Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sheri posted:

Also keep in mind that uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, in the vast majority of states, only covers injuries and does not cover damage to your property.

Really? I thought that uninsured / underinsured effectively took the place of their liability insurance and would cover both medical and property damage to me. So if I get hit by someone uninsured and I have no collision, I am just screwed? I'm carrying liability, comprehensive, and underuinsured / uninsured on an older vehicle right now.

Learning this is making me question my Dad's wisdom of "I've never been at fault in 40 years of driving so I won't carry collision on a brand new car." He had just been starting to win me over after he hit a deer and it was covered under comprehensive.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm having a really bizarre experience shopping for home insurance. I've run online quotes through multiple insurers hoping that a multi-line discount would get me some savings. The pattern I'm finding from online quotes at least is that the people who have good auto rates are way out of line on home, and vice-versa. There must be something about my profile where some groups think I'm a responsible driver but a home in Houston that's not in a flood plain is a huge risk, and other groups think the home is OK but I'm a maniac of a driver. The variance is 300% between quotes, its crazy. How weird that my cheapest solution is 2 different insurers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

I realize this is a general insurance thread, but how can I fight back against Geico raising my car insurance rates by 30% year over year during my latest renewal?

I have 0 accidents for the past 10+ years, I drive an (almost) 10 year old car (Audi S3) and I carry almost the maximum deductible I can, yet apparently that STILL isn't enough to keep the greedy fucks at Geico from wanting more.

I already called and ask about it, and they stated "it's just getting more expensive" which to me is an absolute bullshit excuse for raising rates by 30%. I can excuse maybe 5% per year, but 30% seems like it's worth it to kick Geico the curb and find someone else.

Good luck, I saw a similar hike from Geico, shopped around, and they remain the lowest priced option for me. Reinsurance costs are up dramatically, the replacement value of your 10 year old car has significantly increased over the last 2 years, and repair costs assuming it's repairable have also skyrocketed. You can't fight back.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm not sure if $100k property liability is enough anymore for normal people, a parking lot door ding costs $53k these days: https://jalopnik.com/fisker-ocean-totaled-over-910-door-ding-after-insurer-1851451187

quote:

The damage adjuster initially estimated that it would cost $910 to fix, but he also admitted that, in reality, it would be much higher as he was unfamiliar with the vehicle. He had no idea how right he would end up being.

Those two damaged components proved insurmountable due to a lack of available parts, according to Wanner. She also notes that Fisker itself hasn’t been really helpful during this process. Still haven’t even received a title from Fisker. Getting any answers or help from them is impossible,” she says.

Just over 30 days after the accident, the insurance company cut her a check for $53,303. Nevertheless, that payout has far from made Wanner whole.

If you hit a Rivian on the back corner, it is similarly done and those can be over $100k, so you might go over a $100k policy with a low-speed parking lot scrape.