem to think that single exclusion applies to any claim under the policy which you should clarify with the adjuster.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 6, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, IANA Insurance Adjuster, but assuming it wasn't your fault that the work needs to be done and the landlord isn't going after you for it, you wouldn't really have a liability claim under your policy. You could go after your landlord for violating your lease, in that part of the lease is providing you someplace to live, but I would bet dollars to donuts there's a clause in your lease that limits the landlord's liability for loss of use to the amount of your rent. Is that legally enforceable? That's a great question for your lawyer, assuming you no longer want to live where you're currently living. Practically speaking, your best bet is probably to suck it up and deal, join your local Tenant's Union, and lobby for better renter protections in the area where you live going forward (all of this assumes you're in America).

Liability coverage isn't involved here, this is entirely a first party issue.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Is there an easy summary or flow chart of how much insurance you should have for auto/home? For instance for auto liability, we have 100/300, which seems like a lot compared to the minimum of 30/60, but the internet seems all over the place for recommendations.

Deductible part is easy to understand, but the actual coverage amounts I can't get my head around what the numbers should be.

If you don't want to think too hard about it get a $1M umbrella policy and whatever the carrier requires as minimum underlying limits for that (probably 250/500 or 300/500). You probably want all three policies with the same company to make this work neatly.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Yeah I checked, there isn't any earth movement exclusion other than the one I quoted above. I checked several times. Otherwise, it's an all perils policy.

It's really uncommon for a standard market HO policy to not have some type of earth movement/sink hole/earthquake exclusion on it so without having the actual documents in front of me I'm out of ideas. I don't think I've seen one myself.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MJP posted:

sheri raised a good point - if I end up at an in-network hospital, and I don't have the indemnity insurance, would I just be on the hook for deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums under my health insurance? Let's say for sake of argument it's for an appendectomy, never had an issue before, and it's 1/1/2021 so I haven't been to a doctor in the deductible year yet.

The answer is yes with about fourty asterisks at the end because of out of network balance billing nonsense. More specifically if your health insurance plan is ACA compliant the maximum you'll have to pay in any given plan year is your out of pocket maximum which includes the deductibles first and then any applicable copays. Indemnity plans on top are nice to have but not necessary since the health insurance should protect you from the catastrophic scenarios (and in the world of medical billing, a routine apendectomy is far from a castrophic scenario). If you have a decent emergency fund and relatively liquid investments already like it sounds you do the cash won't make or break you but at the end of the day it's a judgment call on your part.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Assuming you're not in a really wonky situation, your home (specifically the "structure") is insured to replacement cost. However if you choose to cash out, your insurance company will likely only pay you the Actual Cash Value. Contents coverage works similarly. Usually your insurance company will issue you a check up front for the ACV, then will reimburse you the rest up to the replacement cost (subject to any applicable policy limits) once you provide proof of actually replacing the item. You'll need to send them an itemized list of what you lost to get the ball rolling.