Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009
I have a question about homeowner's insurance. We got a non-renewal notice in the mail Friday. The reason the company gave was 'lack of underwriting information: no photos of dwelling'.

Some background: we bought a house last June and a week or two after we moved in, our roof got blown away in a storm. We filed a claim and sent photos of the damage to our insurance agent twice because he lost the first set. Since then, we've had the roof replaced, the insurance paid the claim without incident and we've heard nothing further. No one has asked us to provide any other photos, prior to the damage or after the repairs.

Does this sound like some kind of weird mix up that can be resolved by sending whatever pictures they need or do we need to start shopping for a different provider? If we can't fix this, is a non-renewal going to make it hard to find new insurance, or make the rates skyrocket? Some advice would be great...this is our first house and we basically know nothing about insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the response. We spent all weekend worrying about this. Called our insurance agent first thing this morning and he kind of blew it off, saying its no big deal, underwriting needs a photo of the front of the house. Nothing to do with our claim, just a photo that should have been taken when we bought the place. He said 'yeah, I've been meaning to come out and do that, just haven't had the chance.' I'm sending him the picture this morning and I'll follow up with the insurance company to make sure they got the photo, but I'm very tempted to take my business elsewhere.

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009
So, I have questions about health insurance and forgery and who knows what else. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

I had to go to the Urgent Care the other day, and then yesterday, I sat down to double-check some things on our policies. I’m not as educated about health insurance as I should be, and I ran into a bunch of suspicious things that I don’t know if I should worry about or not. We have a policy from Assurant Health and then a secondary policy from TransAmerica, both through my husband’s employer. So, here are my questions:

1. I was flipping through the TransAmerica statement of benefits and I came to the last page, a form titled “HospitalSelect II Enrollment Form.” Looking at it, I noticed that the signature on it was not my own, but I thought maybe my husband signed it for me – until I looked at his signature, which was quite obviously forged as well. To be clear, my husband’s employer started providing this policy at the beginning of the year after our old supplemental provider went bust. All along, we were told that if we wanted to continue using the Assurant policy, we needed to pay for the TransAmerica policy, too. I’ve been against it from the start because it really doesn’t cover anything.

The question here is: Could my husband or I be in some kind of trouble for someone else forging our signatures on this page? As yet, I’m not sure who to pursue about this – the person who signed our names is either the company's insurance agent or someone in the HR department. I'm guessing that whoever did this either figured the employees wouldn't sign or they were just too lazy to distribute the forms to 200 employees – either way, it feels wrong to me, and I can't believe I've only just now noticed it.

2. Is TransAmerica a pyramid scheme/lovely company? I did some googling and ran across lots different user reviews and such that said yes, they were MLM, but didn’t find anything concrete. Most of what I found dealt with life insurance and companies that are somehow related to TransAmerica.

3. Dug a little deeper on health care regulations and ran across this page that basically says discount plans are not actually considered health insurance:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0165-discount-plan-or-health-insurance

Now, from what I’ve read about it, our plan through Assurant sounds exactly like a discount plan. Whenever we go to the doctor or have a prescription filled, the Assurant plan doesn’t actually pay anything to anyone. Instead, we get a statement in the mail that says something to the effect of: Billed Amount: $300, Allowed Amount: $200, Discount Amount: $100, You Owe: $200.

So, does this mean that we technically don’t have health insurance and should be paying the ACA penalties? Or am I hopefully misunderstanding this?

TL/DR: Not sure if I’m being melodramatic or if my husband’s employer and their insurance agent is getting us into some kind of serious insurance problem.

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I wouldn't put it past HR companies or agents to "robosign" a bunch of documents in order to get everything set up for the employees.
TransAmerica is a really big company. I think they are distributed in a really lovely way, but they do actually offer a decent product, particularly life insurance. I"m a bit confused as to how you have a health policy. It sounds like you have something similar to AFLAC which isn't really health insurance, but more a disability policy or supplemental benefits policy-NOT health insurance. I'd definitely call their customer service number and have them explain the documents to you in detail because thats the vibe I"m getting here.

Health insurance should provide coverage for things like urgent care. You should be paying your co pay and paying down that deductible. If your company is outright not doing ANYTHING that is kind of a red flag for me. Definitely give them a call and discuss with the companies directly and with your husbands HR department what is actually offered and what you're paying for.

As for the ACA penalties and stuff, I don't want to say 100% yes or no since I'm not super clear on the law. May be worth hitting healthcare.gov to see what answers they have for you.

You're right about the TransAmerica policy - it sounds exactly like an AFLAC-style supplemental policy. I've not tried to use it yet, but from all I've heard, no one at my husband's company has actually gotten the TransAmerica policy to pay for anything - surgeries, ER visits, doctor visits. Somewhat unsurprising since they have this MASSIVE list of exclusions and limitations, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and get clarification. Though, the urgent care isn't that expensive, so I'm not too worried about that.

On the subject of Assurant, they're an odd one. We don't make co-pays - we just get discounted bills. That's what made me think that maybe our Assurant plan was one of those discount plans. I checked out healthcare.gov, and they said much the same thing as the FTC - plans that only offer discounts towards medical services don't count as health insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/plans-that-count-as-coverage/

But, I forgot to mention that our Assurant plan has a $7500 per person deductible, which we've never met, but supposedly, they'll start paying after that point. So I guess since they do pay after we hit the deductible, that means that they're not a discount plan? Like you said, I'll give Assurant a call tomorrow too and verify all this. My biggest concern at this point is whether or not Assurant is a discount plan or actual health insurance.