Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

It's long-term disability insurance generally worth it?

I'm going through benefits for a new job, and I could get LTD with a six-month waiting period (I'd get 3-6 months of paid medical leave of 90% of my salary during this waiting period) for $288 a year. I make 96,000 a year.

That seems cheap to me, what is the benefit amount and benefit period?

If I signed up for LTC insurance through work they give us a bunch of options to choose from. Our premiums change with your age too. For example I used the premium calculator and at my employer the lowest I could get it to go was $36 a month. That only gets me a 90 day waiting period followed by $100/day benefit payment for 2 years, with a 3% annual adjustment for inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

We had a not-at-fault accident that the insurer has been kind of a pain in the rear end in handling it. Tl;dr we're a single car household and paid for rental coverage. The insurance is limiting our days of rental because "the repair should have taken this long, and we're past that" and our car is not yet ready. The policy is 30 days, which we haven't hit yet.

The person handling the claim has been rude and unprofessional and we've been with them for 6 years claim free.

How long after an accident can I change carriers?
Does a not-at-fault accident raise your rates?

USAA did this to me when my car was totalled a few years back. Stopped paying for the rental before I hit the policy limit and didn't tell me. Pissed me off.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

No one reads the policy. The policy limit is for repairs. A total loss would trigger the rental being due back based on what's written once a Total loss offer is made and no stating you don't accept the offer doesn't pause the clock. My company has probably the shortest return period of 3 days and it can shock people because if everything is lined up a total loss can be paid in a day. It sucks because you are thinking you have time to car shop

Yep, that's exactly what happened! The part that annoyed me was the car rental place were the ones who told me (2 days after USAA had stopped paying). If they hadn't bothered to call I would have been out of pocket for at least a week of car rental if not more. I would have been fine with it had I been notified in a timely manner.

Live and learn.