Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have a car insurance question. Actually it may be more of a legal question, I'm not positive... A week ago someone backed into me and caused some rough cosmetic fender/bumper/headlight damage (I was leaning on my horn but he kept on goin'). He was adamant about not involving insurance, offering to give me however much cash I thought it would cost right then and there. I don't have any damned auto body knowledge, and I was worried what he'd do if I demanded his insurance (the fact he had hundreds or thousands of dollars in cash on hand really sketched me out), so I just threw out "$600" based on a recent estimate to fix my rear bumper, so he gave me $600 and that was that. I went and got an estimate on the damage he caused the next day: about $2,000...

Yes, I am a complete idiot for not demanding his insurance or asking for WAY more money, but I'm a petite girl (who is not that assertive) in a shady parking lot with a dude who keeps massive amounts of cash on hand. I got his name and actual phone number. I don't know if the name he gave me is real - I had no luck Googling it. I tried calling him several times, left messages and texts. Not surprisingly, I've gotten no answer.

I did get his plate number, though. From what I understand, I can pay to have his information looked up using that. However, I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing because it would be his word against mine... (there was a witness but he walked off). As far as I know there was no damage to his bumper, and even if there was, he could just say that I rear-ended him and I'd have no proof otherwise.

Is there anything my insurance can do, or if I track down his insurance info is there anything they can do...? I get the feeling I'm pretty much poo poo out of luck, but it can't hurt to ask. I feel like a total idiot. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Jastiger posted:

Also I should ask, do you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your auto policy?

No, just liability. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I am under 25 and my mom kinda handles the insurance right now, and liability's all she can afford, but I will keep that in mind for when I finally start handling my own stuff like an adult and get my own insurance. As for the police report, is there really any use in filing one now...? As much as I'd like to stick it to him, I'd like even more not to risk raising my own rates for my mother's sake.

This is going to sound completely retarded, but I am new to this sort of thing... How exactly should filing a police report be done? Just call the non-emergency line for the cops? Is there much use filing one for hit-and-runs or does the person who hit you have to be there? Either way, I will definitely suck up my fear of confrontation in the future and file a report.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Fantastic, thank you!